iOS gaming channels, mostly commentary and gameplay on YouTube?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bacon-N-eggs, May 1, 2012.

1. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Hey guys, sorry to be asking so many questions lately but I'v been really thinking of opening up a gaming channel on YouTube, mostly focusing on iOS games. I know a ton of gaming channels for PS3, Xbox, and PC but non for us iOS gamers. :(

Maybe a few reviews, but mostly just gameplay with live commentary. Would you check it out, or are there no well know iOS gameplay/commentary channels for a reason? Personally I think mobile gaming will take a much larger market share when the next gen phones and consoles come out. If not only due to price and the fact that nearly everyone and their mother play games on their phones now.... added to the fact the the next gen phones/idevices will be pushing some impressive CPU power... Also mixed with the ease of Indy game making, I think the phone/idevice market is ready to explode in not already! :D

Thanks in advance for any feedback

2. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    yep, i'd definitely check that out. maybe something like invisible walls

3. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Some people might watch it if you are funny or interesting while you commentate but you still won't get very many viewers... Not many people want to watch you play games on your phone.

4. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I mainly like to watch the reviews on YouTube, but if I am trying to decide whether to get a game I will watch some gameplay videos as well to get a better idea of how the game looks. The dev trailers are nice and flashy, but usually don't give me a good feel for how the game actually plays!

5. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Theres already a few like appspy and a few individual people... If you do go through with it make sure you're funny,cater to the audience and give them more than just watching you play... Whether it be review bAsed or achievement based or whatever...

6. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    If you mean like a "Let's Play", then there really isn't much of an audience for that.

I don't think iOS games lend themselves to the format well, what with being short and then you have to consider who you want to target and how you'll market yourself.

By all means, if the set up cost isn't too high, give it a shot - being the first at something can lead to great rewards but, just in case, don't invest too heavily.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree with the above, cant stand dev trailers, complete waste of money and time, just show us some gameplay.

Same for youtube videos, if its a 'magazine' show eg 4 or 5 reviews in a single video i would subscribe for sure. Some people like comedy (Eg the Angry Videogaming Nerd) but for youtube reviews i just like plain reviews, tell me what the games like, if its any good and a rating and i'll make my mind up from that.

But there are a fair few on youtube already so you'll have to be patient as your views could be low to begin with and then hopefully will steadily rise

8. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    i think if you cover the relatively smaller and unknown games, that review sites like AppSpy dont, then maybe you would get some viewers, I know i would definitely check it out.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep good point, instead of going for the big mainstream games (Which so many youtube videos cover) go for some great 'underated/not so well known' titles.

The problem is theres soooo many games in the App store, we know its terrible searching itunes for games, if there was a list of games to try it would be brilliant.

Just found some recent vector games i didnt know existed which i downloaded recently, not reviews in any mags or sites just found them by accident.

Used to have an app 'free app hero' which told you about the best free apps (as the name tells you !) and i found a few good uns due to that.

But yeah i would go for best 'not so well known' games as most people know about the big releases.

10. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Actually there are some games that could be done really well. They are usually no the popular games but some games with a narrative structure work well for LPs. I was actually going to start an LP channel for iOS titles but I have no mic to record.

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Well there are a few, but are there enough to sustain a long-running series? That's what I'm thinking - would you mind telling me a few examples? (I'm thinking ShadowGun or Dark Meadow or the like).

12. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
  13. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Some major games like Dead Space and Dark Meadow would work well. Other games of the top of my head would be Crow, Waking Mars, Trundle, Spider, some adventure titles, Junk Jack, Chaos Rings, and other genres sans the endless runner could work. I have a list I was working on at home but I still lack a mix to get it done.