New York Astrophysicist seeks London internship.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by arhb, Mar 20, 2013.

1. arhb

arhb Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    NYC
    Hi there UK developers,
    I've been a member of this forum since the beginning, and am an experienced beta tester. I've just come from teaching and doing research at Columbia and I'm in the UK looking for a change. I've always wanted to get into ios game design, and so I'm offering my services free of charge to get some experience. N body simulations in Python are my specialty, but I've worked with SQL amongst other languages. I'm happy to learn, and just want to help out, whatever I can do.
    Send me a PM if you are interested in finding out more.
    Thanks.

2. Black Ops

Black Ops Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Benedict Arnold

Going from the USA to the UK to learn game programming is the equivalent of a Brit coming to the USA to better his football/soccer skills. They also cheat in scrabble by adding "U"s to words that don't need them.

If your next post is "I moved to Britain for the quality of the dentists", I am going to ask that you be committed.

:p

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^Sigh

Would be tempting to reply with a huge great response but some of us have some class. Saying moving to the UK to do game development is like going to the US to study soccer is complete rubbish.

4. Black Ops

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Mate dont be so touchy. I was yanking a fellow american's chain a bit is all and poking a bit of fun at you brits.

Teasing us about soccer and teasing you guys about teeth isnt anything you havent heard before. Clearly there is no difference in ability to program based on geography, either you can or you cannot.

Don't make me dump tea into the delaware river and start another rebellion.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The U's have a reason for being there, it's just that a few billion people aren't smart enough to figure out why.

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Of course there's a reason, tradition over modernity and sensibility. A little island that was once an empire is bound to be caught up in the past ;)

7. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    You say POTATO, they say POUTATO.

8. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    I hope you good luck with this. Do you have experience with C++? Are your goals to eventually be making games for a living? As a designer, programmer, or a bit of everything?

As it turns out I also have an astrophysics background. I can tell you the math and physics knowledge can serve you well.

9. arhb

arhb Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    NYC
    Hi there. Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm actually here while American residency is sorted out. Being originally neither American nor British, but from NZ. I only have a little experience with C programming. Basically I'm looking for somewhere I can lend a hand to pick up some new skills, while I do work work here in finance. Eventually I would love to be putting out my own apps.

10. arhb

arhb Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    NYC
    I'm definitely more on the programming side.

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Actually it's just to stop words having hard vowels and ending abruptly. "Colour" implies the word kinda fades out gently while "color" could sound like anything from "collar" to "colon" ;)

12. Black Ops

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Is it coincidence that when giving an example of what we Americans sound like and have done to the English language, the word you use is "colon"?

What does the "re" instead of "er" in "centre" indicate? That a significant percentage of Medieval English Sign Makers were dyslexic?
    :p

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I haven't done research into it, but I'm thinking these days it's because people give different meaning to each one. One is the middle of something, the other is a place. We have Job Centres, but I'd call the middle of a circle it's center.

14. Black Ops

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Isn't the center of a city the city centre though? That is the middle of something and a place. Maybe place takes precedence if something is both?

I am sure it is residue from Old English were they seemed to like ending things in e's. The oldest part of Philadelphia is called Olde City, but recently they started painting over the E in subway stops and on tourist stuff because they were all getting lost trying to find Old City.