anybody tempted to buy a Nintendo 2DS that will be at $80?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ackmondual, May 14, 2016.

1. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    My iPod Touch 5 still works fine (even if the battery life has noticeably waned after 2.5 years of use) and I still have a backlog I'd like to get through (a minimum # of games at any rate). However, when that croaks, it's good to know I'll have another viable option for portable gaming. I'm tempted, but will have to revisit this option when I will lose the IpT5.

Sure, games cost $20 to $40 a pop, but I am a fan of Nintendo, and given how some games are these days on iOS, paying a premium of $20 to $40 may be worth it. Especially how good of a value some of them are.

These says the price drop will be on May 20th
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/why-you-should-buy-a-2ds-now,news-22662.html
    http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/11/nintendo-2ds-new-price/

Some pros and cons between this and the 3DS:
    +damn it's affordable
    +comes with Mario Kart 7

+no hinges. Word is, it was only a matter of time before kids would break that
    +controls are more comfy for kids

-no clamshell design means it's less portable
    -obviously, it loses its 3D capability
    -I hear this won't support SNES emulation/VC
    -this unit isn't as high powered as its 3DS counterpart. As such, it won't be able to run certain games
    -another site says sound quality is inferior here

2. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I got a New 3DS for Christmas and I've had so much fun with it. I haven't bought a new game yet for it. I've been playing older games like Castlevania Aria of Sorrow and Mario 64 DS. I bought them on Half.com pretty cheap.

There are also a ton of great games on the eShop like Steam World Dig, Steam World Heist, and Cave Story. Not to mention all the Virtual Console games. I've played through the original Zelda, Metriod, and Super Mario 3.

It is true that you can't play the SNES games unless you have the New 3DS and that's a bummer because they've released some great ones so far. I've bought Super Metroid, Super Mario World, F Zero, and Zelda : A Link to the Past. However, the New 3DS is $200.

For $80, I think it's a no brainer. It just sucks that you can't play the SNES games.

3. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    The only 3DS games the 2DS can't play are the ones marked "New 3DS Only". That's a small list, including SNES Virtual Console releases, Xenoblade, Binding Of Isaac, and a couple of Japan-only releases. Some recent games don't run as well on the original 3DS/2DS, but outside of the frankly embarrassing Zelda: Hyrule Warriors Legends, it usually amounts to just a bit more loading time.

If you're just looking for a cheap way to play 99% of the 3DS library, the 2DS is great. And you absolutely should have a 3DS/2DS of some kind - there are so many awesome games on the platform.