iPad Meganoid 2 is NOW LIVE!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by orangepascal, Nov 21, 2012.

1. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I really liked Rick Dangerous 1,2 on Amstrad CPC 6128 but I think that this game deserves a real controller. It's difficult, it's a platform and with the touch controls becomes more difficult.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    So glad this is out !

Think its great, dont think its too evil like Rick Dangerous. Dont agree with Gabrien about the 'unavoidable traps'. You can see a sparkle when theres spikes, you can see bricks moving when youre approaching a place where they'll fall. All standard stuff which has been in platformers for years, if it was random and spikes just appeared without any clue then yeah i would hate it, but its not like that. Its good as 'speed run' fans will have to take their time due to the traps, you cant keep your finger on right and keep jumping trying to get to the end immediately.

As for dying and playing over and over i think its great, whats the point of having 3 lives, going back to the menu only for you to press play again to resume from the same point over and over. Might as well just carry on with infinite lives.

Not finding it too difficult, breezed through the first 7 levels. Loved Meganoid 1 and this is just as good, really like this

3. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I love difficult platformers and usually play them to completion. However I am at level 28 of Meganoid 2 and don't expect to play it anymore. Not because of the challenge, I just wasn't enjoying it. Primarily the gravity is so fast it makes the gameplay feel too chaotic. A couple other notes to the devs:

I think the shaky camera effect when on a temporary platform takes away from the experience more than adds to it. Also give some hint as to where the trophy is on each level. I see no difference in the wall that we can go through. Are we supposed to try every wall? That doesn't sound fun.

4. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

first: it's not a shaky camera, it's a shaky platform ;) and test versions were without shaking but all testers asked for a better hint on what's gonna happen with the platform.. after adding the shaking, they all loved it.

The trophy (as the diamonds in meganoid1) is really there for the more seasoned gamers. Nobody has to grab all diamonds, you can complete all levels without ever grabbing one and still have a massive challenge and enjoyment out of it. But if you like the game enough, and want an extra challenge, try finding and grabbing them all. And in actual Meganoid1 style this is done by trial and error, a formula that worked very well according to the feedback on the first game.

Game designing is always hard, and everybody has ideas on how to do things differently, at the end of the day you either enjoy the game or you don't!

personally I do, and I completed it 4 times already :p (life of a developer is hard!)

For the Gamecenter questions from others: I will be looking into it, but there are no achievements in the other versions (android, bb,html5), and I wanted to make sure the game got on the Appstore before December month hit ;)

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    High scores. That's the point.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #26 psj3809, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    Fair enough, must admit with platformers i just try and complete each level. Same for Sonic/Mario in the past, just want to complete the game rather than trying to get a high score

Read what rbates said about the later levels, cant believe hes on level 28 already ! Is it just me ? I tend to take my time with games, specially when so many get released !

Found Meganoid 1 to be the perfect mix of difficulty, not too easy yet not too hard. Looking forward to playing the later levels (i'll take my time though !).

As Midian says below, people moan when platformers are too easy ! Devs cant win !

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You just listed all of the things that make this game better than 95% of the other moron-friendly platformers on iOS.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Heh...true.

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =oP

On Stage 27 (3 staring every level), and having one hell of a fun time with this. Some of the item placements are just crazy, and I'm guessing (hoping) they get plain brutal towards the end. Completely loving this one!

@ Pascal, were you guys planning on doing the same thing you did with the original? Adding a CRAP LOAD of levels by having different difficulties, or will this be the only playable character available throughout the levels?

10. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    I'm 50% done, and can't help but feel a little disappointed with it compared to the first game. Just going by what I've seen so far, Meganoid almost seems like it would be the sequel, and this the first of the two (amount of levels aside).

I don't know, as is I'm not getting the same polished feel from the first one. Eg. the level select mini-maps being off-center and stars that look rather unimpressive. The relative emptiness of the level select leaves me yearning for multiple characters. Although, I do like that the mini-maps don't have a colored box around them- it looks much cleaner.

Something I noticed on 29: the bat is able to move through the wall when standing up against it at the start. Also, would it be worth while to add silk above spiders?

With that out of the way, I've enjoyed the first half so far, and buying this is definitely worth it. Things are starting to get nice and difficult at this point. The all-too-familiar swearing from the first game has resurfaced for me on levels 28/29 :D so thanks again for the challenging gameplay that I love.

I realize most of my complaints may be related to this just being released, and me being only half done the game. I just don't think it's necessarily an improvement on the original. And this is a super platformer for only $1 currently, and still better than most out there. I'm not sure what updates are planned, but I'm sure they'll be great, and the second half of the current game will only get better and better. Lastly- Game Center!

11. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Game Impressions

I've played almost all the other titles put out by this dev. And in comparison, I feel that Meganoid 2 is a more polished, unique, and put-together experience. Great game for anyone who loves platformers.

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Congrats on the 4/5 from AppSpy, Pascale. :)

13. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    3 starred all the levels. Now I hate bats.

14. Geckodelic

Geckodelic New Member

May 10, 2012
    Where is the trophy in level 7. It's a small level and I've searched every inch!

15. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Go beyond the end of the level you must.

16. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

work on the next 10 levels is on it's way! not sure when they hit the Appstore tho!

also the level select is empty just like it was in Meganoid1 in the early days on Android, by the time it got to the Appstore it already had the two extra modes after months of updating ;)

Plan is to add those extra modes also to this game eventually, but in a slightly different way...

so stay tuned! more stuff is-a-comin!

17. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Great! :D Can't wait!

18. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[thread=119439][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=166865][​IMG][/thread] [thread=163450][​IMG][/thread] [thread=167043][​IMG][/thread] [thread=167010][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=167059][​IMG][/thread] [thread=167047][​IMG][/thread] [thread=166980][​IMG][/thread] [thread=167052][​IMG][/thread] [thread=167053][​IMG][/thread]
    Click on icons to discover more about the games!

[size=+3]Meganoid 2[/size]
    is a nominee for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    21/11/2012
    [/size]

Do you like this sequel to the much acclaimed Meganoid?

[size=+3][thread=167275]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]
    - Devs cannot vote for their own games -

Poll close
    11-29-2012 at 07:05 AM

19. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I was really loving this game until I got to level 21. It's ridiculously difficult. Unless there is some trick I haven't thought of. How the heck do you get past that part with the shots coming from left and right?

20. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Oh damn Meganoid 2! :D