Looking for platformers or puzzlers inspired by MC Escher

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bronxsta, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Looking for platforming games or puzzlers that play around with perspective. Think Fez, Percepto (have this game already), or Echochrome on Ps3. It needs to be playable on iPhone 4 or be universal
    ---
    Here are a few of Escher's work to see what I mean:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    OT slightly, but if you have the original UT installed there's a couple of great user created Escher maps that work really well.

3. Bronxsta

What's UT?
    And anyone have any other recommendations?

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Shift is almost the same sort of thing, but 2D. I'm sure there are a couple of 3D ones in the back of my mind somewhere, but they're not making themselves known right now...

5. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    It's PC, Unreal Tournament (the original) and why I said slightly off topic. Really excellently done though, old engine had portals you could see destination through and these were used seamlessly to create Escher type levels, one minute you're on the floor, next you're walking on the other side of the room on the roof.

6. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Well on PC you've got to get The Bridge, which is directly inspired by Escher's art and consequently involves puzzles playing with perspective. Really cool art style, soundtrack, and overall atmosphere.

On iOS however, I don't know of many yet. Closest thing with that kind of an abstract artsy feel to it is Kairo. Luckily, Fez is coming to iOS soon though so might just want to wait for more details on that.

7. Bronxsta

Is Kairo playable on the iPhone 4? I've read some conflicting info on that. Also how long is the game and any replay value? Is it just puzzle rooms or is there open exploration?

8. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    I can't speak from experience since I played it on an A5 device, but it's running on the Unity engine, which isn't that taxing, thus any lag is probably coming from what's being rendered rather than what device it's running on. That being said, the framerate on A5 devices isn't great, there's a fair share of jitters and jumps, so don't expect a perfect framerate on your 4th gen device. This really doesn't affect gameplay that much though, it's a slow paced game anyways.

The game is quite long, it'll definitely keep you busy for quite some time, then again it depends on how long it takes you to solve the puzzles. I don't see much replay value in it though. It's a puzzle game after all, so once you solve the puzzles they'll be the same the second time through. However, there are 18 secret glyphs hidden throughout that unlock an alternate ending.

The whole game is open to exploration. It doesn't force you to go anywhere, but directs you where you need to go with subtle environmental queues. It linearly guides you to hub rooms of sorts, in which you can choose to complete the puzzles for that area in the order you please, but towards the end of the game you reach an area that lets you teleport to the areas you've previously gone to, helpful if you want to unlock the aforementioned alternate ending.

Regardless, this is a game you'll want to play. It creates a chilling and artistic atmosphere, and will occasionally blow your mind. It's really amazing how complex some of the puzzles can be, even though all you do is walk around. The only way you interact with your environment is either by pushing things, standing on things, or simply moving. But it does things with that that you didn't see coming. Think Antichamber, in the sense that you can't always think by the logic most games abide by. So yeah. Get it. It's good for ya.