iOS RPG's

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Human X, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Human X

Human X Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Gamer
    Australia
    #1 Human X, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    What are some good 8-bit or 16-bit RPG's that aren't Korean? As much as I like Zenonia and Inotia, they got boring after hours of grinding. Games like Spellsword, Yipe!5 and Kyle's Quest are all good, entertaining and dont require heaps of grinding. Any other 3D RPG's like Swordigo or Nyx Quest are good as well. If you have any suggestions to add to the list, please do. Thanks.:)

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #2 Royce, Jul 14, 2012
    So you're looking for action RPGs?

Swordigo and Mage Gauntlet would be a good place to start.

3. illustranaut

illustranaut Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Graphic Designer & illustrator
    Sat at my laptop
    #3 illustranaut, Jul 14, 2012
    Ok, bear with me, here are some suggestions, it's hard to choose for other people, games that you might personally love might not be someone else's cup of tea/moccaccino/gravy/(insert your favourite beverage here)...

So, for what it's worth here are some games that 'get my groove on' so to speak:

8/16 bit rpgs/action adventure:
    Rimelands
    Squids
    Mage gauntlet
    Sword and Sworcery
    Legends of Lore
    Wild Frontier
    Solomon's Keep & Solomon's Boneyard (gauntletlike)
    Dungeon Hunter 1 & 2
    Wesnoth
    RPG Quest Minimae (can't remember much about this one, I think I enjoyed it)
    Across Age
    The Bard's Tale
    Braveheart (purely action, but fun)
    Illusia (not really got into this but judging by what you mentioned this could be one for you, it's a side-scrolling rpg)
    Aurum Blade (nice isometric action RPG)
    then there's the square enix titles which I personally love...
    Secret of Mana
    Final fantasy series
    FF tactics if you're into strategy battles

Roguelikes:

Cavern
    Rogue touch
    Fargoal
    Legends of Yore
    Mysterious Castle (my personal favourite roguelike, it's still not finished but is great fun with plenty of features to be added, it can also be quite hard if you just rush into every battle, strategically playing the encounters is key here)

Wildcard suggestions:
    Undercroft (oldstyle Dungeon Master / Eye of the beholder RPG stylee)
    Galaxy on Fire 1 & Galaxy on Fire 2 (bit of a curveball but has some RPG elements like ship upgrades, side quests, main storyline and has humour by the shed-load, plus, if you get a kick out of showing the right end of a laser cannon to a pirate that's just insulted you, this is the game you need).

Anyway, I hope you have fun with some of these, I know I have, and still do :)
    P.S. I don't actually drink gravy out of a mug, that would be so uncool...
    :)

4. Blue145

Blue145 Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Rpg

Before I got my phone, the best RPG I'd played was FF3. Sure it didn't have great graphics, but the story was immersing, you fell in love with the characters, had a great deal of customisation. etc. There are in my opinion FF games with better story, but for me FF3 just had the whole package, and the retro style gameplay was perfect. I bought it on my phone yesterday, after debating it judging by the hefty price tag, but it's the best app ive ever bought on my phone to date.

5. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

6. nascode

nascode Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Game Developer
    Bandung, Indonesia
    My personal favourite is Mage Gauntlet

Fun hack and slash rpg with really entertaining dialogs. And the ending is quite surprising

Definitely definitely a must buy!

7. FraggleJP

FraggleJP Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    The ones that stay fun for me, no matter how much I play them are Solomons keep and Undercroft. To a lesser extent, The Quest.

Also 2 semi-rpgs that never grow old for me are puzzle quest (1, not 2) and dungeon raid.

You probably know about all these games already, so sorry :)

Mage gauntlet was fun but didnt hold my attention for very long.

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    If you like roguelikes (randomized dungeons and loot, turn-based, usually not very story driven), then try out 100 Trials (used to be called 100...ehh, I forgot, I'm tired).

Also, grab Solomon's Keep. It's been one of my favorite iOS games since it was released years ago, and it's free!

9. BirdBoy

BirdBoy Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Avernum and Avadon are both amazing, deep, full scale RPGs. I always wonder why I don't see them making peoples lists more maybe because they cost more than some games but well you get what you pay for. I would say grab avernum if you are into big open world strategy RPGs that you can sink 40+ hours into easily.

10. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Well, Avadon is iPad only, isn't it? Not as many iPad users, I would think, as there are iPhone and iPod users.

11. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Mage Gauntlet blows

Not really an rpg IMO, and the "comedy" is lame at best. Steer clear.

12. GeekyDad

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    :rolleyes:

No...just no.

I'll agree with you that Mage Gauntlet is as much an RPG as Zelda is, but I dare say there's nothing lame about the game. It can grow a bit samey, but it's still a great iOS game in its own right.

13. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Well...

Glad you enjoyed it. I guess we'll have to differ on what constitutes 'great'. Personally, I found it to be a pointless, repetitive, bore.

14. GeekyDad

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Fair enough. ;)

15. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011

GeekyDad - I agree!

Anyways... how about turn based? Guardian Saga is a GREAT Dragon Quest throwback. And personally, I absolutely adore Legends of Yore. But one (big) caveat - you have to love retro and rogue likes.

Oh... and if you want an action rpg, Pocket Rpg is a great Diablo like experience. Hope this helps! :)

16. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #16 undeadcow, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    Check out my iOS RPG List thread for as comprehensive a list of iOS RPG games; also, I encourage recommendations there too.

Fall of Angels, Knighturn, and The Quest Gold are great.

17. picohero

picohero Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Ragnorak violet is good.

18. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I dunno, dude. This doesn't look good to me at ALL! Not even going think about this one. PFFFTTT!