Dungeon Keeper iOS (F2P), Winter 2013

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by undeadcow, Aug 21, 2013.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #1 undeadcow, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08/20/electronic-arts-and-mythic-studio-will-bring-the-classic-game-dungeon-keeper-to-android-later-this-year/

I'm curious but skeptical, if freemium mobile Dungeon Keeper works out then great... if not there's always the upcoming Cursed Realms from Banshee Soft (aka Mission Europa guy).

2. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Crap, I broke my thread with excessively large pictures making reply difficult and moderator notification inaccessible. I am PMing a moderator to fix.

3. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Wow awesome! Loved that series, although forgive me for my ignorance but does pvp mean its just multiplayer?

4. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, PvP is player versus player so multiplayer.

5. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I thought I had a stroke from yelling at my TV watching these load.
    I was all pumped becuase this brought back some serious memories.
    Then I saw F2P and punched the table.

6. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    F2P initially sounds disappointing but EA was very fair with Plants Vs Zombies 2 (no paywalls) at launch so there's hope.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Wow... One of my favorite RTS games of yester-years re-upped. Im pretty excited.

As mentioned, i wont worry much about the pay model yet, so far EA has shown that they can balance the model to a more manageable and acceptable level.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'll keep an eye out for this but i've totally lost faith with EA which is a shame, used to be one of my favourite companies in the 90's.

I hope this isnt freemium

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It will be freemium.

10. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Great news! Hope the IAP is good. :D

11. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    I think people stress a bit too much over Freemium these days any way, if I'm honest I think it has been quite some time since I last played a freemium game where I thought "now that's a shitty paywall". A lot of people run the freemium model these days but I think a lot have cottoned on to just how hated the model is if implemented badly so at least try to make it fair.

I could be wrong but I am cautiously optomistic with this one.

12. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    Ohhhh boy, this is going to be filled with in-app-purchases and bullshit. I'd gladly pay $10 for an iPad port of DK 1 or 2. (Never had much luck getting DK 2 running on any computer made after around the bronze age.)

13. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Check out Dungeon Keeper 2 on GOG; they specalize in updating older games to work on modern systems and digital download releases. They have an edition of Dungeon Keeper 2 compatible with Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8).

http://www.gog.com/game/dungeon_keeper_2

14. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Sadly many years ago while playing the first Dungeon Keeper I had almost beat the final dungeon but the game kept crashing and I wasn't ever able to finish the game. I'm still in therapy from that traumatic experience. :eek:

15. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Please please please don't ruin this with IAP. This game deserves better, and so do we.

*beg beg beg

16. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Damn the first one was excellent... the second, well wasnt that good... and the third one never came so this will fill that void pretty well... only thing that worries me are IAPs, have to try PvZ 2 to get a taste I guess. Looking really forward to "infiltrate" all your bases soon :p

17. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Doesn't look good:

http://www.touchgen.net/dungeon-keeper-loses-its-dark-soul

18. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
  19. Kbcorwin

Kbcorwin Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    God's buddy
    Seattle, Washington
    I acknowledge that advertising is against the rules, and I am in no way affiliated with ryan Mitchell nor am I benefitting in any way by promoting his work, but he's been working on Cursed Realms, based on games like DK, in all truth his other games haven't quite had the polish required in many mobile games, he is one guy working to make a game while also managing a day job and family, so far the game is coming along very well, it's in alpha. I won't post a link because I think it's against the rules (and I don't know how) but you can probably find it by searching for ryanmitchellgames. Sorry of this seems like advertising, but this is a sincere attempt at exposing some DK fans to a game which could interest them, as it seems like EAs take on it won't.

20. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England