Does story matter in a fighting game?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Rusty Cohle, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Rusty Cohle

Rusty Cohle Active Member

Feb 28, 2014
    #1 Rusty Cohle, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    I have been working on a fighting game for almost a year now. And I've grown playing tekken and Mortal Kombat and somehow I feel MK has the best storyline for a fighting game. I might be wrong what do you guys think for a real sick storyline for a fighting game.

We're planning to get this one on Mobile soon. But still contemplating on having a Muay Thai theme or should it just have a generic fighting theme ?

I think many of the fighting fans are slowly getting familiar with the Muay Thai fighting style but still I'm sitting on the fence on this one.

Here are some screenshots. Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub3Yiw7ERlU

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I'm a fighter fanatic. I don't think a story really matters, at least to me it doesn't. Unless we are talking about the classics like Street Fighter and MK. They were a series of games. Unless you plan on making it a series I don't think it matters. Those games were all about the mythology of the continuous series. To me a fighter especially on ios needs to focus on the core fighting mechanics, cool special moves, and well balanced gameplay with great controls.

3. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    I like a good story mode. It makes the charecters feel more real and esthablishes their reasons for fighting.
    Even just a blurb here and there, its the effort that counts.

4. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    What really matters in a fighting game for mobile in particular is simplicity. Using swipe gestures got moves will work great. If you get the controls right, story comes second. They story can be cheesy, no big deal IMO

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    At the end of the day how many people here know the 'story' to Mortal Kombat or Tekken etc ?

I dont remember at all, just remember having a great time fighting against the computer or friends. As others have said as its a fighting game i wouldnt go too OTT about the story. Its all about the controls

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'm with coolpepper on this. If you're planning on making a series of games, you might want to think of adding even the slightest bit of a storyline which you could flesh out as time goes on. If not, meh...don't bother.

As for psj's post about people knowing the story of Mortal Kombat, for example? Well, Mortal Kombat specifically is a totally different beast since you have to take into consideration the movies, TV series and even Shaolin Monks and Mortal Kombat (9)...the latter especially, which proved that yes, story does matter. While the same could be said for Street Fighter, the games haven't really taken a cinematic turn yet.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    When i played Mortal Kombat back in the 90's (or now) i didnt know anything about the story, just started it up, two player game from the menu and fight fight fight.

Granted there was a film afterwards but when the game first came out before anything else no one cared about a storyline or that

Look at Double Dragon, a very short intro where you see an animation of your girlfriend getting punched (!) and then taken away, that was it

8. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Character background, history and personality is probably more important than story. Nothing too verbose, just something that fleshes out the uniqueness of each character.

9. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I always like the fact that each character has a different ending makes it worth playing each of them at least once while it isn't the meat of a combat game to me it's a pretty important part for singleplayer.

Another thing the Street Fighter franchise does well is changing the ending depending on how well you do just as an example watching SF2 in the Arcades people can tell you won without losing a round by the type of ending credits and music you get.

10. Rusty Cohle

Rusty Cohle Active Member

Feb 28, 2014
    #10 Rusty Cohle, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Thanks guys! Actually I do agree with most of you'll. Being a big Mortal Kombat fan I don't think I've come across a story for a fighting game which is as good as that. Though Tekken and Street Fighter are legendary, more character centric and visually appealing probably which is why story becomes secondary.

I'm planning on having 10 characters at least for the 1st alpha version (that is whenever we are able to get this game out! :eek:) Also for now what I'm using is motion capture, it's gonna be a challenge to get all other 8 characters who'll have distinct fighting style.

Any suggestions for some bad ass characters, let me know! Would love to work on some prototypes. :)

11. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Heads up: Massive amount of text behind the spoiler tag.

Name: Donny Uwais
    Job: A Swat Team Member from New York.
    Style: Lucha Libre, with Silat influence
    Backstory: Donny grew up as a first generation national to a family of Indonesian immigrants. When he was a kid, Donny would watch the matches of El Santo as well as his many films. Donny resolved to emulate the icon and learn wrestling. He would visit a gym where there was a former luchador who was more than happy to teach him the ways of the ring. Developing a sense of justice after finding out that
    his father fled Jakrata to escape a rival crime boss' threat to rub him and his family out in a full blown turf war. Donny decided to travel to Jakrata and become and officer in order to make due on his family's mistakes. Faced with a blood fued and a corrupt preicent , Donny had to learn a bit of Silat. Armed with this combined knowledge and skill , resolving to fix the errors his father made , Donny fights on to free Jakrata from the crime lords who now rule it.

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #12 undeadcow, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Maybe this is off topic... but I remember that awesomely campy Street Fighter movie. I guess that shows how well the story with these brawlers holds up when you remove the gameplay. The character backgrounds were always amusing though.

[​IMG]

13. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I was a huge Street fighter 2 fan and the only thing I could stand about that movie was looking at kylie the Street Fighter 2 animation movies were a good bit better though and I really don't usually watch those things.