Universal Bladeslinger - (by Kerosene)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ruggedland

ruggedland Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    I have an idea for dev. Why not include the content originally planned for EP2 as a free update to EP1? This will win you a lot of good wills among gamers (and really make EP1 a worthy release), and then go back to drawing board and think about a new sequel. I'm ok with the new control style, and don't need IAP anyway, but the lack of variation and content is my biggest complaint. Basically we're talking about the regular or armored zombie, the reaper, barman, and the sheriff. That's it.

2. hellokitt

hellokitt Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Beautiful looking game and exciting combat! I love that it has free roaming environments too.

3. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    Free roam? Didn't know this. Are the Free roam areas bland?

4. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm stuck at Chapter 2, General Blacksmith. Where to go next after defeating the boss inside? Went back all the way to the start of chapter 2 but still can't find a way to progress.

5. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    You've already defeated the Barman? If so, there should be a trigger at the bottom of the stairs inside the Saloon where you click to walk upstairs to the Bordello. This ends Chapter 2.

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

6. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Thanks, hellokitt!

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

7. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    We're actually working an update that should be available next month, and plan to continue working on additional content and improvements / polish for many months still. And of course, we're taking many of our cues from the feedback of this community.

If you'd like to support us in this effort, one of the most helpful things you can do is to rate and review the game in the App Store. We *ARE* just a small team of good-hearted developers trying to make ambitious games that break new ground and appeal to traditional core gamers. We think that's you guys (right?), so your feedback is really important to us. Keep it coming and thanks so much for all the well wishes & comments here and via PM. You guys are great :)

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

8. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    We think these are fair points, for sure. The combination of not doing a good enough job coaching new players through the new control design AND perhaps being a bit too lean on currency awards in battle (particularly for players that haven't adequately learned evasion and defense -- dodging and blocking)...it can feel like a trap. And other games with IAP *do* this, so it's understandable that games might think the same of Bladeslinger if they're playing, and it feels tough, and they don't know how to get better, and the easiest path to success seems to just be IAP. Not great on our part, and we're definitely working to make this better.

In the update we have planned for next month, you'll see some work we've done to address both of these issues. A little softer difficulty ramp, particularly in Chapters 1 and 2, combined with improved instructions for learning the controls and combat systems. We think if players give the game a chance and stick with it, as many players on this forum have done, they'll like it and realize there are no paywalls in the game, no traps set to be unlocked only with IAP...only a challenging game with plenty to explore and discover for the determined player who enjoys a challenge and building skill.

Bladeslinger is not perfect. We know that. But we are proud of the game we've made and we want to keep making it better by incorporating feedback into updates from players like you guys. Thank you all for taking the time to play our game and let us know what you think!

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

9. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Are you not seeing a door trigger (big orange circle) at the town gates?

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

10. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
  11. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I don't think I've defeated the barman. There isn't any option to go into the saloon. The last house I've been inside is General Blacksmith and I've defeated the mobs inside already.

12. Chippit

Chippit New Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Game Developer
    South Africa
    #512 Chippit, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    We've been made aware of a bug that can cause the Saloon doors not to activate correctly if you die in the combat immediately subsequent to the cutscene outside of the Saloon (the one outside the General Blacksmith). Do you remember if this is the case for you, by any chance?

This issue will be fixed in our next update, but unfortunately you'll have to restart that chapter as we're unable to retroactively repair your save file. You won't lose any of the items/gold/upgrades you've accumulated up to that point, though, and if you're careful not to die in that particular combat again, you don't need to wait for the update. We're really sorry for the inconvenience, though. I know losing progress isn't any fun. :(

13. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    The controls seem fine to me , but i just started this game on an ipad and the big screen helps. Other than that i was blown away when i saw the textures in this game, they are unbelievable .

14. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    This tech demo is not even worth it for free ,*deleted the Canadian free version*

15. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Obviously this game polarizes opinion but whether you like something or not there's a right and a wrong way to give constructive criticism, especially in a forum where you're interacting directly with the people who made it.

Before anyone posts brutal feedback, maybe take a moment to imagine how it would feel to be on the receiving end of it.

I'm not in love with Bladeslinger but I think some tweaks and additional content could make it really special if the devs don't get disheartened by some overly negative comments.

Unrelated to the gameplay, the artwork in the menus and shop items is stunning btw. The presentation is gorgeous.

16. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I agree. The vitriol being spewed is getting ridiculous. You can dislike the game without going over the top in criticism.

17. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Funny, I was going to post this, thought better of it for a while, and then just read Callmericardo's post, so here it is:

First, I really appreciate your presence in the forum.

Second, I appreciate your tone and the way you respond to comments/criticism.

Finally, and this is more for everyone than specifically for you...

I am NOT saying or implying that you set out to build a premium game that demands IAP purchases. I just want that to be clear. My point, which I think you got completely based on your response, is that including IAPs in a premium game is a sticky proposition. I get that developers are doing it more and more, but it really changes the vibe of a game to have the store staring you in the face while you're trying to actually play the game, fumble around, die a lot, level up, etc.

In a premium game, you really do need to delineate a pretty clear path to victory sans IAPs. Otherwise, you're going to quickly become swamped in "Boo IAP" comments and reviews (witness PG's review).

While some wax poetic about how IAP is a "helpful friend," it's really tough not to see the other side of it, especially when your aim is to actually play a game, not pay your way through to the end as quickly as possible.

Oh, and you guys SHOULD be proud. One thing I will stand by is my impression that the controls can and do work, and represent a rethinking of the iOS platform that is simultaneously ahead of it's time and overdue.

As for the IAP situation? Frankly, based on your responses and your tone, I'm not overly concerned. I think you're right, it a matter of getting the "mix" right, and I fully believe you will.;):)

Best,

DBC

18. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    So, saying, "This game blows" isn't constructive? Huh, who knew?:rolleyes:

DBC

19. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I don't remember if I died, but I most likely did. I'll be mindful of the bug when I try the chapter again.

20. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    http://www.touchgen.net/bladeslinger-ep-1-review

Touchgen gave it a 4.5/5, if you needed any proof that this is a game worthy of your time, and not the tech demo that pocketgamer thinks it is, here it is. Just goes to show that pg didn't spend enough time with it. Once you get accustomed to the controls it's really a great game.

Keep up the good work!