iPhone 2G Peer To Peer

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by makeout, Jun 27, 2009.

1. makeout

makeout Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Yesterday I was going to start implementing bluetooth peer-to-peer in my game. To my surprise, I found out bluetooth peer-to-peer doesn't work on the iPhone 2g.

Now this is my rant... Clearly the iPhone 2g has what it takes to support such a feature. Now not only as an indie dev will I have to buy a new iPhone. What is even more appalling is the fact that by doing this, they are dividing the app store market needlessly.

2. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    From what I recall, they did announce this in WWDC that 2G will not support the function. So I guess that is the case now.

3. makeout

makeout Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    yeah it probably was.
    Must've missed it. It just seemed like a no brainer to include p2p bluetooth on the 2g.

4. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    I only saw it and it says that only the 1G iPod Touch can't support it. 0.o and also heard that from engadget too.

5. jasonc23

jasonc23 Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I saw that too, im so annoyed at apple. Gimme video, voice control and peer to peer bluetooth!!!!!!!

6. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
  7. My understanding is that the Bluetooth chip in the first generation hardware lacks the needed features to support peer-to-peer. There are other Bluetooth features missing from gen 1 as well (such as A2DP).