Why don't they make virtual tabletop RPGs

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Tronfan, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Tronfan

Tronfan Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    There are so many digital board games, so why doesn't anyone make a virtual dungeons and dragons type game? You could play multiplayer and chat with other people in your party, and there could be digital tools to help you out. Maybe there could even AI players as an option .

A nice bonus would be if you could actually get an ebook compiled of what happened , like the game told as a story.

2. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    There's BGEE and BG2EE. You can also try Knights of Pen and Paper.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    There was one attempt at such a game, and it failed. Forgot the title, but it was a sort of async multiplayer turn based RPG.

Can anyone remember? I remember that for each mission, each party member has to choose a class, and that each one starts at a different starting point in the beginning. I never finished a game in over 30 games played in that one. LOL.

4. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Waterdeep?

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Did a little digging through my purchased items... Pocket Heroes. Turn-based multiplayer RPG, with party chat in it.

6. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Baldur's Gate series

7. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I've thought of this as well. If done right, it could be awesome. Not Pocket Heroes. An actual D&D pen and paper type game on an iPad or iPhone. This day and age its tougher to get a party of people together for what used to be much more popular in the 90's. I personally have many memories of being around these games.

I have a few game design notes on it actually. It should not be a game like BG or PH. Those are definitely more video gamey than what a proper table top should be.

There should be a Dungeon Master which creates the adventure. This could also be selected from a set of pre-made scenarios. The game should play to the strengths of a D&D game - leaving a lot to role play and imagination - putting players in position to make decisions in specific scenarios (which is what role play is all about). There should also be some art and animation to help bring it to life for different actions taken. It would be a delicate balance between art/animations/back-drop music/imagination to set the atmosphere.

It would be a challenge executing it correctly and without being dull but I think it can be done.

8. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    all you youngsters need to look back in the ancient history of toucharcade and look up Galactic keep: dice battles from Guilded skull. Then start crying for what might have been

9. You would think that mp games on ios would be more successful, but seems it really is underutilized always. Would be cool for a true mp interactive d&d game, but mp issues will probably keep it from becoming successful.

10. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Sorta sounds like a multiplayer type of king of dragon pass and maybe road of kings would be a starting concept. With king of dragon pass maybe players can play opposing story lines (with choices of course), maybe in a kind of game of thrones kind of way. Or they could play on the same story path with choices like d&d.

12. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    What do you mean start crying for what might have been? I don't see word of galactic keep being cancelled in the thread. There's even a post in december I think from the dev with an update.