Grand Theft Auto III - By Rockstar Games (Releasing Dec/15)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kingofkings8183, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingofkings8183

kingofkings8183 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    #1 kingofkings8183, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

First Gameplay Videos:

10 years ago, this month, the revolutionary open-world epic Grand Theft Auto III was released to the world – a game that set players loose as a small-time criminal at the bottom of the food chain in Liberty City, a sprawling metropolis where anything can happen – and probably will.

To commemorate the game’s 10th anniversary, we’re proud to announce that Grand Theft Auto III will be coming to select new generation iOS and Android devices later this fall. For the lineup of supported devices, check the list below:

Apple iOS Devices: iPad 2, iPhone 4S (Single core iOS devices to be supported 'in the future')
    Android Phones: Droid X2, HTC Evo 2, LG Optimus 2X, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Galaxy S2
    Android Tablets: Acer Iconia, Asus Eee Pad, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Source : http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/19201/announcing-grand-theft-auto-iii-10th-anniversary-edition-for-sel.html

Initial Impressions (Kotaku)

Hot on the heels of the announcement earlier today, Rockstar Games made the 10th anniversary edition of Grand Theft Auto IIIavailable for attendees to play. After about 10 minutes of hands-on time with the game running on an iPad 2, there's no mistaking that GTA III on iOS is a loving port of the game that catapulted Rockstar to the top echelon of game developers. The up-rezzed graphics become immediately apparent, with tons more detail on character faces and clothes. What I played of the game runs smoothly, with no hitches or freezes. A little bit of pop-up showed up while driving, but wasn't so egregious as to spoil the experience.

Control-wise, it supports either touch or accelerometer controls and will even support suction cup joysticks that attach to the tablet like the Fling. A virtual circle pad on the left controls movement with buttons on the right for running, jumping and punching. These controls pop in and out depending on context, so when a car pulls up, a car button shows up. Pushing it launches a carjack encounter, which, of course, can become a fight. Once in the car, buttons for brake, accelerator and horn pop up. The left navigation circle pad changes into two arrows for steering, too. It felt like I might like the motion control steering more but that might change with more time with the game.

Overall, Grand Theft Auto III iOS felt very close to the delivery experience by the PS2 a decade ago, except this time it's in the palm of your hand.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5849639/grand-theft-auto-iii-on-ios-looks-better-than-you-remember

2. sivyan

sivyan Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Germany
    A5 only?!?Are you fu**ing serious?!?? GTA3 was my favourite ever..

3. kingofkings8183

Sep 22, 2010
    Yep, I guess the older devices just don't have enough power to run the game. I will be purchasing an iPad 2 to play this game.

4. sivyan

sivyan Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Germany
    If I had the money I would do that too!Gta 3 would be so worth it

5. chriser

chriser Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Few days after iP4S premiere, rockstar is announcing gta III for a5 only. This must be some kind of marketing joke. How many games uses the full power of iphone 4?

6. chase123

chase123 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Pakistan,Karachi.
    I agree,they would gain more sales if it were to be on the earlier iOS devices,but Rockstar Studios are a clever gaming studio,the earlier iOS devices just can't handle gta 3,i presume.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Many. Many more actually exceed it and deliver lackluster performance.

Considering that the 4S sold over a million units in pre-order, that there are well over 10 million iPad 2s out there (way more than Nintendo 3DSs), and that GTA3 is a decade old and more than earned out its development costs (and then some) , this move by Rockstar is truly a no brainer.

8. bagofeyes

bagofeyes Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Australia
    I don't like this feeling of being a generation behind now :/
    Hope they bring out an ipad 3 soon - that will be an instant buy for me.

9. kingofkings8183

Sep 22, 2010
    What I am also excited about, is that Rockstar will most likely also bring Vice City and San Andreas over if this succeeds. That would be effing awesome.

10. altair77

altair77 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greece,Athens
    OMG thats so awesome!

11. radchad1

radchad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Accountant
    Lake Zurich, Illinois
    I agree about the iPhone 4 having games exceed the processing power and games perform poorly because of it. Plus it's only a matter of time before the iPhone 5 is announced with a quad core processor in about a year from now :). I know we don't want to hear our devices are passed their time but i feel my
    iPhone 4 just can't handle this, but my iPad 2 can and still has a lot of power even after running this game in a few months from now.

12. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Sorry but making it only working on A5 is just a lazy way to don't take the Time and make it work on the iPhone 4. We are talking about a Game that is literally older then the iOS Community and Rock$tar doesn't take the Time to Port it to the older iDevices too just shows how ignorant and lazy those Guys are.

The Original Game were running on a single Core with 450 MHz so I don't see a reason why this Game shouldn't run even on a 3GS.

Rock$tar might use some shitty Emulator at the End to don't take more then a Week to port it on the A5 at the End.

Instead of a shit like that they should start to pull out new Franchise on the iDevices.It's Developer like Rock$tar that make me sick when they believe they can earn a huge load of Money with a cheap Port like that.

If Rock$star wana see how it should be done they should take a look at Nintendo and the last Zelda Game...

Sorry for those harsh words but Rock$star seems lately to don't give a f*ck about a few things so why should we if it comes to them.

13. Since87

Since87 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    gtfoh

thats crazy

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Frankly, I see this much more as an iPad 2 game than an iPhone game (unless Rockstat does a major overhaul for the smaller screens).

15. wooseokjo

wooseokjo Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Well, I hope they enhance the graphics.

16. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Ya, the graphics in GTA3 have aged very poorly.

I'd rather play GTA Chinatown Wars, anyway.

17. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#17 Sanuku, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    Quick Note:

The CPU of the iPhone 4S is slower then the one from the iPad/iPhone 4. I would even go that far that the GPU doesn't matter as much as the CPU this Time.

Sure, the 4S does have a Dual Core but considering that at the Time GTA 3 were launched we would Dream of a Dual Core I am asking myself how the Game will run on the 4S/iPad 2? Full HD/FSAA/HD Textures?

Looking forward to see the Game in Action and what might be the Reason for that ... Hardware Hunger :)

18. Taytay

Taytay Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    #18 Taytay, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    This is great & theres more games to be announced soon you will see to bad alot will only be for 4s & ipad2 but hey that only means one thing (upgrade) did people really think they could stick to their old 3g & 3gs & expect better graphics & performance sorry but technology never works like that

But i know one thing upcoming games like these make alot of people wish they put the A5 chip in ipod touches but hey at least ipad2s are a little cheaper for those who really want A5

19. wooseokjo

wooseokjo Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    I thought that gpu matters much more than CPU when gaming?

20. chase123

chase123 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Pakistan,Karachi.
    Take for an example:"Warm Gun",It exceeded the limits of my iPod touch 4g,it lagged a lot.