Pocket RPG alternatives

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by aikavari, Feb 1, 2014.

1. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Haven't tried any of those except for hero siege which I didn't like. I'll have a look.

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    You could also try Bug Heroes Quest

And I think I said it already but Monster Adventures

3. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    Have those... Didn't like them much back then... Might as well retry.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It's getting outdated now but B34$t's List of Dual-stick Shooters used to be the best thread on the forum and might be worth a scroll through: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=34474
    Please report back on how you find those recommendations.

5. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    Will do. Redownloaded a few of those games and trying them now. Just having some problems with my AppStore not showing the games I previously purchased. I'll sort it out first.

Now I'm actually playing Space Miner HD and Pocket RPG.

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
  7. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    Haven't tried Cavern... Need to check it out.

Dungeon Heroes looks good though my disdain in playing SD games on my iPad will mean I won't be playing it... I hope hey release a universal version.

8. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    You know what a perfect game for me would be like? I'm thinking take Pocket RPGs control scheme, add in a skill system similar to Battleheart, add persistent gear, make the gear visible on your toon, make it quest based (instances or free roam, doesn't matter), and lastly add end game content where you grind ad infinitum while getting better random armor...

9. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    #29 aikavari, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    Sport for the triple post... Sorry long night, no one to talk to LOL... I want to try out DH4. Before I do those, I posted some questions on the DH4 thread but I'm posting here just to get your imps.

From DH4 Thread:
    Ummm, so I'm late to the party. I really haven't tried this before given my old iPad only had 16GB capacity. Now that I've traded up to 32GB device, I want to give this a shot. Before I do though, can someone give me some imps. :-D

1. Are there any paywalls?
    2. How does the IAP work? Are there items that are premium currency only?
    3. Heard somewhere that pots don't drop and that they're purchasable only using premium currency. Is at true? How does an ARPG like this work without pots?
    4. How does end game look like? Is there something similar to D3 or WoW end game here or does it just end and you have to make a new character to continue?

Any other things I need to know before I take the plunge that may be annoying along the line?

10. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If this was updated to run smoothly with iOS 7 and also made with iPhone 5 resolution, I would play it all over again. Was awesome back on my iPhone 4.

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Battleheart Legacy seems to be the closest you'll get, minus the controls

12. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    Yup, patiently waiting for that. I hope it turns out well.

On a side note, I'm loving Dungeon Hunter 4. Played a couple of stages and it seems perfect. If I had one complaint, it's the atrocious amount of IAP pushed in your face. From what I've played, I feel I wouldn't mind grinding. I just hope it offers a full fledged end game.

13. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I agree with UndeadCow - Cavern is a must-own game for any fans of the genre. It's difficulty might be a bit higher than pocket RPG but trust me, it's well worth it.

14. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Hey not sure if it was mentioned but I think Battleheart Legacy will be perfect.

15. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Tasty Poison are working on their next 'dungeon crawler' but it will be out on PC first I think. Its a Steampunk themed game called Tom Sparks.

Attached Files:

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    That looks amazing

17. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    Dd they post an ETA? I believe Battleheart Legacy won't be coming out soon as well.