Antitype - A Game About Opposites (BorderLeap)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by borderLeap, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. borderLeap

borderLeap Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Founder & Game Creator @ BorderLeap
    Hey all! Super excited to announce my newest game, Antitype!

Antitype is a game all about opposites. With a clue and your knowledge of the alphabet, you'll change opposing letters to decipher each pair of opposite words.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Antitype's minimalistic style is quite disproportionate to its level of difficulty... Completing a level involves figuring out what the opposite words are, then working with letters available within that attempt to solve each word.

Levels are uniquely shuffled to where every attempt has its own solution. In other words, no one will have an unfair advantage and leaderboards will be genuinely competitive ;)

[​IMG]

There are over 300 levels... and they get quite difficult!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Antitype will be releasing this month for $1.99 with zero ads or IAP. I will have a handful of promo codes before release if anyone would like to play - just reply here in this thread. Thanks everyone! -Nate

Here's a video to give you a sneak peek :)

2. Patthegymnast

Patthegymnast Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Ill love a code! Thx! Looks really cool!

3. Stephan0711

Stephan0711 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Looks interesting. I would love to try it out. Thx in advance! :)

4. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    I'd love to try it out! Thanks!

5. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Thanks everyone :D

The game is quite addictive and gets tough quick! Excited to share with you. I'll send available codes to those who've replied here in the thread in a few days... and I still have a handful more!

6. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    It looks like a fun (and devious) puzzler!

7. ThePawn

ThePawn Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 15, 2015
    I would like a code for Antitype please. I enjoy word games and still play your alpha omega game daily. Thank you and good luck with the release.

8. Testopi

Testopi Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2013
    I'd love to try it out! Thanks! :)

9. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Got you all down for a code when they're ready!

Awesome - and thank you!!

Oh yes it's quite devious ;)

10. Yanagi

Yanagi Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Medicine
    I'd certainly like to try it out. I'm not quite sure if I'll be able to get close to anywhere near 300 as even at present it's *still* a struggle to clear all the level packs present in Alpha Omega. I imagine this would be a good game to transition to in during breaks from AO. But that being said, congratulations on finishing the game!

11. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Thanks and I've got you down for a code :)

This game would definitely be a great game to transition into from AO. Some of those levels as you know can get quite complex! Just out of curiosity, did you get the All-Access Pass for AO?

12. Yanagi

Yanagi Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Medicine
    #12 Yanagi, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Not yet! I cleared Alpha Omega before, but that was way before it even had iCloud support (unsure if it even supports it now) because when I downloaded it again around last week it turned out none of my progress was saved so had to start again from scratch. Almost there, though, with 76 out of 96 completed. And then there still are plenty of other puzzle packs with 96 levels each! :eek:

It's been a long time (sometime in 2015) since I cleared it and things have changed. I'm not even sure if the classic pack ever had 96 levels. When I completed it before it never felt this long, so maybe extra goodies were added to this pack or they have been modified since.

13. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    About AO iCloud support - yep it sure does! Just go into the game's settings menu and enable it. For it to save though it has to be turned on in the game.

... and iCloud sync is automatically hooked up in Antitype.

I think about a year ago I needed to make the decision to reduce levels in the Classic pack down to 96 for development reasons to sync it up with the structure of the rest of the game. It originally had 360 levels when the game launched in 2015, but as the game grew significantly it made sense for multiple reasons to bring it down to 96.

14. Yanagi

Yanagi Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Medicine
    #14 Yanagi, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Sweet! It's great to know I'll be able to see my progress on all of my devices.

I couldn't believe it, but you're absolutely right. I checked my achievements in hopes that my score was at least saved and yup. I just can't seem to figure out why these 96 levels are taking me longer to clear when I completed all 360 in 4 days. Must have played it religiously for all those 4 days. Or a testament that my memory has degraded since. :p

[​IMG]

(I'm sorry for the hideous arrow!)

March 21, 2015... man, so it's been two years since. Checked my receipts and turns out I started playing this game March 17, 2015. I think this was before the game even had an undo button. I now remember keeping my phone with me at all times with this game on and then asked people random questions that could help me clear some of the final puzzles lol

I'm curious: for those who cleared all 360 levels back then and were lucky enough to have kept the game installed (or restored upon a fresh install) when the update that's responsible for separating the 360 levels within multiple packs came in, did they have to start again from the very beginning or did the game at least remembered the levels they completed? I suppose it's the latter? I think themes back then also unlocked upon completing levels, but I was a big fan of the default texture anyway.

I'm looking forward to at least completing all 96 for the Classic Pack again. Perhaps within the next two days.

15. jacekstanis

jacekstanis Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Looks interesting would love to try.
    On ios

16. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Yep, it'll be on iOS only for now... got you down for a code!

Congrats on the high ranking! Yeah the game didn't have an undo button back then lol... It went live March 12th, 2015 so you got it that first week. I'm pretty sure that when I implemented the update, those who got the game new or installed it on a new device would get the new Classic pack with 96 levels, but others who already had it would be grandfathered in to play the older Classic one with 360. That's been quite some time though and the app has gone through a bunch of updates I'll need to double-check the code to see how it handles that case. The leaderboards as you can see are still available, but unless someone has a very old version of the app I believe that it's switched them over to the 96 version, which technically is a new level pack (hence the separate leaderboard).

AWESOME :D

17. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Codes have been sent via PM... still have 5 more I can share! Just reply here in the thread to let me know if you'd like one :)

18. Yanagi

Yanagi Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Medicine
    #18 Yanagi, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Tried it for a quick ten minutes or so and first impressions are:

[Only managed to reach 15 out of 325 available levels for now]

It took me a bit trying to get used to the mechanics, and even now it's still a learning curve to me, but once that gets out of the way it's all a matter of figuring out which two opposite words are being required by the game. I imagine this won't be so simple as I progress (e.g., more turns available among letters, etc.) and by then even figuring out the words might not be my one-way ticket to sudden completion. lol. So far it's a pretty fun game that will definitely get you thinking and it's only going to use more resources as you move along the ladder. I like the mechanics, it gets me thinking and at some point, it'll most probably require me to not only think of the opposite words but as well as the intricate switching of the letters.

In contrast, it's more challenging than Alpha Omega. I do see the similarities and happy to see it this way as these games are among my favourites to spend countless hours on figuring out.

P.S. I love the game's icon, by the way! The UI is also well-crafted. I try to keep Alpha Omega outside folders to appreciate its icon as well. That being said, these two have my favourite icons among your collection of games and they both also happen to be my preference as far as puzzles go, apart from the other one being minimize.

EDIT:

Actually, you know what... maybe just five more minutes before heading to bed... I'm being sucked into this game now...

My favourite part of this game: when managing to figure out which two opposites or upon tapping at random in an attempt to figure out what exactly the words are and then it turns out to be the answer; either way, they both become an instant "a-hah!" moment. It feels oddly gratifying. An example is level 29, I had no idea what it was and then by mere luck I happen to press the correct tiles and bam! Or even when you're at a loss as to what the two words are, but you keep shuffling until one of the words begin to make sense, then making it easier to figure out the other.

Well, uhh... I hit a stumbling block, probably tiredness kicking in... and all I could make out of level 60 is this profanity (also conveniently expressing my reaction to the time)... which in turn made me look at the clock only to notice my ten minutes turned to an hour.

[​IMG]

I'm stopping at level 60 for the night! It changed from frustrating to addicting in a small time frame. Very fun puzzler.

19. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    #19 borderLeap, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    LOVE THIS. This is exactly how I hoped users would catch on to the core game mechanic. It's almost like a two-step process with that "ah-ha!" moment when you first discover what the words are, then a big "ah-ha" when you solve the level. The progression in level difficulty is designed to slowly ease you into the core game mechanic of tapping a letter, then having adjacent/opposites change. The more I play it the more I realize that I'm slowing down and planning moves out. Sure does put your knowledge of the alphabet to the test :D

About the profanity... there IS a profanity filter that I added to the game that will ensure that no bad words come up when the levels are initially created. With infinite possibilities on how to interact with letters and thus progress from that initial point, having letters arrange to form words like the screenshot you showed me are possible, but should be quite rare.

Levels though will be clean at the start and clean when solved ;)

Thanks for sharing and so glad to hear that you're enjoying it!! :D

20. Patthegymnast

Patthegymnast Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2016
    The game is very fun and tricky! But love it! Its very fun and cool! Great job!