The Great 64-bit Culling

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by FuZion, Jul 7, 2017.

1. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    My experience: it does nothing when there's no 32-bit apps installed. I downloaded TouchArcade's because I know it's not supported, and it turned out that TA's app was the only non-supported app I have installed.

2. Azleaann

Azleaann Active Member

Apr 24, 2012
    I did touch 'application' but nothing happens..there's no 'link' to go anywhere else.

I've got the X-com game installed and I'm sure the talk is that's not 64bit...not according to comments from buyers on the App Store.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see...as long as my Broken Sword games continue to work !

3. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    The developer of Finding Teddy 'liked' my tweet. Not sure if that constitutes as coming to 64-bit or not, but a nice acknowledgment that the message has been seen.

4. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Has anyone heard what percentage of the App Store will be lost? Just curious if it's over 50%.

5. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    That means you don't have any 32 bit apps.

6. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Or your not on the latest iOS. It won't do that on 10.0

7. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Ahh...didn't think of that.

8. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    10.3.2 will identify the 32 bit apps. iOS 11 won't let you install them.

9. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    If one has an Air/Air2, iOS 9.x, and they don't upgrade iOS to 10 or 11, would 32 bit games still work?

I'd think they would, but any clarification would be sincerely appreciated.

Obviously once a new device is purchased by someone this autumn, 32 bit games would not work as well as have the ability to be installed.

Is the above pretty much correct?

10. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    That's all correct. 32 bit apps work in iOS 10 as well. It's only iOS 11 when they'll stop working.

11. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    I contacted the dev via twitter for Wide Sky (Remember, the rope swinging hedgehog?). His reply;

"Not in the near term:/ sorry"
    https://twitter.com/marcus_eckert/status/885763777408512000

12. TheGribble

TheGribble Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    XCOM: Enemy Within and Dungeon Raid. Guess I'll be putting off iOS 11 until something I really want comes along and I fold instantly. :(

13. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Several Luxor titles are updated, looks like MumboJumbo are keeping these 7 year old classics alive! Hopefully the rest will follow.
    XCom could stay afloat for one year. What a cash grab.

14. Darkfyra

Darkfyra Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Is there any news for Tactics because if not if I fail to get Tactics on PSP,I will get a Vita and download it on the PS Store or if it's the only way will get the original PS1 title.

15. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Hi everyone, I plan to edit my OP with your additions, just not got round to it. I've currently discovered almost 500 of my own library that will be lost to this change.

Don't want to overkill this thread, but if people have the opportunity to save their faves on a 32-bit device, I certainly want to share my findings in case you see any gems you've forgotten about.

As time passes, my setup will be, iPad Pro & iPhone (whatever comes out this year) with iOS 11. And, rather than the usual selling of old devices, I'll keep my iPad Air 2 at iOS 10 & a an iPhone 5s at iOS 10 to keep hold of the 32-bit gems.

I'm really annoyed that I didn't download Soccer Physics to my Mac in time. Have it on my iPad but transferring from the device isn't a thing anymore is it's not on the store. Gutted.

16. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I don't think there's been news on FFT, but Square isn't always very forthcoming about mobile games.

And I'm seriously considering a Vita and a copy of FFT:WotL myself. I won't be holding a device back to iOS 10 but I'm bummed I'll lose Tactics.

17. Darkfyra

Darkfyra Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2017
    #37 Darkfyra, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Why did Tactics became such a mess to get?Compared to Vagrant Story(PS Store)and FFXII(have both),why can't they just make a whole new version or port the ios version on Steam,that won't be the first time PSP games end up on Steam(Trail in the Sky anyone?) and it will make sure that we can preserve most of the Ivalice Alliance games,something that should have been obvious knowing that XII is part of the same timeline meaning that yes having the full Ivalice story would be nice.Also still waiting for Lunar also,yet again....searching old PSP games is a nightmare.Convincing my mom to let me get a Vita even worse.

18. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Apps currently on my phone that are not compliant.

Dungelot
    Run Roo Run
    Greedy Dwarf
    Icewind Dale :(
    FFT :(
    Infinity Blade 1 :(
    Baldur's Gate :(
    Indiana Stone
    Dungelot 2
    Minigore
    Mushihimesama Bug Panic :(

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Wasnt Indiana Stone removed from the appstore?

And the 2 D20 titles are going to be huge losses.

20. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Ive read that the updates to Icewind and Baldurs are in the works, Indy Stone is removed as you said, didn't notice that. Surprisingly Lara Croft is okay!