Universal Time Surfer (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Wasn't going to buy this cause I don't like tiny wing like games too much, but considering the Bean's quest thread in the price reduction has given me so much joy and laughs today, maybe I should reconsider.

If I don't like tiny wings, will I like this? You can pm me. Thxs

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I HATE tiny wings, but LOVE this. =oP

3. ChrisJT

ChrisJT Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    anybody else finding this game pretty difficult? granted beans quest was also pretty hard too ... damn wish i was better

4. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I find that very odd. They're very similar games, with Tiny Wings being clearly superior.

5. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Yes it's hard but exhilarating at the same time... Especially when there's no more rewind left and your surfer dude is right up against a double spike...exhilarating isn't it!!:)

6. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Think I crossed the tough black and white sparse divides once and that's my high score. Haven't been able to get the speed at the right moment to do it again. Ok think I'll play that other game that's similar....

7. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Ok I just played one game of Tiny Wings after a long break from it and its great so that that's!

8. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Anyone? :/

9. Mr Kumobius

Mr Kumobius Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Hi KiddToKmart,

That is very odd. We test iCloud quite a bit and it should sync costumes, rank, flairs and stats!

Have you tried killing the app via multitasking and maybe re-opening the app on both devices? Of course make sure both are connected to the internet and iCloud with Applications/Data syncing is turned as well in your settings. Sorry if these sound like simplistic things to check I just want to make sure!

Also can you tell me what the 2 devices are exactly? Which generations of iPads/iPhones they are and what version of iOS is installed on each? If we have the same combination at our office I'll make sure we wipe the iCloud saves and test specifically with that combination :)

10. >:D

>:D Active Member

Mar 14, 2012
    #110 >:D, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    [​IMG]
    (Sorry, not sure how to resize it)
    Well I only just got this game today and I'm already #5 in the leaderboards for hell zone as of when I'm writing this. :p Has anyone else here got higher? Really enjoying this so far, I wish there were some achievements though. Going to try and go for 2000, I was only one off.

11. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    #111 KiddToKmart, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

Thanks for your response.

I have an iPad Mini on 6.0.1 and an iPhone 4S on 5.1.1.

1. I started off on my Mini, played for 2-3 hours and shut the app down from the Multitasking Bar.

2. I went into Settings > iCloud. Documents & Data is 'On'.

3. Went into Storage and Backup > Back Up Now, just for good measure.

4. Then went into Manage Storage. It shows my two devices on top (the iPhone and iPad) and below that, a list of 'Documents and Data' adding up to 8.5 MB of save data, which is stored on iCloud.

5. I clicked on 'Show All' to view all the cloud-saved data. Among this list are other games and apps I play/use, including Fifa 13, NBA 2k13, Pocket Planes, GTA: Vice City, Swordigo, Rayman, etc... BUT, no entry for Time Surfer.

6. I went back a screen, and clicked on the specific iPad I am using to see which backup files are included. When I expand the view by tapping on 'Show All Apps' on this section, I do see Time Surfer.

To sum up the above, Time Surfer is included as being 'backed up' but is not registering as a game that supports iCloud saves, apparently.

Hope the above is helpful in fixing this - let me know if I can provide screenshots/any other details to help.

Cheers!

EDIT: Soon after posting the above, I:

a. Closed all apps on both devices, then powered both down.

b. Turned on the Mini (while the iPhone was still off), fired up Time Surfer, played 2 games, unlocked Samurai Surfer (for testing purposes), and closed the game down from the Multitasking bar.

c. Turned on the iPhone, deleted Time Surfer and reinstalled it from the App Store.

d. To check if anything changed, I went back into Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage > Show All (Documents & Data). Still no Time Surfer in the list!

e. Fired up Time Surfer (freshly installed) on the iPhone. Gamecenter greeted me in-game, so that was working fine. I tapped on PLAY, and it made me go through the tutorial as if it was my first playthrough / install. The game's initial missions came up as well, and my cake-count was of course reset (along with costumes, etc).

For some reason, the game's save from my iPad Mini isn't being uploaded to Cloud it seems. Other games (Tiny Towers, Pocket Planes, etc) seem to work just fine however... :/

12. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Nice score, well done! Matt has the highest Hell Zone score around here that I know of, at 2,313.

13. Mr Kumobius

Mr Kumobius Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Hey KiddToKmart,

Whoa, super detailed analysis and testing. Nice, thank you! :D

There are 2 possibilities here that we'll test: the difference between the versions of iOS on your devices and the hardware of the devices themselves.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience! I realise iCloud is a handy feature, especially with so many things to unlock and missions to get through.

We'll test the iOS version difference first and if that fails we'll invest in an iPad mini - this is a good excuse for us to pick one up! :p

14. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback - it's always nice to have a problem personally looked into... that too, for a fantastic game like this :)

I did some more digging into this issue and came across this link:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3600118?start=0&tstart=0

"If you have iCloud’s mobile backup feature enabled, the service will store your app’s data—its documents, game saves, etc—but will not sync it to other computers or devices."

I never knew about this and it seemed very surprising. But for the sake of testing things out (again), I proceed to disable the Mini's iCloud backup feature. Then, I even went ahead and deleted the entire iCloud backup file which was stored for the Mini (effectively erasing the Time Surfer backup data on iCloud) in hopes of having the game create a new file to store on Apple's server and push it across my other device, instead of just storing it on the server as back up as the link above suggested.

So after deleting the iPad Mini backup + disabling automatic backup (and ensuring the Documents setting was still on 'On' mode, I went ahead and played a few more rounds.

And well...???

.... it still didn't work. The file never got uploaded on iCloud. It never manages to make it on the Documents/Data list along with all of the save files for my other games.

Feeling frustrated, I dug further and found this link, related to Galaxy on Fire 2:

https://forum.fishlabs.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6052&hilit=iCloud&start=10#p57608

Scroll to the bottom. Tried everything there, and still no luck.

Dug a tiny bit more, and came across this. Perhaps this could help you in figuring out what the problem is and/or implementing a fix:

http://gamedevcoder.wordpress.com/2012/07/09/robust-icloud-implementation-for-games/

Cheers!

15. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    It's just opinion... But this is leaps and bounds above TW.

Again... IMO...

But since it's so clear to you, what makes it so?

16. Mattosai

Mattosai Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Excellent game, a tiny wing like but overall a lot better and addictive

17. graham

graham Member

Jan 22, 2010
    "Die Between" 1,000m and 1,5000m

Anyone else having trouble with the objective "Die between 1,000m and 1,500m from the End of the Universe"?

There's a little counter on the bottom that ticks down and eventually says "NOW" when you're in the right spot (I assume) and "FAIL" when you pass 1,500 meters - but I've tried killing myself over and over in the "NOW" period - both letting the game end and rewinding time, and I'm not completing the objective. Am I missing something?

Loving the game!

18. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Hi Graham, it won't work if you die by falling into a pit, or by spikes, you have to die specifically by having 'the end of the universe' catch up with you... Have you done that?

19. Derris-Kharlan

Derris-Kharlan New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Yep! It's going to be on bandcamp as soon as cover art is finalized. Stay tuned!!!

20. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Nice, I just had a hell of a run- 2891 m.

Really could've used a fire beetle at the end tho! That's the thing I dislike about the pets..I think you have a greater chance of going broke before you get a run where that pet will have any real influence on a new highscore.