On Developers Submitting Games to TouchArcade

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by arn, Sep 17, 2008.

1. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Hi All,

The standard procedure for developers to submit their games to TouchArcade is simply emailing [email protected]

We probably won't get back to you right away if at all, and I apologize for that. It's just that we're busy and we try to look at all games, but sometimes the queue is put on hold when things are busy (like major other announcements) since we can only review so many apps in a given time.

- Screenshots and videos are always helpful.
    - We don't accept gift certificates for the games at this time.
    - We don't accept ad-hoc distribution for games that are in the app store, but may for pre-release titles for review purposes.

Thanks,
    arn

2. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Hey Arn,

The [email protected] address has had issues the two times I've tried to use it. Once several weeks ago, and once last week. Both times I used it, a few hours later, I'd get this sent back:

Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours
    Connection refused by blakespot.com

I tried emailing with my business address, and from my personal address, each of which use entirely different mail servers. No idea if you ever got any of the messages. If you'd like the full text of the failure message, let me know. Thanks.

3. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    yeah, the bouncing should be corrected. It was a problem with one of the email addresses that were in he distribution list. I should have gotten them all despite the bounces.

arn

4. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Good to know. Thanks, arn.

5. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    arn, I just want to say a big thank you for providing touchArcade.com, reviewing games and generally doing a whole heap to help devs spread the word about their games.

I think we all really appreciate all the hard work you're putting in.

6. anadin

anadin Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Games Producer
    Melbourne, Australia
    I completely agree - I have watched toucharcade since before the store was here and it has been invaluable and a fantastic example of this type of site, great focus, impartial, good community, we find it very useful and I for one am looking forward to participating more in the future. Can I suggest you make this thread or at least the first post a sticky?

7. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    I agree with what they're saying. :p

8. mjjw

mjjw Member

Sep 20, 2008
    UK
    Do you have any criteria for which apps you feature / review or is it just based on which Apps you guys enjoy playing the most?

9. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    There's no hard and fast rule.

Here's how it goes.

- Big name apps, like Spore or Star Wars will obviously get reviewed due to the interest surrounding it. These will probably push off other reviews or games.
    - We likely consider reviewing the more expensive games, even less well known because good or bad, the review can be helpful due to the cost.
    - We tend to also get a lot of the smaller/cheaper unknown games, but unless we actually like them, are unlikely to write up a review for it. It's usually not worth pointing out a cheap/unknown app just to say we didn't like it.
    - We also try to mix up genres. A puzzle game is going to be harder to get our attention because of the sheer number of them. Apps that are relatively new or alone in their genres tend to draw attention.
    - Apps that have looked interesting in preview and we've covered we'll generally review.
    - Developer submissions help narrow down apps a lot, and of course screenshots/videos help catch our eye too.
    - Of course, we tend to notice those that participate in the forums. :)
    - I really feel like we're a bit behind, in that it's been a busy week or two, so I'm very behind in the emailed submissions.

And Blake has a retro fetish in case you haven't noticed, so those will get covered. :)

arn

10. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Not listed, but I'm assuming standard procedure in that email would be to send the promo code for the game too?

11. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    Sure, promo code helps. I put an effort to try every game we get a promo code for, but in practice, I get behind.

arn

12. schooze

schooze Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Not to go off topic but is your game anything like Trism, when does it come out?

13. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Don't mess with the retro fetish. I love retro games. Best kind. Which is why emulators pwn 99% of the games on the App Store.

;)

14. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I've noticed this about blake myself:) but I also know that if Blake chimes in on a game, it's usually pretty good. I would have never found vector blaster were it not for him:D

15. InsolentDreams

InsolentDreams Well-Known Member

New problem with email [email protected]...?

I just got a bounce/error when sending in our tip... it is summarized as follows... please take a look at what's wrong, maybe this was only temporary or maybe you haven't received mail for awhile? :)

Let me know when its fixed, so I can send in our tip! ;)

----------------

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

pipe to |/usr/bin/php /home/toucharc/emailtoforum.php
    generated by [email protected]
    (ultimately generated from [email protected])

The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

------ pipe to |/usr/bin/php /home/toucharc/emailtoforum.php
    (ultimately generated from [email protected]) ------

PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/apc.so' - /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/apc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
    X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.9
    Content-type: text/html

(then my message was omitted from here...)

16. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    The error should be fixed, and it shouldn't have affected delivery for emails (which are sent to a few email addresses). But I didn't see one from "InsolentDreams" so feel free to re-email.

sorry
    arn

17. InsolentDreams

Nope, still having problems...

Just tried to re-send this "tip" in, our game comes out tomorrow... got this bounce...

----------

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

pipe to |/usr/bin/php /home/toucharc/emailtoforum.php
    (ultimately generated from [email protected])

The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

------ pipe to |/usr/bin/php /home/toucharc/emailtoforum.php
    (ultimately generated from [email protected]) ------

PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/apc.so' - /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/apc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
    X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.9
    Content-type: text/html

INSERT INTO vb_thread
    (title, lastpost, forumid, open, replycount, postusername, postuserid, lastposter, dateline, iconid, visible,
    attach, similar)
    VALUES
    ('Tips: Regarding our new iPhone app, iTrade...', 1241091835, 14, 1, 0, 'TouchArcade.com', 10868,
    'TouchArcade.com', 1241091835, 0, 1, 0, ''): 1<P>
    INSERT INTO vb_post
    (threadid, parentid, title, username, userid, dateline, pagetext, allowsmilie, showsignature, ipaddress, iconid,
    visible, attach)
    VALUES
    (10785, 0, 'Tips: Regarding our new iPhone app, iTrade...', 'TouchArcade.com', 10868, 1241091835, '--Apple-Mail-271-791616297
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset=US-ASCII;
    format=flowed;
    delsp=yes
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

And yes, this is about our new iPhone app iTrade (link in sig) and the pr brief is at http://nerdtrade.com/pr/

I am linking here because well, email clearly isn't working.

Cheers

18. InsolentDreams

If you want help testing it...

If you want help testing and debugging this, I'd be glad to re-mail you anytime... email me at andrew [at] neonsurge [dot] com.

Cheers!

19. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    hah.... I was debugging it this afternoon. Last time, I'm pretty sure it's fixed. Please try again and let me know if not.

arn

20. InsolentDreams

Great, seems I didn't get a bounce this time. I'll send in my tip now!

Thanks!