In search of head developer for MMO

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Sully, May 14, 2009.

1. Sully

Sully Member

May 14, 2009
    #1 Sully, May 14, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
    I am looking for a lead developer for an MMO I am creating. The details on this are going to be limited for now until I find out who I am going with but when I say MMO, I mean a true MMORPG, not like the iMob style games. If you have experience creating applications for the iPhone I'd love to get in touch with you to see what we can work out. Please e-mail me at [email protected] or [email protected]

2. kenlem

kenlem Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Is this a paid full time position?

3. Sully

Sully Member

May 14, 2009
    no, the compensation is completley profit based.

4. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #4 Booch138, May 14, 2009
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
    Not to sound like a d*ck or totally trash on your advertisement, but that was a pretty harsh statement. I don't play those games, but they are still considered "MMO" games (Text-Based MMO I guess is the term). MMO Stands for Massive Multiplayer Online, so to say you are making a "MMO" is a very broad and unclear statement. Im just saying... ^.^

5. Sully

Sully Member

May 14, 2009
    Yea you're right. That was a harsh statement. What I meant to say is that I intend on making a true mmorpg. Something more like your modern PC mmorpg games. My apologies if I offended anybody.

6. twick

twick Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    You may want to specify what you want the lead Dev to do and what kind of game it is. (ie 3dOpenGL, Sprite Driven, etc.) I'm no professional developer but many developers excel in specific areas of game development.

Do you already have a team? What positions in your team are filled already? Graphic designer, 3d artist, programmer, etc..

I wouldn't expect the developer to be able to do the logic, programming and 3d models all by himself. Although I'm sure there are super game designers out there like that, I wouldn't expect it.

7. Sully

Sully Member

May 14, 2009
    #7 Sully, May 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
    Sprite driven to maximize graphics =) I want the game to look nice, but run even better, so I think thats the best way to go about it.

Also, I have a graphic designer, and I am in touch with a 3d artist if needed. I am looking for a programmer at this moment in time.

This is a huge project that I expect to take a lot of time to get up and running. But my plan is to really make a revolutionary game for the iDevice

EDIT:
    I have a 3D artist on board aswell as a graphic designer/2d artist and we have started some concept art/modeling already. Right now the biggest thing we could use is a good programmer that is familiar with coding (obviously) and iDevice SDK.

8. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    So you want a programmer to split the money 4 ways? Between the 2 artists and you (what do you do? Can you program or are you an artist?) and himself? I just want to understand you offer a little better...

9. Sully

Sully Member

May 14, 2009
    I' one of the artists, and I am also programming.

10. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Ok, that's cool! I actually am a new programmer myself. I am a "young" person who enjoys sports and school (and excels at them both ;)), but wanted to do something different. So here I am!

Good luck with your game, but I can't be a part of it because I don't have experience with big online multiplayer.

11. Sully

Sully Member

May 14, 2009
    Thank you sir =D If you get bored, let me know, help is always welcome. We are just starting to program, so if you have some experience we could use the help, even if its not part of setting up the online portion of the game

12. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Sorry, I am quite busy. Just finishing up and project right now and I am about to start a really big one, so I am busy. If you are really new, you can check out these tutorials, they will help you get started.

13. Sully

Sully Member

May 14, 2009
    thanks for the link, I'll have to take a look.

14. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Ok, best of luck!

15. JavierDavalos

JavierDavalos Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Man you need a large team to make a real MMO.

Programming is a small fraction of all the work required. The content is what takes most of the time.

16. Sully

Sully Member

May 14, 2009
    I am well aware of that my friend =D. I have a good group of content developers for this project, I just need an experienced coder behind the scenes to help out. The biggest thing I have a hard time with is getting the client-server relationship squared away.

17. conrem

conrem Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    developer + student at medicine
    Moldova
    do u need any help?
    i have some good experience)

18. Sully

Sully Member

May 14, 2009
    i do sir.

ill send you a PM so we can talk.

19. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Sounds great, but I can't help out myself... Wish I could... I really want a mmorpg (NOT TEXT BASED).. Don't give up though! Many people will give for a real MMORPG, Dinosmash already came up and went fast. Pretty sweet for a online multiplayer game

20. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Isn't asking the lead developer for an MMORPG to take profit based compensation asking a bit much? Especially if it's for a company they don't hold a majority stake in? At any rate, best of luck to you guys, I'd love to see some quality MMO titles grace the iPhone.