Beginner app developer - iOS, Android, HTML5 or Unity?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by raynre, May 12, 2014.

1. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    It is free. You have to show their logo in the free version. A number of features are pro only which may or may not effect you.

http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses

2. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yup.

Personally, I haven't needed the pro version yet but I would like it at some stage. Profiler would be great.

3. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    If you are making a game which pushes the device the profiler is priceless however for a standard more simple mobile game you can easily get away without it.

You mainly want to keep the number of devices you can run on wide range of devices which means you aren't really pushing the edge graphically.

4. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Well, my cars are 20k+ polys each and the track is pretty detailed, mesh wise, so I guess you could say I'm "pushing it". I haven't "needed" the profiler yet, would just make it a bit easier to spot bottlenecks. I have the game running on iPhone4 (possibly 3GS) and up but obviously there are concessions made for lower devices ;)

5. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    need is a relative word :) I would die without it at work, but on my personal apps I would be fine without it.

There are pretty much work arounds for most things in unity so you can do anything in the free version.

Monument valley was made in unity, how awesome is that?

6. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I haven't seen it. But yeah, the free version is awesome and you can use Xcode's profiler to get an idea of what's going wrong. But yeah, I'd love to be able to afford pro :)

7. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC1jHHF_Wjo

8. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
  9. J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Game Dev (tools & tutorials)
    Alaska
    For many types of 2D games I recommend Corona SDK. http://CoronaLabs.com It's limited at this point to mobile devices, but they're beta-testing an HTML5 build option which could be used for desktop.

It's a code-only solution (no drag and drop stuff right now) but there's a free Starter edition and it has a *really* nice SDK that makes most stuff quick and easy to do.

Code:
    alien = display.newImage("images/ufo.png")
    That displays an image on the screen (and is actually a complete program you could build to device). Want to make it travel across the screen?

Code:
    transition.to (alien {time=1000, x=500})
    It uses Lua as the language which, while not common, is easy to pick up and really rocks when you get to know it.

Jay

10. Xaron

Xaron Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Well yes, Corona looks good too, but their pricing is really odd, actually. For what it does there are better solutions out there. ;)