iPhone Astro Duel (by Rusty Moyher)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Rusty, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Working on a quick update. Here's what I have so far for 1.0.1:

Improved Random Level Algorithm. Random levels are now picked in a randomized "Round Robin" fashion.

2. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    (Let me preface this comment with an apology for not reading the thread in its entirety, if the answer is here somewhere. I did scan it, but saw no mention of it.)

@Rusty - Is there a single player mode, Is there online multiplayer, or is the game strictly single-device multi-player? I rarely play single device multi player games on my iPad, so that is the only thing that's kept me from buying this.
    I absolutely LOVE Box Cat and Shaaark, so I will buy this if there is any way to enjoy it without another player sitting beside me.

3. Neddy F

Neddy F Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    This is primarily a same screen multiplayer game, you can however have up to three bots on. I have played it like this and it is still good fun, but there is no progression - it is literally the multiplayer game with bots.

Online multiplayer would be good, but not as fun as local I feel!

4. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Just wanted to chime in here to let the developer know that I absolutely love this game!

It's a blast with family and friends, the perfect same device multiplayer game!

Thank you.

5. barryweiser

barryweiser Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Totally loving the game. Just played against my wife, and it was quite the intense battle.

I would love to see online multiplayer, as well. I don't always have people around who want to play...

Also, I don't have any sound during the game. Tried toggling the options...still dead silence during gameplay.

Any suggestions?

6. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    #27 Rusty, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

That is weird! Try restarting the iPad maybe? Also, make sure it's not muted by bringing up the iOS lower menu:

[​IMG]

7. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    Bouncy walls!

Maze!

River (Okay, this one would be a little iffy maybe, but here's the idea: a force is pushing everyone constantly in one direction... and you can either flow with it, or try to push against it. It would have to wrap around so if you went off the edge of the screen you'd appear on the other side, still in the flow.)

8. barryweiser

Mar 24, 2011
    Thank you!!! Worked like a charm. Soooo much better now with sound.

9. barryweiser

Mar 24, 2011
    Really having a blast with this game! I'm driving my wife crazy every time I take the ipad out. She knows what's to come...hence the need for internet multiplayer!

Can't wait to see what's to come in the future updates!!!

What are some of the possible ideas?

10. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Version 1.0.1 hit the App Store last night:

Improved random level algorithm. Random levels are now picked in a randomized "round-robin" fashion.

Also fixed a bug where screenshake would not work.

11. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009

Version 1.1 is out! Here's the changelog:

New Level Select menu
    New Start Screen animation
    Mines now spin when about to explode
    Winning player must now be alive in the final round to enter Winner's Mini-game
    Updated tutorial fingernail colors
    Version number now visible in Options menu instead of build date

Fixed Laser Beams not being visible when fired on the same frame
    Fixed ships in the scoreboard sometimes breaking the wrong lane
    Fixed rare CPU / Winner's Mini-game crash.
    Fixed hidden characters not showing up in Winner's Mini-game
    Fixed cursor selection being lost in the Player Select menu

[​IMG]

12. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I'm quite excited to announce Astro Duel 1.2 is out! The biggest change is a new game mode:

Pilot Execution Mode

Previously in Astro Duel, the pilots had no effect on gameplay. They were merely helpless survivors. Onlookers on a battle they had already lost. This all changes in Pilot Execution mode. Instead of earning points by shooting down other ships, points are awarded in Pilot Execution mode by shooting or running over enemy pilots.

Pilots also have a means of escape. Each is equipped with a thruster. If you find yourself without a ship, hold down the thrust button to take flight. If you can survive long enough, your ship will respawn!

This totally changes the gameflow. Players shot down now have a second chance. Kills can be stolen. Some of the best Astro Duel moments I’ve witnessed were watching pilots desperately trying to escape as an opponent ship chases them down. At any second they’ll either be run over or revive and perhaps turn the tables.

Additional Changes

- Improved ship, pilot and debris collisions
    - Removed 8 frame firing delay from player ships.
    - Added ship shake during kill freeze
    - Slightly increased kill freeze
    - Increased size of proximity mines
    - Reduced total rounds to win for most game modes
    - Decreased the aim accuracy of easy CPUs

It's out now on the App Store for iPad and Mac.

Hope you like it!

13. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    Can you add AI to iPhone version ? I can't always have a friend around....

14. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Apple TV - Universal Purchase

Hey gang,

Today I released Astro Duel for Apple TV. It's a universal purchase, so if you've previously bought Astro Duel, you'll get the Apple TV version for free! Here's all the changes inside the box:

Added support for Apple TV
    - Pilot ships using the Siri Remote, iOS game controllers or with the Astro Remote app
    - Created an Astro Remote app for iPhone and iPod Touch

Updated the Teams menu for Apple TV
    - First human players select teams
    - Then computer players are assigned teams with the cursor

Added widescreen support.
    Added a new Wild Rooster intro screen
    Added a control map. Displayed in the Options menu and before starting a game.

Updated the text on the ammo tutorial
    Fixed a rare overtime music bug
    Fixed the Auto-turret powerup not sending haptic feedback when fired

15. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Astro Duel 2.0

I've been working towards a large Astro Duel update for a while. Early last year Apple started requiring 64-bit support in all app updates. Astro Duel on iPad relied on Joypad, but unfortunately Joypad was never updated with 64-bit support. So Astro Duel was stuck as is.

It's been frustrating. I've wanted to add new features and content, but couldn’t. To fix this, I needed to either remove iPhone controller support or write a new controller app from scratch.

Astro Remote

With the launch of Apple TV, I decided to "bite the bullet" and built Astro Remote, a controller app for the Apple TV version. It took a bit more time, but now I'm finally adding Astro Remote support on iPad. Astro Remote adds widescreen iPhone support, improved connectivity, and visuals+sounds tailored to the game.

[​IMG]

New Features

There's quite a lot of changes and polish. Here are the highlights:

- New Dash ability – Double-tap Thrust to dash forward. Each dash consumes one ammo.
    - Three new maps – includes a bomberman-inspired conveyer belt level that moves in a loop.
    - No Powerup option – Many players requested this. Particularly here for tournaments.
    - Unlimited Dash modifier – Players can now dash without using ammo, but with an increased cooldown.

More details in the changelog.

[​IMG]

Astro Duel 2.0 and the accompanying Astro Remote update are now live! Play on iPad or Apple TV.

I'd love to hear what you think of the update. Enjoy!