Is this the place for showing early work?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by BlindAlbino, Nov 15, 2013.

1. BlindAlbino

BlindAlbino Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I am Co-Founder and Art Director for Blind Albino,
    La Habra Hights, California
    Hi everyone, just a couple quick questions about this forum, its categories, and wording conventions. We're catching a tiny bit of flack over our recent post about our game When Pigs Fly, which is in a very early stage of development. We want to avoid disappointing people, obviously, but the terminology we've used seems to have failed to live up to some users' expectations.

What terms/wordage would you all recommend for sharing early works in progress, and how important are these kinds semantics within this forum?
    And lastly, is this a good place for us to post such material, or are we showing up at the wrong party?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I think it is a fine place, and development blog or something similar is good.

Clearly you aren't far enough into development to show the game yet.

Just be honest and don't talk up stuff you don't have and let your product speak for itself.

3. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    Why don't you try slidedb.com (for mobile games) or indiedb.com (PC/Mac/mobile) to show your game?

4. BlindAlbino

Dec 19, 2012
    Thank you Destined, for your considerate replies to our posts. Does anyone else here feel we are being dishonest? That certainly was not our intent. We simply wanted to share our excitement and our process with a supportive community, and to those we have unintentionally misled, we sincerely apologize.

5. BlindAlbino

Dec 19, 2012
    Thank you copaeci, we'll definitely check out those sites!

6. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    #6 Destined, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    I know there was no intent. But I watched clearly expecting gameplay (and I wasn't the only one). When I clicked I was expecting a 15 second glimpse of gameplay not a 13 minute development video. I think you can see from your description that people would probably not expect a 13 minute development video?

I get you are excited and that is great. I don't in any way want to discourage the posting of work. It is just unfortunate wording.

It is cool showing development but it isn't a product yet, when it is then you can start showing it.

Don't worry so much, when your game eventually gets to being released nobody will remember any of your first development videos.

7. takemuraori

takemuraori Well-Known Member

I think being able to see the progress is interesting, I posted here a bit about our upcoming puzzle game, didn't really get any response (http://goo.gl/DLhiX5) but i see some people are reading the post so may be even though people don't comment they are happy to read a bit about the game, I myself is like that, very often i would not write comments but i do read and happy to see how the things are done, and how concept changes while it get more and more mature.

so please post.

8. BlindAlbino

Dec 19, 2012
    Thanks for your encouragement takemuraori, we really appreciate it. People will have their own expectations, and we won't try to fight them. To us, a tease is a peak without the giveaway, so we will continue to post our teaser videos, in our own way, until the day comes when we can demo the full game. Some people will undoubtedly forget our videos, or complain about their length, wording, etc, and some will not recognize that the heart of a game does not necessarily reside just in the interactive code, but those details are all beside the point. If just one person took any inspiration from us posting, then our mission was accomplished. Thanks again my friend!

9. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012

OK calm down, take a deep breath. You had two comments asking for a bit of gameplay footage because people were generally interested in what your doing.

If your classing this as taking flack and failing people you need to pop a chill pill. And yes feel free to post any dev videos here as we love seeing those to even if you have not yet got any game footage.

I was generally interested in your work and would love to see more when your ready. :)

ps.

DO NOT FAIL ME AGAIN

10. Bleau

Bleau Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2013
    One half of MoWOW Studios, an mobile indie game st
    Koblenz, Germany
    You are obviously not going to please everyone and you don't need to try and do that. Just define who exactly are the people that will enjoy your game and cater to them :)

11. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    I think that most people start to show videos when the game is actually pretty far along in its development. In that you actually have some action in the game to show, not just concept stuff. Personally I think it would be very hard to get any traction behind a game just showing concept stuff. People don't want to have to try and guess what your game will be like, could be amazing, or it could suck there is no way to tell from just a concept.

If you think of the kickstarter videos, people generally have made a basic prototype of the game before they start on kickstarter. And seeing as game development is generally first month is fun creating new things (after which you can have something that looks pretty good), next 4 months is hard slog getting everything to work, building characters and levels etc, it means the kickstarter model can work quite well.

Then there are a few blog journey type ones, where its a diary of building the game, this is a bit different. You probably should have called your video something along these lines, rather than a teaser title. That does give the impression that you actually have some in game stuff to show.

12. BlindAlbino

Dec 19, 2012
    Good stuff people, we thank you for all the great intel and advice. Also for your patience with us as we adjust to these common terms and protocol.

13. ToyRookGames

ToyRookGames Active Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Thanks for the advice in this thread. It's good stuff for all of us game devs.