Republique (story driven stealth game by Camouflaj Studios, founded by Ryan Payton)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#61 Sanuku, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
    Why waste the Money?

Release a footage of someone playing it on a New iPad, put it up on your YouTube Channel, post the Link on Kickstarter and announce that you Guys are releasing a Android/PC Version too and you should have the 500.000 in less then a few Days.

I still don`t understand why you are limiting yourself to only the iOS Platform at the current Point when this Title is clearly a Multi-Platform One.

Besides that:

Who is the other Investor who is willing to pay those other $500.000? Microsoft? SCEA? Nintendo? Google? :D

2. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

You didn`t understand it at all. He isn`t against the the Developer itself. He and the other Boys have mentioned it already enough Times on the Website, on the last Podcast and like a Million Times on the Forum itself why they did stop supporting Kickstarter.

The Best would be if you listening to the last Podcast then you will hopefully understand that it has nothing to do with Camouflaj Studios or with Ryan Payton.

Sidenote:

Keep that shitty Gameloft Talk out of this Topic. It has absolutely no Connection to this Topic at any Point.

3. So what's the reason? I totally understand the risk after asking some questions but it sounds like Eli actually had a personal problem with site beyond philosophical differences. Not judgin' or nuthin....

4. novery

novery Member

Apr 13, 2012
    We're working on a number of things you have suggested : ) The PC version, however, is not something we're going to announce during this campaign. We love that people want the game on PC though! Seeing that response has put smiles on our faces.

I think the challenge for us that we realized that Republique's gameplay and story is so intrinsically tied to portable, touch-based devices that we would be doing gamers a disservice if we just straight-up ported the game to PC. Republique is not a dual-analog game, it's not mouse-and-keyboard, it's not point-and-click...

With that said, we desperately want to make a PC/Mac version down the road, and we know that will require a lot of work because we believe strongly in making the right game for the right platform. So first priority is making this the best game you've ever played on iOS and not bifurcating our focus.

Haha, no secret investor or anything. We've just been lucky enough to have been introduced to a number of private investors in the Seattle area who have offered to pony up the 2nd half of the funding if we secure the first. Us securing money through Kickstarter is a very powerful message to investors because it validates your game vision.

We're living in a very interesting world...

5. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Graphically it looks pretty incredible but ..

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,860/

eXperience 112 shares the same concept/game play and once the novelty wore off it became a real chore to struggle to the end.

This looks much more fast paced though.. it will probably be a great experience playing it on my iPad2.

6. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Is this going to be a traditional stealth based game? Ie is it entirely trial and error based like Splinter Cell?

7. Kerrby

Kerrby Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Australia
    From Hodapp:

"The dude who is trying to soak up half a million dollars for Republique now wants to fly to Chicago to prove the project isn't vaporware.
    I'm not sure what that proves other than this $500k would be hilariously mismanaged if they have the budget for things like that."

Yeah he totally has nothing against the project...

The Gameloft talk stays because it puts his priorities into perspective, this site is a joke.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What was the last Gameloft game we even posted about on any level higher than including their games in our Wednesday night release roundup?

9. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    This game looks very ambitious. I'll keep an eye on it.

10. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Good luck bro. GOOD LUCK!

11. eastblue

eastblue Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Wow

Wow~! very exciting!! :)

12. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Yep, that's how they're able to get on Times' Top 50 Best Websites of 2011 list.

And if Hodapp or any others do or do not have something against the devs of Republique, who cares? It's their opinion. I don't like you, that's my opinion. You think you can change my opinion? And btw, why do you give a shit? Why are you even on this site if you think it's a joke?!?

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I don't have anything against this project, I'm just tired of Kickstarter.

14. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#74 Sanuku, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  15. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I heard your thoughts on the TA podcast. I completely agree.

Sorry, but $500k is a bit ridiculous for an iOS game.

16. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Real Racing 2 costed 4 times that much at release and probably more by now (with all the updates)...

however they actually had the money or atleast didn't ask for money from us.

17. JRavey

JRavey Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time coming up with an excuse to help established companies and individuals who don't believe in their own product enough to put their own assets at risk.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I think the accepted excuse is "a 'free' t-shirt."

19. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #79 cplr, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
    A good 90% of the internet doesn't understand how much money the things they like cost to make (specifically talking software here). $500k is nothing for a game like this. Sure you can get by without much money if you are a lone developer still living with your parents. But in this game's case, we are talking a big team making a big game. A game which has a tentative release date of June 2013, which is more than a year salary for all the employees. Professionals who deserve money for their work.

Anyway regarding the idea of Kickstarter, I am getting sick and bored of it, too. But I still continue to donate to projects I want to see because I still want to support certain things, such as this one. Everyone is complaining about the $500k, and about Kickstarter, but they are really missing the big picture here: If you want to see this game get made by a developer who has experienced people (and could therefore most definitely deliver), then put up some of your cash. If they don't get the full funding, then the game might not get made. You won't get charged if it's not funded, and it's not like they are going to steal your money - they promise a copy of the game at the end (read their FAQ, they have spoken with Apple about the "right" way to do this).

So while I understand Kickstarter fatigue, I don't think it should get in the way of deciding what projects to support. It's just a means to an end.

20. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Some people do. The lead for Wasteland 2 put up $100k out of his pocket for his KS project.