Dead Squared by End Boss Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by crex, Mar 27, 2013.

1. metroidvictim

metroidvictim Well-Known Member

sweet! maybe you guys could do a contest at the very end to design a creature as a future update dlc and do them monthly or so

2. tofusoup

tofusoup Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    #22 tofusoup, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
    Yea that's a good idea.

Last week we got crafting somewhat functional. I spent today breaking apart our weapons to make components. Here is a preview:

[​IMG]

There are 18 weapons, and 43 components so far. some of the breakdown don't make any sense but maybe people won't notice heh.

Let's hope we get all these guns into the game, if not they will get in as an update.

3. tofusoup

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    #23 tofusoup, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  4. anteye5

anteye5 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    This all looks promising

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Dead Squared looks like it's coming along very well.

I voted yes on Steam Greenlight, good luck. As an aside if it's compatible with your philosophy as a developer and practical DRM free access on GOG is a nice alternative to Steam in my opinion.

6. tofusoup

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    @anteye5 - thanks
    @undeadcow - thanks for the vote. The game will be DRM free on pc, mac, and linux. I'll probably put it up on all available sites like Desura, GOG...etc. Steam would be huge though.

I'll have some really exciting stuff next time I update.

7. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Looks awesome this update made me want the game more than I already did. So there are going to be big maps in the game? Would multiplayer be an iAP for this game? If the is going to be F2P. People would buy the multiplayer add on for probably $1.99 or even $2.99.

This game looks better every time I see it.
    The only thing I think you should do is make those big robots harder to kill. Right now they seem to easy. Also split up the enemies so it don't look weird having flying eyes, zombie dogs, and zombies all running together. Could also have the eyes shoot gust of wind at you with there wings? Or shoot something from there eyes.

The environment looks really nice. Also the guns that you showed in the video looked really nice as well. Keep up the great work.

You say we could like test the game on a MAC or something? I would like to do that to give you more feedback.

Thanks.

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You can download Dead Squared beta for Mac/PC/Linux here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/dead-squared

9. tofusoup

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    Thanks. Yea there will be more variety of rooms. I'm sure we will at least have 50+ rooms when we ship (More as we update). Right now there's only 8. We are looking into MP, and if we do, it will just be part of the game, not an IAP. The game for iOS will probably be priced at $2.99 (Compared to $6-10 on PC).

Just to get it out now, the game will have IAP for mobile. However the tuning will be identical to PC. I just know, no matter how we tune this game, people will want it to be easier. I want to accommodate all types of players. The goal is to tune it so most average player will not need to spend more then the initial $2.99. However if you can't wait and want to get ahead you can spend the money. This is debatable, and can change as we get closer to the ship date. We will get some testers from this forum later on to help us balance the game out, so don't hate me yet :).

For MP, you won't be able to bring in anything that is purchased. MP will all be on even field. We are looking doing a "horde" mode from gears of war. Possibly some PVP, but not sure yet.

As for the enemies, once we have the encounter system up, you will find a variety of enemy configurations. It will all depend on current play session.

Yea undeadcow linked to the alpha build. Check it out and give feedback, cause you never know you might find an undeadcow later in the game right?

10. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Lol right right. Ill have to test in a day or so. Never played gears of war. I dont know what horde mode is. Please explain.

11. tofusoup

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    You and a friend can defend against endless waves of enemies. If we can pull it off you would basically kill the enemies for loot/resources to build defenses and craft weapons to survive.

If we do pvp, it would be probably be some type of vs mode where you kill other player for loot, and try to find loot to craft better weapons.

12. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Sounds interesting :). How much guns you think will be in this game?

13. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Played the alpha build a bit on my inferior laptop. It was a blast seeing an assortment of wild creatures (flying eyeballs, zombie dogs, etc) jump out at me from cages when I entered a room. So far so good, then my laptop gave me problems.

14. tofusoup

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    I think there are 16 guns total. We are also going to be adding melee weapons.

@undeadcow - :) We didn't do too much testing yet on systems. I thought my PC specs were pretty low at dual core, and an old nvidia card.

15. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Here's a narrated/editorial video someone posted yesterday, I'm not sure if it represents the most recent developer progress but it sure looks promising.

16. tofusoup

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    It's the same public alpha build. For last two months we have been trying to get coop working. This meant reworking a lot of the code base. Possibly another update in the near future. We are still shooting for end of year.

17. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #37 undeadcow, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    Last night I had a nightmare about Dead Squared... why isn't it out yet?

[This face haunts my dreams --> [​IMG]]

18. tofusoup

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    Thanks for bringing this thread back from the dead!!!

Believe it or not we are still working on coop mode. Unfortunately I don't think we will make Dec release. But we do have most of the networking stuff working. Now it's just to hook everything back up again and pump out the content.

I'll post updates asap :)

thanks for the support undeadcow!