Final Fantasy III by Square Enix

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by yodaliu, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodaliu

yodaliu Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Student
  2. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    FF3 for iPhone? Really? Will it be the a ported version of the Nintendo DS one? That's more surprising news to me than FFT coming out in the spring (which was already established back in December I think).

Thanks.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #3 undeadcow, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
    Please don't let them release FF3 on iOS or my wife will definitely leave me then (but I wouldn't even look up from my ipod to notice)...

4. Meh, I didn't really like FFIII on the DS. Why not FFIV or VI? =/

5. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    They are face-lifting FF IV for PsP, aren't they? Maybe it will make it's way to iOS eventually.

6. Square Enix remade FFIV for the DS. I'd rather see that version. :p

7. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    #7 MystikSun, Feb 20, 2011
    Maybe they're trying to release them in order? Well, by number anyway xD

8. DopyG

DopyG Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    FF III is gonna be the dope :D

FF IV would be more dope...

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #9 undeadcow, Feb 20, 2011
    Oh... please stricken my earlier enthusiam from the thread as I mistook FFVI (which was released as FFIII on SNES) for the game rumored to be released. FFVI is the ultimate FF, there can be no others. If FFVI were to get a formal iOS release I'm certain the world would end the next day. FFVI is the game that destroyed my childhood.

[​IMG]

10. Andiron

Oct 14, 2010
    #10 Andiron, Feb 20, 2011
    Since there's so much discussion now in this FFT thread on the possible release of a FF3 release based on Yadliu's post should someone be opening a new thread on FF3? I only have the time right now to post here real quick rather than opening a new thread properly or I would. I don't understand Japanese so can't tell if what Yodaliu is referencing is more of a rumour in that Japanese magazine or what. If its not just a rumour then I sure would like for a more major news site (like TA) to maybe look into this if at all possible. But if its true then I think my comments/questions/theories are:

1) Seeing as how FF1, FF2, and FFT (still in the works) are all ports of revised/updated editions of the games from the PSP, what does it mean for FF3? Speaking of ports, FF4 and FF3 were heavily revised (3D models, etc) for the Nintendo DS, however an additional "revised" version of FF4 was released recently for the PSP but it was more like the updated versions of FF1 and FF2 over there, so no 3D models. I was kind of surprised myself to see that SquareEnix would bother with a separate type of revision to the game but perhaps Nintendo has some ownership for the polygoned versions of FF3 and FF4.

2) So, my guess it that it is probably that we will be getting a port of FF3 on the iOS. However, seeing as how I don't think we've gotten a single port of anything released on the DS then it seems likely that this would be a revised edition of FF3 released on iOS similarly to how FF4 got revised sprites, etc for the PSP.

3) Speaking of Secret of Mana, as far as I know, the iOS port of that game was somewhat original, meaning it wasn't ported from either the DS or the PSP and it was somewhat revised for iOS. So, since the only current revision of FF3 that I'm aware of exists on the DS then my guess is that this new version of FF3 on iOS will be similar to the iOS ports of FF1 and FF2 - that is, no 3D models, updates to sprites instead, etc.

Anyway, those are my rambling thoughts on this topic. And now that I spent so much time writing all of this I could have just opened a new forum thread... ;)

EDIT: I just posted in this URL about this - didn't feel like opening up a new thread just for this. This other thread was wondering about additional FF ports.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=1597757#post1597757

11. Andiron

Oct 14, 2010
    My thanks to whichever mod opened this in its own thread!

Now to just wait and see if this ends up being true or not... :) I'm hoping its true *and* its the DS 3D model version...

12. spyky

spyky Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    FF3 and 5 where always my favorites in the series. I'm so glad 3 is coming out. And why not? It's the best NES FF!

13. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    God I hope it's a port of the DS version

14. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

+1
    I would much rather see the DS's refined version, with excellent 3D graphics, and additional content.

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

+1 to that! :)

16. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    My thoughts exactly. But then again, I would've preferred almost anything over I+II. I have the feeling SE is going to release the less desirable stuff first, for a reason.

17. Andiron

Oct 14, 2010
    Hopefully one of those reasons (besides making money on them of course) is for their teams to get practice with the iOS ports, touch controls, etc. I'm okay with the "less desirable stuff first" so long as it means better ports for the more desirable stuff...

18. sushibox

sushibox Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    #18 sushibox, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    Final Fantasy 6 was always my favorite (FF3 in the US). But if 3 (FF3 in Japan) came out, I'd crap my pants. Especially since it's always been so hard to find a legit english-translated copy of it before it was rebooted for the DS. That was the first real solid appearance of the modern job system. And though they had "classes" in a lot of the games, the whole FFV/Tactics job system were sharpened from the FF3 job system.

Aaah nostalgia. How I love thee.

19. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I agree. I'm also thinking that they were testing the waters with FF1/2 and the fact that they've now ported SoM and are in the process of porting FFT is that they've decided it's worthwhile. So I think we'll start to see better stuff slowly, but after some of the older games first. Of course, that's not going to stop me from buying all of them.

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    That's the DS Final Fantasy III version logo on that scan.
    Guess they'll port this to iOS instead of the old NES version.