GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Wow! The Living Room level is heavy! And ironically named as well!

2. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    the only problem about hitting the top of the charts is now you get all the 10 year olds (no offense) who buy this game expecting it to be like a shooter game and then complaining it has no story or whatever.

Atleast it hit the top 3 though and will probably hit #1!

3. Dogvolta

Dogvolta New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    I am 25 and I've been an avid gamer since about the age of 5. Video games have been one of the constants in my life. I had to register here just to say how incredible this game is. I kept trying to think of great ways I could describe and praise this game, but one word just keeps coming to mind.
    QUALITY. The sheer quality in *every* aspect of this game is absolutely amazing and I can only hope that this game, and Tiger Style, receives the huge praise and recognition that they very much deserve.
    I don't even know where to begin with my personal admiration of this game! I just finished my second play through on Precision and the seemingly infinite layers of story absolutely thrills me.
    WELL DONE TIGER!

4. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Totally agree!

I'm definitely going to keep playing this little gem. I gotta have all those achievements:

[​IMG]

5. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    So in the achievements screen, there's one that says "find the secret level". I'm sure that that has something to do with this part of the game:

[​IMG]

But I don't know what to do. I tried making webs in the directions that are in the tombstone but didn't work.

Anyone knows what to do there?

6. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    I still haven't found the secret room, so please no spoilers in this thread. There is a strategy thread with spoilers in the "general game discussion" forum.

7. nervoussystem

nervoussystem New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com
    Boston, MA
    Well you've gotten your wish. I've beaten your score to take the number one spot. :)

Thanks for making such an awesome game!

8. mr ed209

mr ed209 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I only just realised that Randy that does a column in the back of Edge, and has done for aaages, is one of the developers of this game. Had to buy it on principle at that point.

9. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Just bought this game last night after looking through this thread.

Well done :). One of the better games on the iPod (although I hate spiders haha)

10. This game looks very cool. I like the art style a lot. Controls seem pretty good too once you get the hang of it.

11. Maverick009

Maverick009 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Lol! Same here..but this spider doesn't look creepy!

12. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    The spider looks cute, specially when you finish the game ;)

13. kickR

kickR Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Is this game really as good as people say it is or does it just has this super big buzz about it that will make you rate 5 starts even before they try it?

14. jmmsmth

jmmsmth Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    its really fun...

15. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I give a lot of credit for something being unique in the app store, which is often filled with copies of other games or ideas, and this game is completely unique. There's nothing like it out there. I also like that it's tailored for the touch screen. Lots of fun.

16. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    #436 Grubjelly, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
    I would not recommend it to anyone looking for a pure adventure game, since the little spider does not do much except spin webs and eat bugs.

As a puzzler, Spider is a masterpiece, especially if you play precision mode. It's mostly about silk management, timing, spatial perception, and weighing risks versus benefits. The key to seeing Spider as a sublime network of puzzles is to commit to getting the highest score possible. Only then will it become apparent what the "point" of the game is, besides being a little web-spinning romp through an art gallery.

The core strategic considerations are the differing base point values of the insects, the score multiplier, which increases up to 4X and stays there as long as one stays on one web or leaps to another, the usage of hornets to replenish silk, and the shepherding of mosquitos and butterflies towards the most interconnected parts of the web network. A couple of other bugs with idiosyncratic behaviors also present as unique variables that must be dealt with. There are many choices to make along the way in order to make the most of every scoring possibility, even when the path towards getting some decent combos and finishing a given level is obvious.

In many instances in which catching a few bugs is a no-brainer, there are often higher scoring alternative plans and various choices to make. Some choices are very subtle, such as, for example, whether to eat several caught bugs all at once, or eat just one or two bugs among the several already caught on web in order to replenish a few silk threads and complete part of a nearby network that already has snagged several bugs. If everything goes according to plan (i.e. no accidental jumps or slips are made) then the resulting combo with be substantially higher than if one simply eats the bugs already caught in the first web before continuing to complete the second web and eat the captives there. Often one will want to only begin a couple sides of a planned web but not complete it until the time is right. There are also a few switches that come into play.

In summary, Spider is a perfectionist's game. iIt's all about the score, at least insofar as the depth of gameplay is concerned, though for me the museum-house tour and soundtrack were also well-worth the price of admission. It's very easy to tear through the whole game in a fairly short amount of time if scoring opportunities are squandered. Those who are unwilling to help structure the entertainment will most likely find the game to be insufficiently challenging. I recommend that such gamers just play precision mode if they want the game to last longer and not see every room (except the secret room) in the first couple sittings.

17. fetuscannon

fetuscannon Member

Aug 27, 2009
    California
    I think this may be one of my first purchased apps. :D

18. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    the game was more about the mystery/story for me than the gameplay, although the gameplay is quite enjoyable

19. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

Hey folks,

Our website has finally been redone, and though it's not quite final, you should come check it out:

www.tigerstylegames.com

We also have forums set up, so if you feel like dropping by, it would be awful nice of you :)

dave

20. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Cool design for the site. When are you guys going to release the soundtrack? I can't wait to download it.

Also, David, I would appreciate a lot if you send me a pm explaining the story of the game to me. I really want to know what happened. :D