Universal FINAL FANTASY IV - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 19, 2012.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #101 L.Lawliet, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    I'm gonna go buy their other RPGs as well since I already own FFT. I think Chaos Rings 2 (or the older ones) and Song Summoner are good choices.

---------------

Btw, the game does NOT have those FF4 black bars. Unless it's special for a device version. Mine on the 5G touch is stretched and I barely notice it. I actually may prefer the stretch to take up the extra space. If it looked terrible of course I'd rather have bars but that's not the case.

2. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Are those borders with the logo from the iPhone 5??

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    [​IMG]

Here's a screen cap I personally took from my device.

4. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    [​IMG]

These borders are really annoying. It also does the shitty thing in which your guy stops moving if you drag your finger past the borders.

maybe i should just suck it up and play with borders off.

5. bookspinner

bookspinner New Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Can anyone confirm that this game has icloud game save sync? :s

6. Otaku73

Otaku73 Member

Oct 27, 2009
    #106 Otaku73, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    Hey, I have a simple question. I live in Germany, does the game support multi languages? Ok I got my answer, and its a yes.

7. Sakuranbo

Sakuranbo Member

Jan 26, 2009
    On my iPhone 5 it fluctuates between around 30fps and 15fps, depending on what's going on. Battles generally run badly. There's really no excuse for it, given the super low end nature of the visuals.

Also the 'widescreen' support is truly pathetic, as it's just the regular iPhone screen ratio stretched horizontally, complete with doubled up pixels.

Have to say this is a really lazy effort from Square.

8. Sakuranbo

Sakuranbo Member

Jan 26, 2009
    It doesn't support iCloud unfortunately.

9. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    So this looks great, but I did some research and I'm wondering exactly what kind of choices the game gives you that add to the strategy. In ff3 it was all about choosing a good mix of different classes, but now that you don't pick the classes anymore what other strategy is involved? I like ff, but if it's just going to be a linear grind then I think I'll pass.

10. Demonskunk

Demonskunk Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    FMVs?

does the game include the FMVs that the DS version had? it pissed me off that III didn't include an HD version of that awesome intro cutscene, and I'm probably just going to beat the DS version of IV instead if they didn't bother to include the sweet CG cutscenes.

what's with square and their CG cutscene hate on iOS? anyone notice that they removed all of the FMV stuff from any games they ported?

11. Sakuranbo

Sakuranbo Member

Jan 26, 2009
    I haven't seen any CG cut scenes in it yet.

12. Seil

Seil Growtopia Seed Master

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    There's the Augment system. Rather than explain it, I'll just leave you with this link

13. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Hmm it's a bit annoying that its Universal without iCloud sync. I wish games just followed the method GTA:VC uses.

Anyway cool game, and I'm intrigued to hear FF V and more may be coming. It's funny to think an iPhone may one day hold the entire FF catalogue pre-FF X

14. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I like when SE charges 4 bucks more on the Japanese app store...
    I also like the fact that there are ALWAYS comments saying that it is so cheap, it's a bargain and that it should be more expensive.

How intriguing, isn't it?

15. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Games in general are more expensive in Japan, though x.x But they also know they can get away with it over there. They're aware that they're already pushing the limit elsewhere and their fanbase isn't quite as strong/loyal.

And although I find most of SE's prices to be overpriced, I also kind of like it better than everything being super cheap. (I wish they would stop the free with an ungodly expensive set of IAP trend, though, and stick to the one moderately high price for full featured games)

I think the assumption that games aren't worth more than $1-3 because they're on the app store is an awful thing for the gaming industry x.x Especially when games that would easily be going for $15-20 on Steam is being chastised for being $5 on the App Store.

And so we see a ton of $1-3 games that are often ruined or at least flawed by the use of IAP because otherwise they can't make money. (We also see companies just trying to milk people via IAP, though. And they just spread the problem.)

Anyway, I personally think the game should honestly be at least a couple bucks cheaper than it currently is, but considering it is a still relevant remake I'm not too upset. I'm on the fence about buying it, though. Especially with other SE titles I've been on the fence about going on sale.

16. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    sure, I hate IAP so I don't care paying a bit more if I can get rid of it but that much is too much(and it s a port from a port!)
    on a side note, I did buy it but I hope it is worth the price, the Japanese price haha.

30% cut but no license fee, no required QA appliance, no distribution chain either, no package, no hard either, no manual for many...
    so they can't reasonably charge the same price but yeah, I am all against 1 buck games full of IAP. That's a disaster.

By the way, except SE, all the games I buy, here in Japan, match the US appstore price.

SE is THE exception. perhaps there are others but that's not the rule at all.

17. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    I'm a firm advocator of decreased pricing in digital releases, so I know where you're coming from on that front. SE is, in general, higher than what I would consider "proper," but at least they aren't contributing to the other side of the problem.

I'm not so much justifying their pricing, I simply consider it the lesser of two evils, haha. I buy very few of their iOS releases when not on sale due to this. I really wish they would just keep their games around $10-11 rather than $15-20. They would likely see a significant increase in sales, too.

And yeah, I figured the App Store would probably be more balanced pricing wise. I was referring more to the console market. SE seems to have shunned the concept of the App Store's pricing scheme(outside of their "free" releases, anyway). So, seeing as a game in a store or even digitally on consoles is usually more expensive in Japan, it just doesn't surprise me that SE does that on the App Store.

Anyway, let us know how you feel about the purchase. I'm in a "yeah, no, yeah, no...." phase right now, haha... Especially with TWEWY on sale, seeing as I absolutely loved the original. Having trouble with all of the sales going on at the moment >.<

18. ipad_game

ipad_game New Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I have never played one of these games before, but I am doubting it is worth to pay that price when you can buy other games (possibly just as good or even better) for a third of the price. Is it worth it???

19. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    It really depends on the person. In my opinion, there aren't many iOS RPGs that come close to the FF series overall. So, for a big RPG gamer they can be a decent investment. And for FF fans that didn't play this remake on the DS, this would probably be intriguing.

If you're an oldschool RPG fan and haven't played Chrono Trigger, I would probably recommend grabbing it instead because it's one of my favorite RPGs of all time and it's held up against the test of time(in my opinion). Especially if the price is what puts you on the fence.

Whether it is worth the price or not is subject to the customer in question, and since I don't know your preferences I can't really help you decide, haha.

20. Snacks48

Snacks48 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    There are two very good reason why FMVs are not in squares iOS games. 1. the file size for CG cutscenes is HUGE, not something you want when most iOS users are running on limited space. 2. Not only that but most of them are low resolution and wouldn't look so pretty on retina display. Redoing FMVs takes a LOT of work.

So for iPhone 5 users do they get the option of stretched view or borders? I don't understand the above conversation, was he trolling? Also does the device really suffer frame rate drops? I find that hard to believe considering how smooth it runs other games.