Hydron Flux - Space Shooter with Level Editor!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by touchDev192, Dec 7, 2010.

1. touchDev192

touchDev192 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    Hi everyone!

I'd like to announce my second game, Hydron Flux, which is hopefully due to be released within the next few days if all goes well!

So the game is a space shooter, which includes 30 main levels to fight your way through! To complete each level, you have to destroy every enemy! This can be done in any order, as the game allows moving sideways as well as up and down, so you can choose which groups of enemies you attack first.

Throughout the main missions, you will earn money which can be spent on upgrades, including different weapons, boosters, health/shield upgrades and more! Most weapons and enemies do most damage to either shields or health (with a few doing damage to both), so it's important to choose the right weapons so you don't become unbalanced!

Along with the normal missions, there are also 3 Defense missions, which each increase in difficulty. For these you will have to defend your planet against oncoming waves of enemies. This will keep on going until the planet is destroyed, and therefore is something that you can improve on over time, and keep playing!

Last but not least, there is a built in level editor, to allow you to create your own missions! However there is no way of sharing these with others just yet! (its something that I want to look into if I get enough interest!)

(the method of control is tilt based!)

A Summary of the Features:

• 30 Main Missions to fight your way through.
    • 8 Different enemies, and 4 Boss enemies to overcome.
    • Many different upgrades, from Torpedo's, to Shockwave Generators and the mighty Vortex Manipulator!
    • Defense Mode! Set after the events of the game, you must defend your planet, and stop the enemy acquiring planetary shielding technology!
    • Unlimited waves in Defense Mode, so see how long you can last!
    • Online leaderboards using Open Feint.
    • Stats Page, for viewing statistics such as hit rate, and enemies killed etc.
    • Achievements, both online and offline.
    • Built in Level Editor for creating your own levels, with control over many different settings. (no sharing yet!)
    • Integrated with PlayHaven.

More information can be found on the game website here:
    Hydron Flux Website

2. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Good luck ;)

3. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Always wanted to fly a White Star in a game. Are the enemies from B5 as well? Do you have plans to add more enemies in the future? 8 doesn't seem like a lot.

4. touchDev192

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    Thanks FPE!

No this game isn't related to B5, its simply the model I chose to use for my ship (I'm not much of an artist, so try to get models from places such as turbo squid!)

I do however have plans to add more enemies in the future, as well as more weapons, upgrades, game types and missions, and as such have coded the game in a way to make this very easy to do!

Keep in mind there is also another 4 boss type enemies, which are used more on the later levels... and these aren't what you might normally think of as bosses, they are simply larger, and harder to defeat then the normal enemies, and so are used a lot less then normal enemies, but probably used a lot more than bosses in other games!!

5. touchDev192

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    #5 touchDev192, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
    In fact, until you mentioned it, I wasn't aware this was a ship used in B5, as its not something that I've ever watched! Hopefully this won't be a problem! (I obviously didn't pay enough attention when I was looking for models, but it says its standard royalty free, so I don't think its a problem!)

I'd also like to note that I will be releasing the game at a starting price of $0.99 for 1 day, and then going up to $1.99!

6. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Looks interesting, especially with the inclusion of a level editor.

What I'm curious though, is how the movement works since the control is tilt based. The video reminds me a lot of Space Miner, but SM uses a momentum and directional thruster style of touch control. I guess I'll have to wait and try a Lite or something.

7. touchDev192

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    Well basically movement is constant, you have no control over starting or stopping etc, so you simply have to tilt to control which direction you start moving in. And yes since it uses momentum, to turn around, the ship needs to quickly slow down first and then speed up in the new direction, but this is all done automatically, so all you have to do is tilt in the direction you want to go, or in the direction you want to aim the ship to fire weapons! (the weapons are fired by holding down on the fire button, and then theres up to 3 upgrade buttons to tap to use, and a pickup button if you've collected any pickups!)

8. dansu

dansu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Babylon 5 was a great sci-fi TV series. You owe it to yourself to check it out, especially since you are using one of their nicer ship designs in your game :)

9. touchDev192

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    Haha yea maybe I will... It does look like the sort of thing I'd like, I've just never really got into it!

So anymore thoughts or questions about the game?