Universal The Bard's Tale - (by inXile Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 30, 2011.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I played it a little bit, but am not thrilled with the controls. I didn't try the touchscreen option yet, but the joystick was kind of difficult to use accurately. Hopefully I get use to it (or touchscreen option is better).

Also I tried the original Bards Tale, but that was just confusing. Moving around seems to be random. What I mean is I will move in a direction, then turn left and what I see is not at all what I was expecting to see.

2. RayZZoo

RayZZoo Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Belgium
    Do you know if it is possible to continue the game after the end of the scenario ? I have missing achievements that I would like to do, but I don't know if I have to do before the end of the game...

3. RayZZoo

Aug 1, 2011
    Belgium
    As I finished the game this morning, I will respond to my own questions... :D

This leaderboard is updated at the end of the game, after the last fight (or no... it depends of your choice :D).

No, it is not possible to travel to the world after the end. So, the achievements have to be done during the quest. Or in beginning a new game...

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with this game. The story is excellent. Until the end, I had a good laugh.

4. RazvanGNR

RazvanGNR Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    #484 RazvanGNR, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
    I just began playing this game, and i must say that it`s great (i regret not starting it sooner), but i have a question about the extras, how do i unlock them? i read somewhere about donating money to the church? if so, how much must i donate?
    And the second question, does the IAP offer, things that you can`t earn by simply playing the game?

Also, i know that after finishing the game you are not able to roam again in the world, but before i finish it, can i go back to all the places i visited, in case i missed a chest or sth?

Thanks in advance :)

5. RazvanGNR

Apr 18, 2011
    Did anyone else have trouble with the 4 maps achievement? I got them all but the achievements didn`t unlock :-??

6. RayZZoo

Aug 1, 2011
    Belgium
    Could you tell me where to find the 4 maps ?

7. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    I found that if you donate either the medium or high values, you'll get extras (and different for each value). The low value didn't give anything (except healing I think). AFAIK, IAP are only if you don't want to have to look for the stuff in the game.

As for returning to previous places, I discovered, a bit too late, that once you pass through the mountains to get to the final tower, you can't go back. Disappointing, because I missed completing a side quest.

8. RayZZoo

Aug 1, 2011
    Belgium
    Unfortunately, I haven't tried, but just before the final tower, you able to travel in a bird of fire. Perhaps it is possible to come back to previous places with it ?

9. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Oh really? I haven't gotten to the final tower yet myself (I'm on my way though).

10. RazvanGNR

Apr 18, 2011
    #490 RazvanGNR, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
    When you exit a town, you can see a black trow walking around on the world map! Avoid the beast encounters, and follow the trow until you touch him so you can enter with him in the instance!
    Once you`re there, you will have to chase after him(really easy) and talk to him! He will offer you 4 maps, but you can only buy one for every encounter!
    If you have a high charisma, the price will go down from 4000 to 3000/per map!

Hope that helped :)

PS: i didn`t let him talk about all the maps, i skipped the dialogue, maybe that`s why it didn`t sync the achievements! Just a heads up for you so you don`t do the same :)

11. nippyjun

nippyjun Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Hi. I can't locate the firbolg mines. I may have missed the entrance.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

12. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #492 tops2, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
    Wow..just want to say fantastic game. Took me ~19 hours (& barely touched any other games at length) and didn't use gamefaqs. The gameplay is pretty decent and I like managing all the summons. But my favorite part was the tongue in cheek humor. Don't know if I'll play through again, but boy was it fun.

This is the few iOS game that I played with sound on (earphones) just so I won't miss the delivery of the dialog. ;)

13. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Yeah, I just finished this weekend too, and I agree. Best part was definitely the humor. Cary Elwes is awesome. I liked the multiple endings too.

And in answer to RayZZoo, yes, you can use the flying fiery thing to travel to any area again - it allowed me to go back and do the one quest/town I missed before.

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Strongly considering deleting IB2 to help make room for this. In the wake of Diablo III releasing on PC, I'm itching to play a decent hack-n-slash.

Wish there was a way to dowload the game in pieces. Ugghh...damn 8 GB.

15. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    The big downside of this game is the size, for sure. Especially when they came out with upgrades mid-play for me. But definitely worth playing, excellent game.

16. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    I've started playing BT3 and can't for the life of me figure out how to use bows. I have my rogue equipped with a bow and arrows (both equipped) and have tried placing her in both slots 4 and 5. In slot 4 she always tries to do melee and in slot 5, she doesn't have any attack option. And it makes no difference whether the monsters are at 10' or farther.

Am I missing something?

17. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    So...anyone know the exact, uncompressed size? I just loaded a fresh 25 bucks onto my iTunes account, and want to pick this up, but I figure it will be like all the other ginormous apps I purchase - stuck in iTunes, never making its way onto my 4s 16 Gb. ( Looking at you, Max Payne, Fifa 2012, etc...). Already bought Ascencion (bout time), looking at hunters 2 as well, thoughts, after the first one, I know I shouldn't. Oh, I've got other interests beyond games, and I'll grab Nlog Synth if it's on sale for 10 bucks...Ok I think I'm officially rambling now.

18. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Anyone else tried this?

19. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Exact I couldn't say. I've gathered though that apps are usually half their actual size when compressed though, so if it's 1.7 gigs on my phone, maybe 3.4 gigs.

20. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Anyone have the game still installed that can tell the exact uncompressed size?