Universal Penny Arcade's On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 (byTinkerHouse)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Oct 24, 2012.

1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Oh ok and what about cardboard samurai?

2. ZombiFlyBoy

ZombiFlyBoy Member

Oct 13, 2012
    What happened to #1-2 ?

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    From the dev earlier in this thread:

4. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The Tube Samurai has no summons, as far as I know, but I wouldn't mind being wrong ;)

5. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Finally got to hark house pretty fun:)

6. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[thread=119439][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=162515][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162862][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162636][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162688][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162635][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=162717][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162632][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162500][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162852][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162644][​IMG][/thread]

Click on above icons
    to discover more about the games!

[size=+3]PENNY ARCADE'S ON THE RAIN -
    SLICK PRECIPICE OF DARKNESS 3
    [/size]
    is a nominee for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    24/10/2012
    [/size]

Do you like to explore the town of New Arcadia in all 16-bit glory?

[size=+3][thread=162877]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]
    - Devs cannot vote for their own games -

Poll close
    11-01-2012 at 10:08 AM

7. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    This game isn't getting enough good exposure. I think it's awesome. Full disclosure - I also thought Cthulhu Saves The World was awesome.

In neither game did I have a problem with the controls. Yeah, they are less than perfect. But by no means are they game-breaking. In each case it took me less than a minute to adapt. If the devs improve the controls, great. But the game is only $3, I don't have much to complain about. I totally understand when people get annoyed at lackluster controls, but this isn't a twitch platformer. Basically, if you enjoy retro rpgs, I don't think the controls will really prevent you from enjoying this game.

As has been mentioned, the writing and the combat systems are where this game really shines. I have also found myself laughing out loud. The complexity increases at a manageable rate, and the difficulty ramps up enough to keep me engaged. In fact, I hit a wall in chapter 8 (golem defender). That dude was tough. I had to rearrange my classes in order to find a strategy that worked.

And it's certainly not grindy. In fact, it's almost impossible to grind (I'd say more, but I want to avoid spoilers).

Anyway, figured the game could use more cheerleading.
    Unless you truly hated CSTW, I'd say go for it.

8. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Yea if anyone played the first two they should know its not grindy its fixed so no random fights or replayable fights. I do miss the narrator though.

9. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I voted for this game. In fact I enjoy it more than Cthulhu Saves the World, which I already liked (played PC version). The game 's not perfect, but it's nice to play an iOS game that isn't an endless runner or puzzle platformer.

10. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Both are great in my opinion hope they get more games on iOS.

11. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    Beat the main campaign. So awesome!
    Trying to complete the side quests, but man are they tough!
    Anyone going through the Coliseum or Shrine?

12. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    I will once I get good enough.

13. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Random Battles

I love this game and its story, but I really miss the random battles that CSTW had and the way they were implemented! Was there a big reason that they changed the battles from a number of random battles to a limited number of known enemies?

I love just leveling up and waiting to progress the story by just grinding. With CSTW I would just grind until the battles were done and then I would just enter battles through the menu. I thought that was a great feature.

Any chance you'll add that to this game so I can enter a battle anytime I want?

Thanks for the great games!

14. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    It was how the first two games where they staying true to the games.

15. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I guess that makes sense then! I might have to check out the originals. Hopefully they won't set me back much more than this one did. Are there any graphic novels of these characters? I bet that would be awesome with this quality of writing.

16. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    There's a app just look up penny arcade on the App Store. The first two I believe run 15 dollars each I might be wrong but there perfect its worth it.

17. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Any word on an update? I was looking forward to that level 40 shrine portal deal.

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #78 Vovin, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
    What the heck? I bought this game on release day but uninstalled it two or three weeks ago. Was it pulled meawhile or re-released? I only have the option to buy it again...

And have they corrected or compressed the filesize? Last install, it was nearly 1 GB big.

19. thesmashingone

thesmashingone Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Huh... how interesting. Seems to ask me as well to repurchase the game. This happened to me also with Max Payne Mobile. Got that problem sorted out via iTunes billing help.

Also, I think it is still a GB for the app size.

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Thanks for answering! Found out meanwhile; there is a problem with the purchase history / billing server. So it's just asking but you won't buy it again, afaics.