The monster at the end of this post

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ayjona, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've a beast on my desk. It is slick, and black, and sleek, an it threatens to consume everything within range if I do not soon offer it proper tribute and feed its ravenous appetite.

But with 64 bits of new elder horror, two abominable cores, eerily insightful home button and a screen that is taller and more narrow than any natural portable screen has the right to be, I realize that I, who is still reeling from the introduction of the Retina screen and thinks my former iPhone is the height of fashion and bleeding edge of tech (and who insistently blames input lag on the app in question, something that at least in the case of Facebook is probably true), don't really know how to satisfy this creature.

So, Toucharcadians, what games might a long-time (three years but not counting) iPhone 4 owner have missed out on, thanks to incompatabilities or intolerable lag, and might want to immediately button-smash-buy and install on his new 5S?

Deus Ex and XCOM are accounted for, Bastion is a no-go (no manual aiming for ranged attacks on iOS. Humble Bundle has me Steam-covered), and some of the most given choices for gleeful graphical showboating (your choice of Infinity Blade, Asphalt, new Ravensword, Galaxy on Fire 2, stuff that could be enjoyed on my iPhone 4, but not with the same manic indulgence). Bloodmasques is also on the list (though I couldn't quite say why. Perhaps because the world needs more grumpy cat-faced vampire hunters). But what else?

For whenever I look up from my panicked scribblings, it is there, watching, waiting, hungering...

2. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    GoF has ads now. Avoid.
    Ps how is xcom?

3. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Some people really liked Call of Duty: Strike Team, if you're into that sort of thing.

4. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    As a rock-hard hardcore iOS proponent, especially of iOS as a serious gaming, productivity and creativity platform, I have grown kinda weary of that old "I can't believe I am playing this on a phone" exclamation. But... I can't believe I'm playing this on a phone! ;)

Well, I can, actually, since this is what I've believed the platform capable of from the inception of the App Store. But XCOM is certainly one of the most powerful examples of the increasingly unrestricted nature of iOS, iPhones and smartphones.

In gamer speak, it is deep, long, extremely polished, among the best-looking titles for the platform, varied for a TBS (with additional 4X-light elements and very nice soldier progression), and one of the most entertaining turn-based tactics game I've played. Also, I suspect XCOM multiplayer might be one of the most sophisticated async experiences for the platform.

I hold it as highly as the Ravenmark series and Final Fantasy Tactics (the two pinnacles of TBS for iOS, and probably among the best for any machine). While comparisons to two mobile-only titles and a 16 year old PS1 game might not seem all that flattering, from me it is the highest of game praise ;)

I'm not, really (the theme, that is. Action and tactics, especially combined, definitively), except I did indeed get curious when reading the review. I'll add that one to the list. Thanks!

5. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Time to change your device info...;) and congrats!

Went with the 64, huh? I'm due to upgrade, and the 64 is what I desire... now to convince my wallet. ;):D

DBC

6. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I strongly disagree. The adds aren't frequent at all, and the only ads I got were the actual ads for the game content extensions.

Some people complain about the credit IAPs but they aren't an issue at all. Once you have a bit experience in the game you can easily make millions of credits in under an hour.

7. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    I don't even consider those actual "ads" per se, provided they're spread out a bit and not popping up in the middle of actual gameplay.

As for the credit IAPs, I think the big gamble for devs is whether people are willing to hang around long enough to get, "a bit of experience in the game," or just look at what (they perceive) lies ahead and bail rather than risk an inordinate grind later on...

DBC

8. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    First off, kudos to the reference to one of the greatest books of all time. I would just like to see you TRY to read on in this post....

Did you know that you are very strong?

Secondly, I just got the 5s myself. I seem to have very similar tastes to you with TBS. Have you played Eustrath? I only ask because it outstrips Ravenmark, in my mind. And neither hold a candle to xcom or FFT. Also, try Partia if you like Fire Emblem.

None of which are 5s only, but as I've said, I'm a new 5s-er myself. Enjoy!