Taiko no Tatsujin is coming in Feb courtesy of Namco

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by GDSage, Jan 15, 2010.

1. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    http://www.famitsu.com/k_tai/news/1231213_1350.html

After successful stints on PS2, DS, PSP and Wii the single drum-bashing music game is coming to the App store! With Twitter functionality.

For those not aware of this series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iJJiGqbKqU

Symbols moving horizontally along a timeline show the player what to hit and when. Small Red symbols indicate that the face of the drum be hit (either the left or right hand side of the drum), and large Red symbols indicate that both sides of the drum face be hit at the same time. Small Blue symbols indicate that the drum should be hit on the rim, and large Blue symbols indicate that both sides of the drum rim be hit at the same time.

Anywho, looks like Scamco is employing their usual tactics with this one as with most of their wares this generation. The game will initially come with just 5 songs at launch, and undoubtedly DLC later.

2. Chronical

Chronical Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    Whoooooooooooooooot!

3. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    This is actually one of my favourite games. The best part is I actually play taiko drums. :)

4. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    YES! aEPIC WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVED THIS GAME ON PS2 UNTIL MINE SCRATCHED THE DISC UP!!!! :(

5. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    Best rhythm game on any platform ever! Yessss!!!!!

6. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    This is great. I can not wait either. It will be great to see some great games again. Thank you guys

7. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I've played this so much on my ds. If they can make at at leas half as good as that then this game will be amazing!

8. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Love love love this game. It's one the very few arcade games I play (I don't really go arcade) and I always come home with sore arms.

9. matax

matax Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    #9 matax, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
    please namco keep the japan (jpop etc..) songs like on the over platform.
    and promise to add downloadable content (free/paid in app purchase DLC) like songs pack, set and skins for drum taiko etc

10. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
  11. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

Why are there so many great franchises that get pushed aside and ignored outside of Japan? Drum Master and Mr. Driller are just two examples I can think of from Namco but it seems like some major Japanese publishers just let their game series stay locked into the local market never to see releases in the western world. :mad:

12. matax

matax Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I think that if Namco releases it worldwide the game will purchase more than only if it stay in Japan. I don't underestimate the franchise in Europe and U.S. in the world there are a lot of people that love Japan, japanese culture, japanese songs and japanese videogames.
    I think also that with the App Store and iPhone could brake these barriers, and get the product to an incredible number of people, this game can be a mass game and Namco, you can earn a lot of money.
    So please Namco revise your plans or you force us to do a petition.

13. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The problem is probably to do with licensing. Getting licenses for Western music might not be worth the cost in Namco's eyes and getting worldwide licenses to music from Japan (the same goes for any Japan IP) is all kinds of tricky, and is normally unsuccessful.

Add all that to the decline of the 'music game' genre in the West and you can begin to understand why Namco might be settling for a Japan release, not least because Taiko is still being made for arcades (and game systems) in Japan so they still hold the Japan-only licenses to the Japanese music.

14. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be the "best rhythm game ever", since it's a drumming game. :rolleyes: It doesn't touch other categories such as dancing or singing. But I've seen this in arcades, and it looks like the best drumming rhythm game. I don't know how this would work on the iPhone though. Typical touch-screen use? It wouldn't be that fun without peripherals.

15. Aspargusman

Aspargusman Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    yea, me too- played through the whole story mode. pretty darn addicting. Insanely hard boss on the last level, tho.

16. matax

matax Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    #16 matax, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    there is 75million iDevice and with the launch of the iPad more over.
    I think it's a good number as the installed base and that Namco could earn much even if it had to pay the rights for the rest of the world.
    For example take Tatsunoko vs Capcom the fans would it out the Japan and now it is a goodseller.
    I also think that music should push in and out of Japanese
    his little nest, and that record companies do not ask a lot
    as rights outside of Japan.

A video of the gameplay:

17. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It doesn't work like that. If that was the case then the PCs install base would mean it being the most obvious choice for support, except it isn't.

It isn't a 75 million install base because the vast majority that own it don't play games on it, just like with the PC. It isn't that simple and a publisher has to take in all sorts of considerations, with Namco it is the decline of the music game genre (especially in the West), coupled with licensing costs, coupled with Taiko being a very niche game in the West. As of now, Namco probably thinks it isn't worth the extra cost to make it available in the West, and that seems to be a fair evaluation.

As for the TvC example, that is one of the rare cases to attaining rights of characters licensed by different western companies. It was an exception that an agreement could be sought, and not the rule. In any case, it is too early to tell if it sold well because we don't have any sales figures yet.

18. tonyunreal

tonyunreal Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
  19. matax

matax Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Is legal purchase with a fake japan account?