The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Xenogears is my all time favorite RPG. I sure would love to see an iOS port of it.

2. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    The game has to be on iOS for me to cover it in the RPG Reload. Luckily, The Bard's Tale 3 is included in The Bard's Tale app, so that's just a matter of time. Ultima 4 *was* briefly available on iOS. While we don't usually cover pulled games, you might want to check somewhere around Christmas time. You might like what you find.

3. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    So, it's been suggested a few times, and I'm happy to say that it's going to happen: The RPG Reload is going to be a real, honest-to-goodness book! While the ETA and some of the details are yet to be determined, it will be available in both paper and electronic form, and it will collect the first year's worth of RPG Reload articles. If it goes well, we'll probably keep doing these at the end of each year. Wow, all the reading of a website, but heavier and odor-absorbent! What's not to like?

4. Estrica

Estrica Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2012
    That's super great news!

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Congrats! I can't wait to get it. ;)

6. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    eBook or GTFO, please :cool:

7. DarkAdamm

DarkAdamm Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Is Coldfire Keep on your list to cover someday?

8. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    It's actually on the schedule, but you'll have to be patient because it's still months away.

JindoFox: there will be an ebook version, of course. :)

9. DarkAdamm

DarkAdamm Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Awesome. I will be watching for it. Thank you again for the great articles they have helped me make some solid game choices.

10. LordEctorius

LordEctorius New Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Shaun you are amazing! I am just getting into this forum and I remember getting involved in RPGs. Book sounds great. Thank you for what you do. And hello everyone.

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
  12. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I might just straight up do a review of it. I don't think TouchArcade ever did, or did I miss it? Anyway, I'll be giving it some attention in either case. Thanks, zombeef!

13. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    #433 falcon815, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Loved the review of Spectral Souls, Shaun. I considered picking it up a while back, but eventually decided against it after I thought about my experience playing Blazing Souls on PSP. I love strategy RPGs - FF Tactics is my favorite game - so I really wanted to like Blazing Souls. It started out promisingly, but a couple things really turned me off:

- Interface issues with item crafting and purchasing: there were many spots where I felt like I was back in Final Fantasy 1, being able to only do things 1 at a time that I should have been able to do 10, 20, or 99 times with one button press instead of having to mash X repeatedly for minutes at a time. Blazing Souls was the final straw for my poor PSP's X button - I had to buy a new set of triangle/X/O/square button contacts and replace the ones that I wore out in that horrible menu system.

- Utterly obtuse plot progression, combined with a version of Wild ARMs 2 and beyond's horrible map-searching system that somehow managed to get even worse by making map searches tied to one of your seemingly infinite types of "points". Want to search the map after failing a couple times? Too bad, go fight some more battles...

- Speaking of which, how many different types of "points" were there - 6? You had to grind to do everything.

Anyway. That game kind of turned me off from playing Idea Factory for a few years. I did give them another chance with Sorcery Saga on the Vita, but that one didn't impress me either - I had a much better time with similar games Izuna 1 & 2 on the DS.

14. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Can't Wait For Part 2

I really enjoyed the History of Handheld RPGs Part 1-- it even got me to dust off my old Lone Wolf paperbacks and relive some memories.

That said, I didn't miss Part 2, did I? Must have...!

15. DeNappa

DeNappa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Netherlands
    Well, Shaun did state in the article that he aimed for a monthly 'History' article in the RPG reload column. Since that part was early september, part 2 must be scheduled for this friday (or maybe next week, too lazy to check the date :p).

16. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yes, Part 2 - The Game Boy Era, Pre-Pokemon will be up this week. It's a monthly series, so each part will go up the first week of the new month. 12 parts in total, will be collected into a book when all is said and done so that you can use it to squash bugs.

17. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Or to wave at my 7 yro son to tell him how things used to (and by golly still ought to) be!

18. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    In regards to the RPG reload of this week, there is a Kickstarter for 7th Continent which is the board game version of the Fighting Fantasy playbooks. Looks very good and getting lots of good reviews.

just thought I mention it. yes it is a tad expensive but you are getting a lot of extras too.

19. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Cool! Thanks for mentioning it.

20. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    No problem!