Games with the best battery life

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stringbean, May 2, 2010.

1. Stringbean

Stringbean Member

May 2, 2010
    Hey everyone! First time poster here. Just wondering which games you have that don't drain your battery quickly. I play with medium brightness and the sound off because I usually play at work and would like to have some power later.

Plants vs. Zombies absolutely kills the battery even with the brightness at its lowest while Chaos Rings allows me to play for a few hours with no worries. If you know other games that are energy efficient any information would be greatly appreciated as I'm about to take a long flight and I'm not a movie person.

BTW right now I'm playing Angry Birds, Jet Car Stunts, Espgaluda II, Minigore, GTA: CW, Spider, Beat It, Freaking Inkies and a handful of other games plus the ones mentioned above.

Thanks!

2. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    how does a game like chaos rings use less battery than PvZ

3. Stringbean

Stringbean Member

May 2, 2010
    Not sure but after a few levels of PvZ I'll lose up to fifty percent of my battery while after a couple hours with Chaos Rings I'll lose about twenty percent.
    I think it has something to do with how much action there is on the screen.

4. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    hmm. Just thought a game with such graphics would suck up more power

5. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Less animation. Gta- power vampire.

6. Cifuang

Cifuang Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Yeah I just realized CR doesn't have a lot of animation and the pre-rend bg helps a lot :eek:

7. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Battle for Wesnoth, Sword of Fargoal,Tilt to Live, Theseus, The Quest, PathPix, Crosswords, Abca, Geared, Chain Link Pro.

Those are my go-to games when I'm in a situation where I need to milk the battery life on my iPhone.I'm sure there are others, but those are all good. In general, avoid games with online aspects, and disable OpenFeint and similar services if you're trying to get better battery life. Don't assume that just because something's not flashy that it's light on battery either, Puzzle Quest chugs power with the best of them, as does Hook Champ. Neither of those holds a candle to the battery hog that is ESPGaluda II though...

8. jen12323

jen12323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Sword of Fargoal uses up my battery like no other. I play a few rooms and am down to 40% battery.

For me, games like Popcap's "bookworm" can last longer. most of the 1-finger games in general last longer.

9. Stringbean

Stringbean Member

May 2, 2010
    Yeah Espgaluda is a battery assassin. Pretty much only play it when I'm near a power source. Thanks for the suggestions. Haven't even heard of most of those games and they look pretty fun. Just downloaded Battle for Wesnoth. Only 99 cents! 

10. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    Turn off "Max Framerate" under the options menu. Should reduce battery consumption pretty significantly.

11. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Space Miner is great, got a 6-hour play session (hopelessly addicted when I first got it) and it only dropped me to 20%

12. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    Space Miner is surprisingly easy on battery life. I'm not sure how it is with the new pixel shaders though...

13. seang

seang Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    try to beat the impossible game on the flight.... its a one touch game so it shouldnt take up much battery..

i dare you:)

14. krisko6

krisko6 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    College Student, Intern at an engineering company.
    Bakersfield, CA
    I never thought about this before.
    I'll say Doodle Jump

15. Stringbean

Stringbean Member

May 2, 2010
    I do have Space Miner and I haven't played it that much yet so that might be the one but I'm kind of into Battle for Wesnoth. Not sure if the update effected the battery life for Space Miner.

Sorry but The Impossible Game isn't really my type of game nor is Doodle Jump. Doodle Jump frustrates me so I cannot imagine what kind of anneurysm The Impossible Game would give me but thanks for the suggestions. If it was a double dog dare though I might have to do it 

16. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    Tilt to live is really fun, and on average I can play for an hour and still have 94% battery

17. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Baseball Superstars 2010 lasts an incredibly long time for me

18. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Vector Rally is very easy on batteries, if you like racing puzzles of course. :)