Sega .99 sale: Golden Axe, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage games

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Joltrabbit, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    I don't know how to post app store links here, but a few classic Genesis games are $1 right now.

Streets of Rage 2
    Streets of Rage 3
    Gunstar Heroes
    Golden Axe 2
    Golden Axe 3
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Altered Beast

This is in addition to the Sonic games you guys already know about.

Which are the best games on this list? I love most of them (vf2 and ab haven't aged well) but which are the best conversions?

2. phrenik

phrenik Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Nurse
    City of Coffee
    Thanks for the heads up! I'm not sure how well it was ported, but I did play the golden axe series on my genesis and lived it back in the day.

You have your heroes with weapons ( hack and slash 3 rd person with a special skill localized per char, it's like a side scrolling arena style if that makes sense lol, with reg. Mobs and bosses).
    Streets of rage are the same but more " realistic" setting/ chars - eg the city vs castles/ villages, cops/ people vs dwarfs, arb etc. both were enjoyable back then, not sure if it's your taste so check out some tr vids first.

3. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Loved Gunstar Heores and Streets of Rage

4. Joltrabbit

Jul 5, 2012
    I know they are good games! I'm asking which ones did well in the conversion to iPhone. Gunstar and Streets of Rage seem to get meh reviews and I loved them back in the day.

5. Dang, are all of the iphone only? Gonna have to pass, never buy iphone only games anymore, has to be at least universal. Too bad, cause I loved the old games, would have bought all of them.

6. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I can only speak for Gunstar Heroes and Streets of Rage 2 (and Shining in the Darkness...), but I think they perform great. I'm guessing the 'meh' reviews are coming from older emulator versions. I have an iPod 3rd gen with iOS 5.0, and I don't have any performance issues with the three Genesis ports I own.

The only thing I can find is that SoR2 has some minor, and I mean minor, slow down here and there that I don't remember from the original.

Frankly, as games - and as ports - I recommend them :)

7. OsideRida06

OsideRida06 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Yeah, it's really amazing how many people are still not making their apps or games universal. You would think that would have to be a given. I bought this awesome game that my daughter loves for the iphone and it was like 2-3 dollars. She loved it and then I got her an ipad and it doesn't come with that version. The ipad version is $6-7. :[ I love supporting developers, but not when they want me to pay twice for the same thing. I would understand if the game was different, but it's exactly the same other than the graphics.

8. Joltrabbit

Jul 5, 2012
    Streets of Rage 2 is a workable port with passable controls. Gunstar is a hot mess. The virtual D-pad shows little response to twitch/quick actions and the game needs that to be more than a nostalgia piece.

I'm 50-50 on getting the first Golden Axe now.

9. meder87

meder87 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Product Development Manager
    In the world of iOS
    I bit the bullet and bought all of these for $0.99

Ecco the Dolphin
    Streets of Rage 2
    Streets of Rage 3
    Golden Axe 1
    Golden Axe 2
    Golden Axe 3
    Shining Force
    Sonic Spinball

For 8 classics I only paid $8. I haven't tried any of them yet. I have a bit of a backlog :/ and i've been distracted by a lot of other games.

10. Joltrabbit

Jul 5, 2012
    I do the same thing on sales. I click buy or download and stop it just so it registers on my purchased list. I have stuff like Tom Clancy's Shadow Vengence, Chaos Rings Omega and NOVA 2 I got on sales that I've never played.

11. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Hmmm... I'm no ace at Gunstar, but I haven't had the same experience with the controls that you mentioned. Same for SoR2.

12. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    #12 mrbiggles, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  13. Joltrabbit

Jul 5, 2012
    I'll give it a few more tries. The virtual d-pad just doesnt seem to work well for me. I've had more than a few "Argh... Come on... Just move...gah!"

14. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    It's all good. I was thinking about it - it would be nice if there was a dead zone size option in Sega's emulator (like in the Turbografx emu). Or iCade support.

Oddly, the (Sega) game that I have the most "why did he move there when I thought I pushed ____?" moments is Shining in the Darkness, a game where it doesn't matter! :p

15. dakidbanks

dakidbanks Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Ehh.. I'll wait for a better price drop on Sonic 4 episodes 1 and 2 HD versions

16. On my new ipad, this is now my favorite game on it, and I got over 700 games on it. The iphone version is not nearly as good due to framerate problems. But the new ipad version is totally rad, just wish they had real players not fake ones.

17. thezman

thezman Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Question do any over the games on sale have multiplayer of any kind?Also are these games any good?As in like what are the top 5 that are on sale.Not counting any of the Sonic games.