question about apps and games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wttwoa, Dec 9, 2009.

1. wttwoa

wttwoa Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    i was looking on CODWAWZ faq and see this:

Q: If the game is deleted, can it be downloaded again?
    A: Unfortunately, no, items purchased through iTunes cannot be repurchased if lost. But if you’ve deleted the game from your device, re-sync the application through your computer. Be sure to always store a back-up of your application on your computer and/or an external hard-drive.

does that mean if i buy the game, and somethin happens to my computer and it gets wipped or soemthin and deletes it, does that mean ill have to repurchase all my games/apps? or it just means ill lose my saved data like achivements and i can just re download the games from itunes without charge?

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Any games you have bought you can re-download for free on the same iTunes account that you originally bought them on. No worries there, but saved data is gone if you lose that backup.

The way that Q&A is written is wrong.

3. wttwoa

wttwoa Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    thanks for clearing it up, could i use a flash drive for a backup? if so how?

4. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Find the Mobile applications folder (where your apps are located) and back that folder up.

5. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    That I don't know unfortunately, never tried it before.

Edit: But darkhorse does ;) , think I'll do that myself actually.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Game files are in the Mobile Applications directory

iPod/iPhone backups (which contain your savegame data) are in \Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Both can be backed up just fine.

If you rename the folder in Backup (say with the date) they will show up as different backups in iTunes

If you're restoring your device, and want to keep your game's data

1) Re-Download all your apps to iTunes
    2) Restore your backup to your device
    3) Sync - this will reinstall the missing apps.

It's wierd, but it'll work - app data gets put on the device first!

If you download the app on the device itself before syncing, you will lose your app data (as it will get reset when you download it) you must restore from backup then sync! (two distinct steps which may take a while, then again I've got 500+ apps on! :eek:)

7. wttwoa

wttwoa Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    im just wanting to make sure that if i get alot of games and get far into them, and then my computer messes up, i can have all my data on a flash drive or external hdd and not have to start all over again