Universal Junk Jack Retro (By Pixbits)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by New England Gamer, Nov 7, 2011.

1. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Believe me, I was one of the first to stamp my feet in protest and say I wasn't going to update. But I did. And I don't regret it. Other than not understanding where to put the new craft pages I found (or in truth, where they landed) it was seamless. The update is fantastic. You still need to find all the pages, they only give you a handful of moves and crafts. So please update, don't hold off for anything other than fear. I was fearful, I did it, so now you can too.

Besides, you are going to NEED to update to the next one which includes making the chests bigger - 48 slots instead of 12 (I think I read?) And then of course there will be the update to include the quests and finally be able to make the mailbox. And discover what the vial is for!

So hold out now, but there really isn't any point. The more recipes you collect now, the more you will have to recollect when you update at a future time.

You still collect them - see above. There is an update coming with the quests - see above. My goodness, the devs had to rush out a fix for people that could not play PERIOD and that delayed (sorry don't mean to speak for you pixbits) the quests and new things they probably had scheduled. Now with this latest wrinkle in the 2g story I am sure they are hard at work at that. We all can play the game, they can't. I am willing to let the other things get delayed a little so the ones that can't play can.

No, he was talking about those of us who were upset that the basic game play might change. Then the update hit. Then we realized that it didn't. No bugs here. Only bugs I see are of the 2g owners still, for whom I feel sorry that they can't play a great game. You might be talking about another rare bug that was there from the start - losing your inventory when creating a new world too quickly or maybe when getting call in the middle of it, or something like that. You can back up your data (thanks for the tips from some members who taught me) using the iTunes fileshare. Have a backup of you game data on your computer and if you experience that crash you will be able to reload it. Ok that isn't ideal but they are working on the fix.

@Pixbits and company - I am sorry I doubted you. I am eating my posts write now. I really should have trusted you would make the update amenable for all and you did!

2. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    One thing that needs re-iterated:

Yes, some people are still getting hit with crashes that wipe their current inventory. This is not a good thing, and I make no excuse for Pixbits that they have coded a crash recovery system that is not as robust as it should be. HOWEVER, Pixbits did engineer one thing in from the very beginning: the ability to back up all your character and world info from the file transfer dialog at the bottom of the apps tab for your device.

Would it be nice if we didn't need to back our stuff up? Sure. But the feature is there and if you're concerned about losing things, you ought to take advantage of it. If you do this regularly, you can't lose everything, just whatever you gathered since your last back up.

There's more detailed discussion here if none of that made any sense: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=112709&page=58

3. colourblind.cow

colourblind.cow Active Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Not talking about bugs for the 2g owners, i have mentioned some of the bugs i have encountered in my game after updating in a previous post. The bugs i mentioned was the retarded spawning of monsters in my house constantly even though there are torches one block apart, as well as the disappearance of treasures that were already on display before the update as well as post update as those that didn't disappear seem to be there merely graphically and nothing else. Neither of these bugs can be solved with backing up my data.

4. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Ok that was buried, didn't see that. But I am pretty sure if you keep a back up and your treasures disappear, loading the back up will overwrite it and your treasures should return.

Spawning of bad guys - can't help you there. Do you have an opening in the roof? A door open? I don't hear that happening to others but I am finding more bad guys after the update overall. So maybe you have an entry point for them?

5. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    When I went to back up this time I noticed there is a new file as well. In addition to the two .dat files there is a .dat.bak file. I saved it too, but any idea what that one is for?

6. arr4ws

arr4ws Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2010
    just had a weird bug. I tried to open 1 recipes , and my game crashed to home screen. Did tried multiple time , same problem. I just erased the recipe.

7. TimEggers

TimEggers Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    Thanks for sharing that, I agree, the update adds so much and doesn't take much (if anything substantial) away in terms of gameplay content. I hope the others that "kinda beat me up" :p over my observations will try this as open minded as you did and express their impression here.

The best thing about this conversation is so far its been mostly very postive and constructive and the awesome guys at Pixbits have been participating and listening to all the fans.

Junk Jack just keeps getting better and will keep getting better! :)

8. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    that's cool, thanks for clearing it out.

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    32GB iPhone4, updated to 5.0.1 last night, can still break blocks.

32GB 2nd gen iPod Touch iOS 4.2.1 starts now, but inventory is empty, and I can't break blocks (or kill animals.)

10. colourblind.cow

colourblind.cow Active Member

Jun 30, 2011
    No not like that. Let me try to explain it clearly. Before the update i had shelves with treasures on them. After the update the treasures still appear to be there. However using a hammer on the shelf will not cause the treasures to fall, rather the shelf will break directly. However the treasures will be floating in midair where the shelf once was. And they cannot be obtained again. I smashed that block repeated with my hammer and still they just floated there. And once i exit and save, and reenter my world, the treasures will be gone. Its as if after the update all the treasures already on display became just that, displays. Their location cannot be moved anymore, and to attempt to move it will just cause it to disappear.

And no, only entrance to my house is the door, and a skull spawned in my bedroom behind the bookshelf. Ironically the skull could not jump past the bookshelf to attack me which means it could not have jumped past the bookshelf to my bed. Hence the only possible reason is that it spawned behind the bookshelf.

11. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I assume based on the time stamps that when something prompts a save to the character file they're marking the original as .bak and saving a new copy. In theory, that would make things more robust since if the latest became corrupted the game could fall back to the last state, but based on some people's reports, that doesn't appear to be the case, at least not always.

I'm just making a point of backing all the contents up when I do my morning sync until these reports stop coming in. The only major glitch I've been hit with is the notes that cause the game to exit, but I'm just sticking the problematic ones in a chest until it gets fixed for 1.03

---
    As for monsters in the house, that's been happening all along, I doubt it has anything to do with this update. There's a number of posts about over at the official forum, and it's happened to me a number of times pre-update. So far, hasn't happened post-update, but I assume that it will. There seems to be some errors in their "enclosed structure" detection system.

12. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Never ending world

I finally found the invisible wall that prevents me from walking to the right and it made me wonder... Why doesn't the world just repeat? Walking to the end of tileset on the right starts over with whats on the left. Basically, I'd be able to "walk around the world."

Also, I've given up playing on my iphone for my ipad for 2 reasons. 1) The game just looks gorgeous at 2x (even better than iphone imo, but i love pixels) and 2) My save state is just far more developed than my iphone, no point in going back or shuffling saves in itunes - give us iCloud!

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    That would be pretty neat, but their moving to a proper "chunk" system with (near) infinite worlds is even better! :D

14. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    No reason we couldn't have both, though.

If nothing else, it would save some time if you didn't have to turn around at the "end of the world" when stripping a world of its trees or whatever.

15. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Pixbits, I noticed that you tweeted about larger chests in a future update. I was wondering if those chests would be crafted from new recipes, or if the current metal chests would become bigger. I guess I'm wondering if I should be stocking up on mithril chests or if stocking up on raw materials. Thanks.

16. dogxsx

dogxsx Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Hi, better material = bigger chest! :)

17. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    You can roast meat?? All this time, my dumb miner has been gnawing on raw pork!

18. Barak

Barak Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Portland, OR
    You've never heard of trichinosis? :D

19. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    For everyone who's annoyed with the new recipe book:I put the old one on a shelf as a reminder that i played alfa junk jack,a great treasure i must say.

20. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I had no idea about this. There really should be a brief instruction book somewhere that goes over these things. Or at LEAST link to the wiki from the game.

What I need, badly, is a way to create lights that don't drip :(

Otherwise I'm enjoying the game. I look forward to the hold to dig, it will make my fingers feel far earlier.