Onlive App

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SirAwesome, Dec 8, 2011.

1. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    #1 SirAwesome, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
    Now that the onlive app allows users to play console quality title on thier tablets and smart phones I wanted to get some inital impression of people experience. What set up are you using, hows the quality etc.

I know I cant wait. I want to get the controller and hook my ipad up to the tv really bad now.

http://toucharcade.com/2011/12/07/the-onlive-ios-client-is-finally-arriving/

Also from onlives twitter: LEGO Batman will automatically be added to your account within 24 hours of logging in. You'll receive an email when its ready!

2. PugLover

PugLover Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    USA
    I have Xfinity cable which is pretty fast, so I can't wait to try this on my iPad 2. I'm a little jealous of the Android users who are already using it.

3. wttwoa

wttwoa Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    the games are pretty damn cheap too, here is what ive gotten so far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the homefront,red faction Armageddon, and orcs must die is just a free deal they had and it was free for 5 days, and the borderlands goty edition was a misshap on their part because they charged me for it, i contacted them and before it even went on the credit card i got the money back and got to keep the game.

4. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I always felt that Apple was missing a big opportunity for iOS gaming by not releasing an official wireless controller for iPad, so if the Devs can support it with their iOS native apps, this part is good.

I am kind of afraid that the OnLive thing will stop proper porting of hardcore games to iOS though.
    We don't even have NetFlix or Hulu here yet, so it will be ages and ages until/if it comes over here. And the need to have an always-on internet connection to use it is a big minus too.

BTW, is it possible to pay for it with iTunes cards or is credit card/PayPal required? Another huge minus for me, if so.

5. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Well it's not itunes so it requires a CC. Given the nature of the system an always on connection is understandable. We don't have netflix nor hulu here in france but onlive works well.

6. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    CC? Not even PayPal? Meh.

As to always on connection, it may be understandable, but it is a drawback, particularly for mobile devices and for countries where Wi-Fi isn't ubiquitous.

7. killercow

Paypal might be supported I don't remember. It is a drawback but you can't stream a game without an internet connection. That's not as stupid as ubisoft's always on DRM because here it's part of the concept.

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Wait, so basically I can play MW3/BF3 on an iPhone? Or is there certain games only. Sorry, don't know how this works and was about to create a thread to ask, but saw this.

9. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Using a VPN ?
    I'm french too, and I'm curious to see how well this works. I've heard the quality is bad, and there's a lot of lag, both ways, so I'd like to have your opinion.

10. killercow

Mw3/Bf3 aren't on onlive yet. One needs steamworks thus making it impossible to play on onlive and EA isn't fully on board yet. But you'll be able to play saints row the third, arkham city, the witcher 2 (soon), la noire... With the controller at least (la noire is fully playable with touch)

Well if you have a pc you can try it now. There's no restriction on ip, I played a while back and even on us servers it wasn't really laggy. The only problem is that it runs at 720p (1280x1024) so if you've got a bigger screen the image can be quite muddy. But with an ipad/iphone or even a notebook/laptop i think it's really great!
    The service is good too with unique features and they're constantly throwing promotions around.

11. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Honestly think they are going to run into problems with the approval process. I see apple having a cow about this. I jus have a feeling for some reason.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If they are planning to release today, the app is already approved. The only issue I see is handling payments through the OnLive app. Most likely it will send you over to the website for all CC transactions.

Frankly, this the kind of thing that sells devices, especially when competing with the PS Vita. I doubt that Apple would want to cede this space to Android.

13. ZorakZoran

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    I just tried but I'm at work (baaaaddddd :D) and the firewall doesn't let upd trafic pass. I'll try when at home. I've switched to my american appstore account on my phone, but the application still doesn't show.

14. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    This thing sounds amazing....hope it gets approved and doesn't get push-back from Apple (though it seems it may have already, since it was planned to launch last night).

Can't wait to try it out at home.

15. killercow

#15 killercow, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
    Yes, in fact onlive said that you can't buy through the onlive app. But you can now buy directly from the onlive website. Mainly because apple wants a cut of everything that's sold in an app...

16. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Oh ok, I just remember last week when a service was all set to go that had subscription based gaming , from big fish, got pulled at the last minute just prior to release. And when onlive still wasn't in the AppStore this morning, I was like, oh no here we go again.

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Last time I tried they were blocking non UK IPs in Europe (1 months ago).
    Before OnLive opened in UK I could connect and play pretty well from Italy.
    Have they changed this now?
    If not...it's a USA-UK thing only.

I always thought Apple should have bought OnLive...I thought that was the meaning of the big Apple data enter...

18. ZorakZoran

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    I've asked a friend to test it, he's playing Batman as we speak, in France, without VPN.

19. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Is it for iPhone too? Or iPad exclusive?

20. killercow

There's no answer yet but it seems that it's gonna be ipad only at first.