Which iPad model ONLY to play?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by masvil, Jan 4, 2013.

1. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I'm evaluating to buy an used iPad only to play. Which model do you suggest? Of course I'm not interested in 3G connection.

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Get an iPad 4 if you really wanna do some heavy gaming on it.

3. allaricb

allaricb Member

Jan 5, 2013
    if u don't care about price, i think crex really hits the point, no doubt ipad 4 would be the best model

4. Well, there is no doubt about that. But there probably are no used models out there for sale. That's why in this case, the new ipad (3) might be the best option. You might be able to find a used one for up to $300 less than an ipad 4. For that much of a price difference, it is probably worth it. There are only a handful of titles that are optimized for the ipad 4. Out of 6000 games on my new ipad, only one, Nova 3, Seems to run a huge difference right now. Wild blood, nfs most wanted, shadowgun deadzone run really well now on the new ipad after updates.

Try to find a new ipad for $300 less than an ipad 4. But of course, if you want the latest and greatest get the ipad 4 definitely.

5. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Well if you need productivity then you could go ipad 2, but gaming is so much abut processor/ram you need an ipad 4.

6. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I'd say your advice is right-on there. I'd go with that if I was in his situation now for sure.

7. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    The iPad 4 is a nice step up but I must say that I play (and keep most off) my games on the ipad 2 as its 64 gb are filled to the brim and they all run very smooth, theres virtually no game that the ipad 2 runs choppy at this point so if retina display isnt a necessity you certainly could do worst than an ipad 2.

So far the only games Ive had the need to put on the 4 are those who need ios6 to run and while the retina display and bump in performance is great it doesnt take away the more than competent performance of the ipad 2.

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yes but the A5 is getting a tad dated. If money is no object then the iPad 4 will both last the longest and provide a noticeably smoother and prettier gaming experience.

An iPad 2 will probably last you another year before you notice things getting pretty slow.

An iPad 3 is a tad trickier; retina is beautiful but the device is underpowered. You'll typically be getting worse performance than the iPad 2.

An iPad 1 is out of the question, so really it boils down to price and longevity, the iPads 2 & 4: do you want a cheaper model that lacks some features and won't last you as long or do you want to lay down double that amount and get a faster, prettier iPad that'll being the playing field for quite some time?

9. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I care about price, that's the reason why I'm evaluating an used device. My purpose is to use iPad (+ iCade) only for games. I know I'm going to a overpriced solution (if you consider a good console costs half an iPad), so I'd like to to reduce that "over" :)

That's a good point for my needs.

Oh, very useful info!

An used iPad 2 would costs $ 300. A new iPad Retina (4) $ 500. It's just to play games!

10. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    ^^^ Yep, thats why I suggested getting the ipad 2, im sure games in the future will undoubtly phase it out but as off now that hasnt happened. The screen on my ipad 4 is beautiful indeed and it feels faster for sure but as the OP said its a pricier option.

Cant really say anything about the third gen ipad as Ive never used one but I dont think it should have any probelm running most games although maybe not at full retina resolution.

11. #11 Connector, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    The OP said "used", of course the ipad 4 is the best. But really how many used ipad 4's are you going to find out there? Want to sell me yours so I can sell my new ipad to the poster? Then we can all be happy haha :)

I really think the underpowered label is overrated for A5, there is only ONE game that I wish had better framerates on my new ipad, and that is Nova 3. One out of 6000 games. Games like Wild Blood, Asphalt 7, Blood Roofs, NFS Most Wanted, Virtua Tennis, and many others run fine now on the new ipad after some updates. This pretty much carries over to the ipad 2 too. Most games still are made for the A5, and that won't change for probably over a year later when the ipad 5 or even ipad 6 will be out.

The reason why I would pick a "used" ipad 3 over an ipad 2 is the retina screen. It is the number one reason why I have my current ipad now. Also, the ipad 3 has a label of being underpowered and discontinued, but in reality, it functions much better than people think. Even developers are just now starting to figure out how to optimize for it as evidenced by all the new games like wild blood, blood roofs, nfs most wanted, arc squadron playing great on it now.

Developers won't be pushing the boundaries of processor speed now. The ipad 2 and ipad mini are both not discontinued and are A5 based. If the ipad mini had been a6 based, then yeah, I think it would have been a little different in developers wanting to push games more, but for now and for at least a year, I think everything will run just fine. Developers will not risk one star reviews and make sure the games run fine on A5 for now.

Plus there are TONS of rumours of ipad 5 and ipad mini 2 coming out in March. Don't know if they are credible, but if so, the ipad 4 will be dropping in value very soon. It just may well be worth the wait for the poster to see if it does happen and buy an ipad 4 on severe discount at that time, cause right now, I really think it will be hard to find a cheap used ipad 4 right now.

But you are right, for the future, an A6 is much better than the A5 processor. That is no doubt, but I really haven't seen developers pushing the edge yet. While the ipad 3 might have a reputation for being underpowered, I really think the ipad 4 will get a reputation for being neglected by developers and buyers. Everytime I go to the applestore, I see no one at the ipad 4 tables. It really is a shame. And developers have done squat to update games for huge framerate or effects in high performance games.

I am with you though, I hope there comes a time where ipad 4 processing speed will be the standard for console like games. Would be glad to have my new ipad go extinct, and play those awesome games on my hdmi tv. And by then, I'll probably have the ipad 5 or 6 with an a7 or a8.

I just don't see getting a used ipad 4 for much of a discount if any, unless the ipad 5 comes out in March as rumoured, but who knows what will be happening, cause Apple really seems to be shifting gears lately.

12. You might be able to find an ipad 3 for $300 if you look hard enough out there since it is discontinued now. If the prices on an ipad 2 and 3 are similar, I would go with an ipad 3 for the retina screen and better gpu. What jbruu said about the ipad 2 out performing the ipad 3 is somewhat deceptive. The ipad 3 has a stronger gpu, so even though the new ipad pushes more pixels, I think the overall gaming in terms of fps are similar.

But that is without thinking about the retina itself, so it is like comparing apples with oranges. Plus developers really focused on the ipad 3 in terms of updates and optimizations, so developers will optimize games better for the ipad 3 than the ipad 2.

But, I really think you should try to get a ipad 3 for $300 on ebay, craigslist or elsewhere. It's not cause I have one, but because value wise, ipad 3 was kind of released before its time with issues like heatgate, weightgate, and underpoweredgate. Also, it is discontinued which helps, plus, games pretty much run the same as ipad 4 right now. I think it will be awhile before an ipad 3 can't run the current games anymore. Probably have a good two years left I would figure.

Anyway, that's just my two cents worth, get an ipad 3 for $300 if you can find one, I would recommend getting at least a 32 gb version or you will regret it.

Try finding some prices of used ipads on different places, and posting some actually prices and specs up here. Then we can have some more interesting converstations about pricepoints and whether you can even find a ipad 4 on sale.

13. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    OK, I'll do that. Thanks for all great advices.

I think I'll JB that iPad so to use emulators (+ iCade) too. Is that a good idea?

14. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Well jailbreaking will really increase the number of games you can play with the icade but you need to find an ipad that isnt in ios 6.x because there's no jailbreak for it yet. Thus you wouldn't be able to jailbreak an ipad 4 (it comes with ios 6)

15. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    A refurbished/used iPad 4 if you can find one, a new iPad 4 if you can't. I am told the difference to an iPad 2 or an iPad 3 is noticeable, if you are going to be playing games. It's not noticeable if you aren't using it for games (eg just for internet, watching TV, email), but you say you'll be mainly playing games so I would have thought the iPad 4 would be worth it.

Saying that, my iPad 2 still works just fine, but I'm sure they'll be more and more games in the near future that don't support the iPad 2. But then again there's a massive back catalogue of iPad games, if you're not worried about playing the latest stuff with the best graphics an iPad 2 would probably do.

You want a 64GB one of whatever version you choose if you're going to be playing a lot of games - my iPad has had more than 32GB of games on it since very soon after I bought it.

16. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    May I put in a word for my iPaddy bitty? The pixel density is sharper than on the 2, and I find the nearly non-existant bezel to be great for playing games with virtual joysticks, for instance. You can comfortably hold it in one hand, in any position for as long as you like. I dunno, I don't know if This is strange, but when I used my gf's ipad 2, I always held it up. Basically with one hand. Fatigued my wrist to say the least, not to mention having to contort my fingers to reach the controls sometimes. Now I have a cover thingy for my ipad mini that has a wrist strap on the back, which is handy for totin around.

Also, IMO, games with tilt-based controls are much easier to use on a mini then a 2 or 3.

Really, the biggest thing is the bezel...it barely has one on the sides (if you hold it in portrait mode).

I guess that doesn't matter if your using an iCade though, and the fact that it comes with ios 6 installed sucks.

17. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Can iPad 4 iOS be downgraded to 5.x? In my plans I'll jailbreak it for using emulators.

18. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    IIRC correctly it comes with ios 6.0 installed, which I believe means your out of luck for now.