Price increases in the Japanese AppStore?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Adsinjapan, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    #1 Adsinjapan, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    so I thought I should let the TA people know, it looks like the Japanese AppStore has increased the prices for their apps. I just attempted to buy a couple of games through the links on the TA App at ¥300, only to have the prices display a ¥360 tag instead.
    If anyone else can double check this, that'd be awesome. Wierd effing price shift though.

Edit: So this confirms it

"Apple has announced that it will raise prices on the Japanese App Store within 24 hours due to fluctuations in the exchange rate.

---
    Within 24 hours, prices on the Japanese App Store will increase in response to changes in foreign exchange rates. Active subscriptions won’t be interrupted. We’ll send an email to notify current subscribers that their subscription will be renewed at the new increased price from now on.

Price adjustments on the App Store are sometimes necessary as foreign exchange rates rise and fall. You’ll see the new Pricing Matrix in the Pricing section of My Apps as soon as the new prices take effect.
    ---

Currently, a 0.99USD app costs 100JPY. We'll let you know what Apple adjusts its pricing to. Please follow iClarified on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or RSS for updates."

Taken from the iclarified.com site.

2. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yep, Abenomics at work once again. Ain't it grand? The price of cheese went up, too, and I am none too happy about that.

3. Adsinjapan

Aug 7, 2013
    You live here too Shaun?

I thought it odd that you got to go to Square Enix :p

4. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Great news for me as I live in Japan and I have an App in the Store. And most of my savings is in US Dollars. More bang (yen) for my buck (and game).

5. Adsinjapan

Aug 7, 2013
    Pretty much just the Japanese AppStore for me. :( I have an old Canadian account from when I lived there for a year, so whenever there's a soft launch or a freebie, I switch over.

6. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yeah, I'll be here for life. Got some serious roots here now.

7. Adsinjapan

Aug 7, 2013

Likewise. Though not so much in the way of roots yet. Been here for almost 4 years. Not going any where. Got myself a nice gaming column too.

8. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Where do you guys live? I live near Tachikawa, west of Shinjuku on JR Chuo line. And @adsinjapan...what is your column?

9. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I'm in Koga, Ibaraki. The only station in Ibaraki on the Utsunomiya/Shonan Shinjuku line, yay!

10. Adsinjapan

Aug 7, 2013
    I'm in Kawasaki, on the Odakyu line.

As for my column, not sure if it's cool to say here. Don't want to get told off for cross promotion or something as I work with mostly iOS stuff too.

11. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I'd love to grant you permission, but in the forums I'm just another member, so I can't say for sure, haha.

12. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I don't mind links. I see a lot of people with links in their sigs. Just don't cut and paste articles. Ganbatte!!

13. Adsinjapan

Aug 7, 2013
    Well alright then. I write for Japan Today. My segment is called Commuter Gamer. You can find it in the Tokyo Insight magazine on the Newstand app for iOS. :p