Should I buy A-Yo Sushi Master?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by enuhski, Dec 3, 2009.

1. enuhski

enuhski Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    #1 enuhski, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    I'm sorely tempted to buy it, but right now it's $3.99. Another problem is I can barely understand the app description - it seems like a badly translated piece.

Right now there are a little over 50 ratings, average of 4.5. The written reviews seem to be written by the devs or their friends since most of them only reviewed other games by NATE or the first game they ever reviewed as a-yo. All the reviews are pretty short. One said the game won't run on his iPhone.

Still, the game looks nice, the vid seems ok and I do love sushi. I haven't found any site that reviews the game so I'm really clueless about what it does.

How reliable are the ratings sans reviews? Should I wait for a holiday sale? Should I sit this one out?

Thanks!

2. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I would say no. I don't have it, briefly heard of it, but I looked it up in iTunes. The vast majority of those reviews are shills. If you click on the reviewer's name, you can see the apps they've reviewed. The people who reviewed A-Yo "conveniently" only reviewed other Nate Games -or- they had only reviewed A-Yo [lead me to suspect fake accounts were created just to review the game]

3. enuhski

Oct 25, 2009
    thanks derek420! :) what do you think about the ratings? because there are around 72 ratings at 4-1/2...

4. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Well..I mean I went through about 2 pages of reviews and almost all of them were shills. Just because of that, I wouldn't buy it. If a dev resorts to shilling, then that instantly puts me off of the app.

5. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    I dunno, should I buy some new shoes?

6. enuhski

Oct 25, 2009
    #6 enuhski, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    yeah, plus they even added more reviews! i was just curious about the overall rating because right now it's at 4.5 stars based on 72 ratings. i wonder how they managed to do that - if the ratings are padded. hmm.. anyway, i'm still thinking about it. thanks for your helpful comments :)

hmmm...

how about -- should i say something relevant to the topic or should i try to sound witty? thanks for trying though! ;)

7. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Well its easy, they probably just made a lot of iTunes accounts, used the promo codes they got with the game to buy it on those accounts and write reviews.

8. enuhski

Oct 25, 2009
    well, i just hope they don't land on the app store's featured apps because of padded reviews and ratings. :p thanks again, derek420! :)

9. Squirt Reynolds

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    hmmm...

How about... It's $4 and therefore probably not a life-altering decision one way or the other. I'm not sure that starting a thread on the matter was necessary.

Maybe try making a decision like this on your own. I have no doubt that you'll be faced with much tougher ones in life.

10. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    .Np.

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I don't really care about the shill reviews. It doesn't in anyway affect the gameplay, just our expectations of the game before we play it. I honestly doubt they made 72 different accounts to promote their game. You guys consider the fact that maybe close friends and family wanted to help out a little and give it 5 stars?

12. enuhski

Oct 25, 2009
    #12 enuhski, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
    LOL. you think all the questions and concerns in this thread have to do with life-altering decisions? :rolleyes:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=35392

i'm not the only one who wonders about certain apps before buying them. in fact, i write about games so that people who aren't sure if it's worth their money will have some guidance. because whether it's $0.99 or $3.99 when people end up with a crappy game, it really feels like a waste of money.

you can prolong this thread and bump it by trying to justify why it shouldn't even be here or you can move on with your life. thank you! ;)

thanks!

interesting point! i do look at user reviews though if there are incompatibility/loading issues, for example, or other major problems with the game. but i do expect app store reviews to give us a fair idea of what the game is like. :)

13. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I wasn't saying all were shills, but from a quick glimpse it did seem like quite a few of them were.

14. Squirt Reynolds

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    Whether or not to buy an iPhone game is anything but a life-altering decision, and that's why I (sarcastically) mentioned it in my post. But if that's the best you got, then good for you for trying.

Of course i'm aware that this isn't the first "Is it worth it" thread. IMO, those other threads were just as pointless as this one. You have every right to ask all the meaningless questions you want, but in the end, the only person who can determine if a game is worth what YOU paid for it, is YOU.

15. enuhski

Oct 25, 2009
    LOL! this is as cliched as it can get! :D you just made my day with a line that sounds straight out of a cheesy feel good flick. haha! thanks anyway! ;)

16. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    I find that NATE games deliver some pretty decent games (though controls have been somewhat of a hassle) such as Guardian soul, Soul card master, and 2010 Mahjong. I have been over the shill phase and now look at a game for what it is and it doesn't seem that bad. From what I noticed they will probably have a sale soon if your interested still. Btw They have been featured 2 times in the appstore before.

17. Squirt Reynolds

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    Your comebacks are almost as lame as this thread.

If you don't have an actual response, it's usually best to just not post anything. You end up looking even more foolish.

But again, good for you for trying. A can-do attitude is never a bad thing to have.

18. enuhski

Oct 25, 2009
    #18 enuhski, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
    i wish someone would listen to his own advice... :rolleyes:

hi skyye06! i originally had the intention of checking out the reviews to find out if the game has compatibility issues and the like (e.g. i stayed away from chuck norris when i read posts in this thread that the option to use photos of your friends in the game doesn't work for the iPod Touch), but when i realized the reviews sounded suspiciously alike, that's when i got to digging. another reviewer and i even talked about this game a bit on twitter - we were wondering if we should buy it given the shills.

a sale sounds good! thanks for your insights :)

19. enuhski

Oct 25, 2009
    more like 20 or 21 out of 22 reviews :D but 72 ratings, hard to tell :)

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Y'know I'm not too sure he was actually trying to argue when he wrote that.