Does anyone know a good Multiplayer Game with high replay value?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by liquidmutiny, Nov 29, 2009.

1. liquidmutiny

liquidmutiny Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Does anyone know a good Multiplayer FPS to tide me over for a while? Any good console type shooters that I may have missed? Please don't say Call of Duty Zombies. $9.99 for one map is ridiculous.

2. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Eliminate. MC:S/Nova when they come out/with multiplayer. (If their multiplayer is good.)

3. trustbyte

trustbyte Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    lots of multiplayer games i heard have lots of problems with cheaters..

eliminate has this problem?

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #4 squarezero, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
    CoD: Zombies (sorry). Even with one map, it's the best multiplayer experience
    on the platform

Eliminate (even without spending $ on credits)

iFPS (haven't played it, but it's supposed to be OK)

There's an excellent online game guide in the user review section.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Supposedly, yes, though I haven't played enough to see it. The game uses the Quake 3 engine, which has known exploits. The developers are supposed to be closing the loopholes on the next version.

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    It doesn't matter if its only 1 map..its online co-op, and its sick.
    [CoD]

7. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I still enjoy iMech every now and then... :)

8. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    #8 Somerandomdude, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
    Someone actually recommended iFPS?!? HAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!! That game was awful and just extremely buggy. Plus NO ONE plays and it's just not fun compared to today's games. Eliminate blows this game out of the water. I tried it and I just lagged IMMENSELY and then it crashed on me. Plus the controls were almost unusable.

Now, I have to be the next obligatory person to suggest Eliminate (it's free, why not) and Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies. Even though I can't get online with my current connection, I still find that Zombies has a ton of replay, even on one map. I got to play online once, and despite the amounts of lag (I'm on a 1g, so it's to be expected), I still found it to be a ton of fun. It's just as much fun as playing the PC or Console version with someone, which is just way too much fun. It's worth the price of World at War alone. Just waiting on that Verruckt map now...

Also, for a game this good, $9.99 is actually a pretty reasonable price. Trust me, if you get it, you won't be mad with yourself if you like shooters or survival games in the least. I felt it to be a bit much, but when I learned it was an exact recreation of the full Nacht der Untoten map, I couldn't pass it up. Glad I didn't. Verruckt is on the way and it will hopefully be a low price, or they will lower the price by then. The online co-op is one of the best experiences I've had playing a game on my iPod too, just go buy it the next time you get a gift card.

9. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    COD is so worth 9.99
    It is obvious you havent played the console version. One map lasts you like 30 hours.

10. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Just get COD: Zombies.
    Best multiplayer game on iPhone for sure, even with just one map it still has tons of replay value (and they are also going to add more maps as DLC).
    Eliminate on the other hand IS a rip-off.

11. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    only if you're stupid enough to buy powercells

12. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    I will have to go with eliminate. There were some online cheaters, but the exploits there have been fixed. You can still hack the game to cheat offline against bots but who cares, that won't effect others gameplays. Eliminate still doesn't have too many maps (5) but it's free and at least 1 more map on the next update which is currently in apples approval process. You don't need money to play, but you need energy to gain credits/experience. Energy recharge speed isn't too bad, but you can pay for extra energy when you need some more valuable playing.

I think if/when modern combat sandstorm gets multiplayer it will be better, and nova possibly too. But neither are available so no way for anyone to knows for sure,
    z

13. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    It really depends on how you play the game. If you spend money on power cells every time you need a recharge, then that's your option to do that and not the game being a rip-off. It delivers a ton of content and replayability for free, then gives you the option to expand on that if you want, or just wait it out, and play some exhibition matches while your ability to level up and earn credits returns. I don't see that as a rip-off, I see that as good business.

14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Manchester, England
    I'm looking forward to N.O.V.A. I just hope it doesn't become as boring and abused as Eliminate...

15. TheProxy

TheProxy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    I would hold out until CoD lowers the price of it's game, which most likely will happen. Probably the main reason it is ten dollars is because there are many people who would buy it for that price, and as you can see, it is the top grossing app as of now. When sales start to decline, they will lower the price to an extent as to which sales would again reach their standards. They may lower it one or two dollars at first, but if it still doesn't reach somewhere close to the top,the price could be lowered as much as 50 or 90 percent. It happened with MGS touch, it will happen with CoD. Of course, little kids will whine about refunds, but w/e.

16. sk8erdude50

sk8erdude50 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    CoD is my fav one even though there is only one map, but i will probly buy the dlc maps if they are cheap. You might as well try eliminate since its free (don't bother buying credits)

17. Andgut

Andgut Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    canada
    Cod

I know cod sound like a huge ripoff with only one map but its amazing and worth the money with easily the best online play. Eliminate is also good for being a free game

18. liquidmutiny

liquidmutiny Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It looks like everyone's leaning toward COD Zombies. I think you guys are trying to justify paying $9.99 for one map. I wonder how much they would charge for COD: World at War or COD: Modern Combat(both titles not confirmed). I found myself trying to justify spending $9.99 for Hero of Sparta after they dropped it to .99 cents. I have to admit Gamelofts shifty pricing scheme has made me reluctant to buy games at full price($9.99). EA seems to be more firm with their pricing, just recently lowering prices for their Tetris remake and Madden 10 to $2.99 and $6.99 respectively.

I guess I'm looking for a Counter-Strike, Gears of War, or Quake 3 experience on my iPhone. Those games you can drop in "frag", have fun and leave. Those games required skill but they were balanced.(except for Gears host shotgun advantage). Eliminate was almost there but it doesn't have that balance. Credits, potentially real money being lost to poor matchmaking and lost connections made the experience even worse. I'm not bitting the hand that feeds because I paid the most I've ever paid for an iphone game $10.99 total. $9.99 out of appreciation for a polished online gaming experience and 99 cents when I needed 5 more credits to level up. I've had more fun and spent more time on Eliminate than any other game on the iPhone.

It looks like COD Zombies will have to tide me over until the next great Multiplayer game hits the app store. I do think the iPhone/iPod touch is the perfect mobile gaming platform and it doesn't need any stinking buttons! An immersive gaming experience can be achieved with multitouch and/or the accelerometer. I can't wait for developers to tap into that potential.

19. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
  20. xdanleex

xdanleex Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Procrastinating
    LA,CA
    dinosmash online