My iPad 4 is broken!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by AlexsIpad, Aug 5, 2013.

1. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    So I was using my ipad, and it unexpectedly turned off for no reason, and rebooted itself.
    When it came back on, I carried on using it for a couple of minutes, only for it to do the same thing again. It kept doing this so I decided to reset the iPad by holding down the home and off button at the same time.
    However now that it's turned back on, I've found that the screen no longer rotates when I turn it (I've made sure its not on any kind of rotation lock).
    I've read that the screen rotation is controlled by the ipad's built in accelerometer, and you can test it out by playing games that use it such as real racing. So I tested it out and have discovered that it doesn't work, the car won't turn when I tilt the screen.
    So does this mean my iPad's accelerometer is broken? Is there a way I can fix it? I posted this question onto the apple support and was told to sync it and back it up, and then reset the iPad that way. I haven't tried this yet but I was just wondering for other people's opinions and if it is a hardware problem and I will need to send off my ipad to be fixed.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Might be worth booking in a session with an Apple advisor at your nearest store. I did that in Manchester, they took a look at my device and then later fixed it.

3. AlexsIpad

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    Okay thank you, I'll try to reset it using a back up and then see what happens

4. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Do everything before taking it to an apple Genius Bar. Reboot, sync with iTunes etc. I did did all of the above when my old iPhone 4S had broken Wi-Fi & 30 minute battery life 100% to 0% in 30 mins! Fully charged :)

Apple just replaced the phone, luckily my warranty was valid :)

5. AlexsIpad

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    Yes, I have a feeling they may have to replace it as its a hardware problem :/ unless they can replace the accelerometer?

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    If its quite new and under warranty you 'might' be lucky

About 2 weeks after getting my first ipod touch 4th gen 64 gig i left it on dark covered magazine, late one night i went to pick up the magazine (not seeing the black ipod) and it dropped onto the stone floor we had and it smashed the screen, i was gutted !

Took it to the nearest Apple store, took a look at it, tapped a few things on the computer (probably showing how many 100's of apps i was buying every week !), asked if i had it backed up (which i had). A few mins later just handed me a brand new one ! After that i loved apple tons !!! Now thats what i call customer service !!

7. AlexsIpad

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    Yes I assume it is still under warranty considering I got it about 7 months ago, so hopefully they will just give me a new one if necessary

8. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
  9. Apple often makes exceptions if you take it to an Apple store and will exchange products even after their official deadlines. Definitely take it there, and they might help you out.

10. AlexsIpad

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    I have booked in an appointment with the Genius Bar for Sunday, quite a wait but it has to be done, thanks all for your help :)

11. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    My girlfriend has the same problem about the broken wifi. Well it is greyed out and won't let her turn it on.
    Would a restore fix it? I read on google and saw on youtube that the problem still exists. After doing so.
    So what would be the best thing to do? Try restoring it? Or go to apple store?

Also I on my iPad 4th gen. I did something and it got stuck on recovery mode. Couldn't boot it up, restore it or anything.
    I looked all over the internet and couldn't find a way to fix it. So I found to sites and out them together and found out how to fix the permanently stuck recovery mode.