Promo code requests (claiming to be) from macrumors.com

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by GlennX, Dec 25, 2009.

1. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    There is someone posing as Arn, asking for promo requests for macrumors.com, using the obviously incriminating email address [email protected]

Look out for this idiot. I had a little fun with him today, sent a bunch of random numbers, started up a conversation and told him what I thought if him.

What really irritates me isn't the fact he is trying to steal codes but that there might be developers out there waiting for a macrumors feature to drag their apps into the limelight.

2. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Yea, I saw a developer posting about this on twitter. You'd think if he was so desprate for free apps he'd just jailbreak his device (not that I think stealing apps via jailbreaking is right, just that it seems like a much eaiser way to get apps for free...)

3. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    ya, we don't send out promo requests generally. (either macrumors or toucharcade).

So, be suspect.

arn

4. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    From "Adam Braverman" I presume. Yeah he's fake.

We get a hefty amount of these emails, and it's a good idea to check their domain they are emailing from, and request an email to be sent using the correct domain for verification purposes instead of gmail or hotmail.

5. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

He wrote to us a few weeks ago. I asked him to send e-mail from @macrumors.com e-mail address, and he never replied back.

Cheers,
    ILIYA

6. lazrhog

lazrhog Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK
    Yep this is the mail I got...

Hi

On behalf of*http://www.macrumors.com/*I would like to know if we could have a Free iTunes Code for your Applications so we could review them for our website's special holiday/year end app review bash?

Cheers,
    Macrumors.

Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

Arn confirmed this was not legit so keep a look out

7. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

Got the same thing. I thought it was a little strange that Arn was sending me such a poorly written, impersonal email :)

8. ReignDesign

ReignDesign Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Just a heads up that this guy is still at it - we just got one of these requests today:

9. kiancheong

kiancheong Well-Known Member

Special Holiday? Year End? This guy must be living in the paaasssttt!

I got this email as well, he asked for iType2Go's promo code.. I was quite happy for a while until I noticed the Hotmail tag.. gotcha!

So, I sent him some nonsense promo-impersonator-code.. and guess what, he responded back by saying thanks and that he will reply soon with a draft of the review..

LOL!!

10. exosyphen

exosyphen Well-Known Member

Hello friends,

I have 18.000.000 US Promo Codes from a customer who just passed away.
    I need someone to help me get them out of the country. I am willing to give him 20% of the codes.

Please get in touch with me for more details.

11. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

BWAHAHAHHA! :D:D:cool:

I wish we were cool enough to get phished :(

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    One phishing scam coming right up :)

13. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Is macrumors and TA owned by the same person?

14. malphigian

malphigian Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Funny, just got one of these today and was searching the email address because I figured no way someone from macrumors uses an @live address -- I mean, MS owns it!

He must be just generally spamming app developers with games in the top 100 sold, since I doubt he actually wants our apps for preschoolers :p.

15. exosyphen

This is like the nigerian scam :)

16. Venan

Venan Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Yep, definitely sent this putz a code, although I did pause at the live.com address. Live and learn I guess. Maybe he left a good review.

17. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

he doesnt review there...
    (not arn, the guy who sent the email)

18. exosyphen

Given the amount of shady business going on in the App Store, I would be amazed to find a developer who requests promo codes from "competitors" and than leaves fake bad reviews.

I can easily register macroumorrs.com and get through unnoticed.

19. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    What an idiot, really if you have nothing better to do than try to rip off Dev's you really have no life. I have an idea on a decent prank to pull on that guy, hopefully I can scare the crap out of him, that idiots going down.

20. Venan

Venan Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    I know... I meant user review.