Blockwick 2 Puzzle Testing

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kieffer Bros., Nov 21, 2014.

1. Kieffer Bros.

Kieffer Bros. Well-Known Member

#1 Kieffer Bros., Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    Interested in puzzle testing for Blockwick 2?

Limited slots available. This game is going on Android too, so if you have an Android device you can use that as well. Sign up over yonder: http://kiefferbros.com/blockwick2/beta

After each puzzle we ask you to rate its difficulty and enjoyability. Also, if you come across any bugs let us know about those too. You can use this thread or email us at hello [at] kiefferbros [dot] com.

You won’t be able to download it until we get your device registered and your UDID in the provisioning profile. We’ll wait until we get a good number before making a new build. With Android, you can download it straightaway.

Thanks for your help!

2. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Ooh, really looking forward to this one. Loved the first, and I can see all types of new twists in the trailer. Signed up, and eagerly waiting! I think that $5 is around right.

3. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Wow. This looks great. Watched the trailer. I love puzzle type games. I can see the originality and creativity that went into t.
    Very exciting!
    I definitely am signing up for testing.
    Thank you!

4. bujibiasu

bujibiasu New Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Loved the first, and I can see all types of new twists in the trailer. Signed up, and eagerly waiting! I think that $5 is around right.[​IMG]

5. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Woah, someone just replied with the exact same words I used. Kinda creepy/dodgy/weird...

6. Kieffer Bros.

Thanks for helping out—we hope you enjoy the puzzles! If you have any questions or issues, just let us know. Thanks again!

7. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Finished the first three worlds so far. Feels quite a bit easier than the original blockwick but there's a lot more variety so it's a lot more enjoyable. Although the difficulty of some levels feels out of place, it's hard to distinguish between them with the current level rating system.
    If you really want a good measure of the level difficulties, you should implement a timer of sorts that will relay the solving time back to you. Easy, medium, and hard isn't really too great a rating system :).
    I'm definitely enjoying this a lot so far, I'll give more detailed feedback once I have gone further on in the game.

8. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am happy to be participating in this beta test. I loved the first Blockwick and came very close to completing it 100%. I agree with TheGreatEscaper that the rating granularity is coarse, but with enough testers hopefully it will provide what the Bros. need. There are a lot of puzzles to work through here, so I hope we have at least 4 or 5 days to work through them. I am in the second set now and so far things are not hard, but I know that will change.

9. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    I am now halfway through set six with the snake chains, but I have looked ahead and tried some puzzles from later sets.
    Some bugs I've noticed: the game crashed when I was playing level 5.12: The Sticks. Theree haven't been any other crashes and I can't replicate it, so hopefully it's an isolated incident.
    A minor graphical bug: upon completion of level set 5, the level set box is not depressed like the other level sets are when completed.
    Another minor graphical bug: with the rolling dice/cubes, if it is placed next to a block of matching color, then moved away within a certain timeframe, the next side will not display with the correct color, but then suddenly flicker back to its original color.
    A possibly fatal gameplay bug: with the sticky blocks, sometimes moving the non-sticky block away from the block will disconnect them, even when there is nothing stopping the sticky block from moving with the normal block. Easily replicatable, and something that makes some levels seemingly unintentionally easy (unless I don't understand the mechanic properly).

I'll see how much further I can get. It's starting to up the difficulty now!

10. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #10 ROGER-NL, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    The trailer looks great, I see BLOCKWICK as one of the best puzzlers for IOS, so I am very excited for part 2.

I don't beta test, never did, I just wait for the full game to be released.

Good luck with your decisions and with your launch.

11. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    Signed up

12. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    could you explain what's the need of the 'dot' on each level also what's different if we can solve the level with 'illumination' symbol on it? because I don't see its necessary since there's no star rating here

13. slewis7

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I believe that funding the dot is just an extra challenge for each level.

14. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I signed up yesterday.

15. Kieffer Bros.

Thanks for the feedback and bug/glitch reports—we really appreciate it!

Agreed, the level rating is a bit low-res, but in context, we find it very helpful. After a you press submit, we collect your ratings, along with the time and number of moves, and average it with all other testers’ ratings and times. This gives us a pretty clear idea if a puzzle is out of place.

This version of the game is meant primarily for puzzle testing. All the puzzles and chapters are unlocked. This probably won’t be the case in the release version. The little pearls function as level unlocks. If you find it, the next puzzle will be available to play. This will allow players to keep playing even if they get stumped on a particular puzzle. Also, if you collect all the pearls in the game, it unlocks a tenth bonus chapter with really tricky puzzles. This function is currently unavailable, but you can access the bonus chapter by solving the last puzzle in chapter nine and pressing next.

Also, because we wanted to start puzzle testing as quickly as possible, there are no tutorials and other explanatory devices. We tried our best to make it as intuitive as possible by introducing things slowly, but we’re thinking we may still need to clarify the specialty blocks and mastery glyphs and hidden pearls. (Maybe using diagrams instead of text, so it’s more accessible for our international friends.)

Again, a huge thanks for your help!

16. slewis7

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    #16 slewis7, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    I am really struggling with level 4.15 - Trickle Down Economics. It never worked for the government either ;-)

Edit: Finally solved it! This was by far the hardest level for me to this point.

17. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Hmm, very bad bug on level 6-9, the lower right (when playing in landscape) blue snake randomly disappeared. Haven't been able to reproduce this bug, but still this needs attention.

The puzzle design is top notch.

18. Kieffer Bros.

Ah, yes, the mysterious caterpillar disappearing act! Thought we fixed this in earlier versions. Thanks for the heads up! Also, the crash in 5.12 may have been caused by turning the music off between tracks. Looking into it.

19. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Oh wow, the illumination glyphs add a whole new layer of challenge to the game. It's almost like two puzzles in one. Replaying earlier levels (stuck on one in world 6) to get illumination. Once trivial levels are now really hard! It's a great concept and well implemented. This is clearly a very well thought out game.

20. Kieffer Bros.

We’re happy you like the illumination/mastery feature; that’s definitely what we were aiming for–more puzzle in less space. Thanks for the feedback!