CAT-ACLYSM [Universal]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jonmulcahy, May 14, 2013.

1. jonmulcahy

jonmulcahy Well-Known Member

I've been working on this game for a few months now and it's about 95% done.

These are some teaser images :) on iOS it will be a universal app with gamecenter achievements and leaderboards. It will also be available in the Nook, Amazon and Win8 app stores.

Once I iron a few decisions out I will post a preview video.

Beware the CAT-ACLYSM!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    So is this in the app store or not ? I presume its not as theres no itunes link so i've moved this to upcoming

If it is out let me know and i'll move it

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Not really seeing any gameplay out of the screenshots, but i dig the artstyle.

Tis in the wrong thread though, needs to be in the "Upcoming Games" section.

EDIT: NVM... it's already been moved :D

4. jonmulcahy

oops, my bad. thought I posted in there. gameplay will be coming :)

5. jonmulcahy

now that Must Keep Counting has been released, I've had some time to focus on CAT-ACLYSM again. Over the past Month I've had a few people beta test the game and gotten some great feedback on controls, usability and difficulty, resulting in some better implementations.

Over the past 2 weeks I've restructured the game play to give it more randomness, increase the replay ability and just make it a little more fun.

Some cool facts so far:

It has a real day/night cycle. It is based on a 24 hour clock, and will adjust the sky to fit the real time of day. It's not super accurate to take into account daylight savings or the daylight changes over the course of the year, but based on the local clock it will display dawn, day, dusk and night.

The Sun and the Moon will cross the sky depending on what time of day/night you are playing. Play at Noon or Midnight, and the sun/moon will be high in the sky. Play at Dawn or Dusk, and they will be just over the horizon.

When playing at night, it will display the phase of the moon. It has 10 years worth of data, so it will be correct for some time.

The game tracks all sorts of statistics. Total Points, Highest Score in a level, Play Time, Achievements and more.

Whats Next?

I'm still adding some new features and content, I hope to wrap that up this week before sending another build out to the beta testers.

And here is a teaser game play shot:
    [​IMG]

6. jonmulcahy

Been busy this past week:

-Each level can have 1-3 buildings
    -Added Forest/Mountain/Island levels to the existing city levels
    -Settled on some sound effects
    -Fixed 15 broken buildings
    -Added 6 new buildings

Still do do:
    -Add 10 more buildings
    -Implement sound effects in game
    -Add skins for the space shuttle for players to customize
    -Redesign all the levels to take into account the new landscapes and building types
    -Implement In App Purchase so I can give away the first 5 levels for free (with ads) and then allow players to unlock the other 90+ levels, remove ads, and get a few bonuses

I finally got around to using evernote to sync all my notes. It's been fantastic. No new screenshots today, maybe once I wrap up my current list

7. jonmulcahy

made huge progress last night / on this morning's commute. I added some sound effects and music, still not 100% sure i love it, but its better than silence. I also fleshed out the in app purchase system and implemented it. Right now you can play the first 5 levels for free, with ads showing up on completion of each level, and on the main screen.

You can unlock the game which gives you every level, removes the ads, unlocks achievements, allows you to customize the ship and gives you one mega bomb which will let you clear a level. I think this is a good value :)

I also have 3 consumable purchases, a single mega bomb, a pack of 4 and a pack of 10, for those people who wish to have an easier time of playing.

I now need to figure out how to activate the mega bomb. It has to be easy enough to use, but not so easy you use it accidentally. I have not settled on a method for this too. There is also a bug in the game where after level 5 in the free version it just loops back to level 1 instead of exiting to the menu. I'm planning on making it go to a 'buy me' screen, but i have not created that yet.

Lots too do, not enough time

8. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I'm liking the art and the premise a lot, and look forward to more screenshots and any sort of gameplay video, even alpha/beta stuff. Have you decided on a price for the basic unlock IAP yet, and if so, care to share? :)

9. titanium2013

titanium2013 New Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Looking forward to your new game, I like the cat and clear picture
    Total 90+ level?

10. jonmulcahy

#10 jonmulcahy, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
    AnarKitty - still thinking of the iAP purchase prices. I'll post back once I finalize everything

titanium2013 - There are 10 stages, 9 levels each, 99 total levels.

Another week goes by and another progress report. This was a busy week!

- Implemented the changing of the background based on the levels, an easy job but something I was putting off.
    - Added islands into the mix.
    - Implemented the mega bombs
    - Added 5 other ship types you can choose, for a total of 6
    - Added 22 new buildings
    - Did a lot of testing of the in app purchase code, it seems bug free
    - Tweaked the design of the statistics page
    - Added a 'upgrade' screen for the end of the free version

Right now I'm fixing a few remaining bugs and working on level design. I had previously randomly generated all the levels, but to make the game a little more cohesive I need to design each one manually to prevent island huts in the city, and skyscrapers on an island.

This game is turning into a spiritual successor to Obliteration :) Although, Obliteration II will return!

11. jonmulcahy

Today I put together a landing page for CAT-ACLYSM. This is the first time I've done this for an app, but we'll see how it goes :)

http://www.bewarethecataclysm.com

I also added two additional buildings to the game, including a lighthouse!

12. jonmulcahy

Started really working on level design today taking into account the new buildings and backgrounds, this is a rough pass on all levels. Once that is complete I'll send out a build to beta testers so they can give all the new features a whirl as I fine tune the levels.

13. jonmulcahy

phew, first pass at all 90 levels complete. Already found a few bugs with building placement, and need to tweak some layouts, but I think this is good enough for today. I'll send out a new beta build tonight.

14. jonmulcahy

a new beta build has been sent to testers tonight! This was a huge updated that included everything I've talked about before.

15. jonmulcahy

another week another update.

progress is moving along steadily into a release. It's really down to a short list of known bugs that need to be fixed. this past week I worked on the audio, iAds and iAP was finialized and implemented for the free version, and I settled on how it will break down:

free version:
    • Levels 1-5
    • iAds
    • no customization

iAP Options
    • $1.99 Unlock Full Game w/ Bonus (See below)
    • $.99 1 Mega Bomb
    • $1.99 4 Mega Bombs
    • $2.99 10 Mega Bombs

Full Game Unlock Includes
    • Levels 6-90
    • Custom Ships
    • Game Center Achievements
    • 2 Mega Bombs
    • Removes iAds

I think this is a good tradeoff to unlock the game, you get a lot of good stuff for a small price, and you get to play the first 5 levels of the game for free.

For the custom ships, the game will have 6 different ships you can choose from to play, with bonus ships coming down the road (halloween, christmas, etc).

The Mega Bombs allow you to clear a level if it is too difficult. the bombs have roughly 10x the power of the normal bombs, so one blast and the buildings go flying. they are very effective :) You get two to start when unlocking the game, and can buy more if you want (but they are not necessary to play the game).

That's it for now. Next step is bug fixes, and starting to put together a trailer for the game. if you know of anyone who is good please send me a message!

16. jonmulcahy

the past few days I've reworked some of the artwork, and spent some time redoing a lot of the sound effects. I'm hoping to do the final build tonight and then really put it through it's paces testing and fixing any remaining bugs. I'm planning on submitting to apple this weekend if I can with an late september/early october release. That will give me time to put together a trailer and press releases.

I keep coming up with great ideas for other games too, I wish I had more hours in the day to spend on this :)

17. jonmulcahy

the time has come. beware the cataclysm!

18. jonmulcahy

It's official, the CAT-ACLYSM begins sunday October 13th, 2013.

19. jonmulcahy

I just finished playing through every single level and have a list of about 18 items that I need to fix, adjust or change before I can submit. should take me about an hour to fix all of them, which means tomorrow is submission day!

20. jonmulcahy

and i think it's done! all known bugs have been fixed and tomorrow will be verification day.

I hope this is it!