iPhone Avadon 2: The Corruption (by Spiderweb Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 26, 2014.

1. d750cz

d750cz Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Czech Republic
    I have played avadon 2 several months ago on pc. Interface and political situation is same as avadon 1. Story, maps and sidequest are brand new.

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, much like d750cz says, the changes to UI and interaction are minimal, if even visible at all, with none of the improvements you seek (unless I had some kind of temporary brain shutdown, since I don't have the app available right now :) ).

Story- and gameplay-wise, it is much more of the same. Which is not very innovative, but kinda awesome all the same. There is also one new class, and more flexibility in player choice and story interactivity.

I too am very curious about this, especially for my own future efforts in the game design space. Initial sales figures for both KOTOR and XCOM were very good (and XCOM quickly hit Top Grossing and Top Paid charts after release, at a whopping 20 dollars. Even as an exception, that was refreshing to see), which suggests an at least enthusiastic early adoption rate, but beyond that, I haven't seen any hard numbers.

I find both XCOM and KOTOR supremely playable and enjoyable on my iPhone 5S, but much as you say, I am unsure if I am the outlier or the norm. I hope for the sake of variety and developer opportunities that I belong to the latter, but I dare not assume this is the case ;)

3. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Installed size?

Does it still come with a built-in character editor?

4. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    163MB installed and no to the character editor. The Avadon storyline seems more character driven and as such this particular series does not seem to offer the "create your party" option like the Avernum series does.

5. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Agreed. Look at screenshots 3 and 5. Now imagine them on a 3.5" or 4" screen.
    I wouldn't want to play this on an iPad mini, much less an iPhone.

It deserves all 9.7"

6. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I play it on a mini just fine. Occasionally, I'll select the wrong tile during combat and inventory management can take a bit longer, but that's about it.

7. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I meant the the ability to edit your character's attributes, abilities and gold. I seem to recall it was included in Avadon...

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Again, you are thinking of Avernum. Avadon did not have that. There is the cheat code option but that is all...

9. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    #29 worldcitizen1919, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    This is a top quality rpg and I'm glad I bought it. A totally different experience but much better experience than a lot if rog's floating around.

Having said that I don't think this game will be popular with mainstream ios rpg gamers because they are mostly used to larger graphics. If one thing this game could do to win over those gamers it would be to be able to zoom in to see the characters and action much more closely.

10. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    So does Avadon 2 have cheat codes like Avadon?

11. farley2k

farley2k Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    This is on sale for $4.99 today so snatch it up if you are interested. I think I will, although I know what the odds are of me actually finishing it. :)

12. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    This is a really great turn-based RPG on very large scale. Any iPad owners of the genre should definitely check this out.

13. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    I've had this on my watch list for sometime, and I am finally downloading it at this very moment. It has held my interest long enough with curiosity that I'm positive I will be happy with it.

14. mcrawford620

mcrawford620 Member

Feb 16, 2014
    I did pick it up at the reduced price and have been playing it quite a bit since.
    How does this game stack up in terms of difficulty to other similar RPGs out there? For my tastes, it's been getting too difficult, so my enjoyment has dropped off after the first couple of quests. I'm just not really in the mood for such a challenge.
    I love most things about it -- well-written story, turn-based, levelling up your characters, and so on. Are there any similar games out there that just aren't so dang hard?

15. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Not sure how it compares to other games, but there is a difficulty setting in the game settings. Have you tried setting the difficulty to Casual? You can change the difficulty at any time, even after a game has started.

16. mcrawford620

mcrawford620 Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Yeah, I even changed it to Casual and I would still get stuck in some situations where I could defeat the "boss" with the characters I had. I could go back to Avadon and change them up, do some side quests, and probably go back in and win. But I was like, eh, I'm not up for all of this effort. I freely admit that I'm a lazy gamer. :)

17. akrose858

akrose858 Member

Jan 21, 2014
    With the news that Avernum 2 is cancelled due to new IOS bug, anyone having any issues playing Avadon 2 after updating? Im afraid to update now because i just bought Avadon 2...