Do I need an Iphone?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by CaliberFX, May 17, 2009.

1. CaliberFX

CaliberFX New Member

May 17, 2009
    Hi,

I was thinking of making my first game for the apple iphone/ipod touch. I was just wondering do I really need to go out and purchase an iphone or can I use the ipod touch? Was thinking about just using the ipod touch as my platform to make games for the iphone and touch.

Also will I be limited in any way, developing wise by using the touch instead of the iphone?

Thanks any information is appreciated.

2. Shocked

Shocked Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    I don't see why you would need an iPhone. as long as you have a few beta testers, i think you'd be fine.

The only thing psychially would be lack of mic for anything using blowing or a camera involvement..

I'm not a devolper, so don't take me like I'm the book of truth..

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

A touch is fine as long as you don't need the missing elements (camera, vibrate, etc.). But keep in mind the 2G touch is the fastest device. So if your game runs just barely fast enough on it, it will be too slow on everything else. It's better to either get a 1G touch, or make sure the game is always more than fast enough, so it can run on slower devices and still be OK.

--Eric

4. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I agree. You can easily develope with the touch so long as you don't need to test the camera, mic, or the vibrate. Also, you will need a mac, so I hope you have one!

5. Actually, doesn't the mic in a headphone remote on the touch work in the same way? Do games in the app store account for that with the 2G touch yet?

As for the speed, I agree. I have a 2G touch and my game (not trying to plug it here guys) runs super-smooth. Yet my friend has it on his 1G touch and there is a definite drop in framerate. Luckily, it is still fast enough to enjoy the game, although he probably has the advantage of a lower difficulty now because of it.

6. CaliberFX

CaliberFX New Member

May 17, 2009
    Thanks for all the help guys.

I guess I'll use the touch for now. Hmm I wonder if it'll also work on an unlock iphone or jailbreak Touch.

I didn't know we also needed a mac to develope for the iphone/touch so thanks for that information as well.

I dont have a mac right now so I guess I have some time to read the SDK or something before I can get one.

Thanks again.

7. Shocked

Shocked Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    2G Touch is the fastest? Coolio.

Anyways, yeah you need a mac. A mini is 600$ and I think that's the cheapest it gets.

8. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Actually, it is possible to code for the iPhone mic and forget to add the Touch mic. There a few extra lines of code that allows you to use both.

9. Sully

Sully Member

May 14, 2009
    You don't NEED a mac, you need a MACOS. Although the work around can be a little bit complicated, it is most certainly more cost effective.

I am developing on a Windows machine right now using VMWare and MACOS X.

That's all I am going to say.

10. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Lol. Yea, it's possible to do that, but not effective. You can make a Hackint0sh, or you can actually get the beautiful hardware that Macs are, and the beautiful software that make "It just works". For some reason, I actually think that WWDC COULD bring an SDK for Windows. It would be great for the App Store, but lose a selling point for Macs. I heard that Mac Mini sales have quadrupled since the SDK was released.

11. Eric5h5

The EULA for OS X says you can't run it on anything other than Apple hardware. It's usually not against the law to break EULAs depending on where you live, but I doubt Apple is too keen on developers who won't abide by license agreements. If they find out, your developer account is probably toast; by contract they can cancel it at any time for any reason. Is it worth the risk just to save a bit of cash?

There won't be any SDK for Windows...the process is just way too tightly coupled to OS X, and they don't really have the staff to handle the number of developers as it is. Do we want to see approval time for apps stretch out to months? ;)

--Eric

12. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Well........if you use VMware it's technically not against the law.

If you want to make sure you're not against the law go buy one of those open source computers that run Mac OS X. What's their name?

13. Eric5h5

It's still technically against the EULA. I'm not talking about the law here, because that varies from place to place.

The one that Apple is suing? ;) Also, it's still violating the EULA. For the average Joe that's one thing. For a developer I think it's more important.

--Eric

14. Sully

Sully Member

May 14, 2009
    don't get me wrong, I plan on purchasing a mini mac, but for the time being I don't have the cash to pony up for one. Although I do get a decent discount for working at AT&T, i think i can get one for like 515$ USD =P

For now though, its working 100% fine on VMWare =D

15. spamboy

spamboy Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    That's a great idea! I've been looking into developing with a friend, and as I don't have a Mac I've been trying to get a Hackintosh working, with no success. :\

VMware might be the way to go though! Please post back here if you are able to go through Apple's review process with your app (if/when it is released) with a VMware-running PC!

16. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    do you mind sending me a pm with instructions on how to get Mac OS X running with VMWare?:eek:

17. shodanng

shodanng Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I just want to know, if you have paid US$99 for publishing app on App Store, would you still test your app in real iphone (instead of emulator) in VMWare Mac OS X or Hackintosh:confused:

Thanks!!:)

18. shodanng

shodanng Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    If you want to have a success in Hackintosh, I suggest you try Deneb Mac OS X, it's much easier to set up than other version of Hackintosh OSX. There are many successful tutorial on installing Deneb on internet, you just need to search suitable keywords in Google. Depending on your hardware, you may have some little problems at first, but it's not too difficult to solve them actually with Google. :cool:

Of Course, VMware is a good solution too.

19. JavierDavalos

JavierDavalos Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    You absolutely need an iPhone if you are serious about what you are doing.

The number one reason is performance, the simulator is MUCHHHH faster than the real device. So you might release a product that you think runs smoothly when it really is a slideshow.

You also need it if you want to support multiple touches since the simulator doesn't simulate many fingers well at all.

And also of course you need it for the accelerometer if you decide to use it.

20. We're straying off the path a little here. The original question was asking if he is ok to use a Touch, or would he need an iPhone:

"I was just wondering do I really need to go out and purchase an iphone or can I use the ipod touch? Was thinking about just using the ipod touch as my platform to make games for the iphone and touch."

Of course the real devices are always going to be better than the simulator- I had first hand experience (my game ran perfectly on the simulator, but was as slow as a snail and crashed every 10 seconds when I first installed it on my Touch).