iPoe, interactive Edgar Allan Poe ebook, $3.99 --> FREE!

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by dclose, Oct 5, 2012.

1. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    #1 dclose, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2012
    App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

One of the best adaptations of horror master Edgar Allan Poe's stories is temporarily free in honor of anniversary of Poe's death. I love this ebook! It's very well done, and more content is being added over time. I purchased this a while ago, and it's a steal for free! It's a universal app, so works equally well on both iPhones and iPads.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Nice. My sister's gonna love this. Thanks for the heads up. =oD

3. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    This looks great thanks for sharing.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    LOL - was about to post this.

Highly recommended, goegeous - that's what I call a Digital Book.

5. I used to read books, but nowadays it's mostly sports, news, and sites like TA. My mom used to force me to read a book a week like some of the old classics, so guess I should download it when I get some free time, which will probably be never, but never hurts to have a book by your side.

6. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I remember seeing this, and I'm thrilled to get it for free. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

7. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    I've never read any Poe... but this looks well done.

Downloading...

Thanks!

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Paid for this about a week ago, no regrets. It's incredibly well done, but even with four stories (or three and one poem) it's pretty short. I wish they'd throw in a load more poems as extras even if they don't illustrate them, just so we'd have a more complete collection of Poe stuff to keep on our device. I don't think any of the apps on the store which boast full collections are very attractive or have been made with the care and attention I'd expect, they're mostly cash-in apps due to Poe's writings being free for commercial use.

9. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    too bad my english isn't good enough for reading (ok, understanding) poe natively, but this is really a great book-app!

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

As far as I know, there will be other volumes as updates soon. :)

11. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Free again!

12. XvEsunavX

XvEsunavX Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    I picked this up and tried the first few pages and it seems awesome. I'm saving it for my bedtime reading with headphones. Probably going to buy volume 2 for tomorrow night!

13. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Better than that, a second completely separate app.

14. Still not read, bad boy Connector!

15. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Free again! And highly recommended!

16. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    I have both iPoe books and I can also confirm that they are absolutely top notch apps. Beautiful interactive drawings, fantastic moody music. Simply brilliant.

17. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Thanks for head-up Habakuk

18. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Would you say this is suitable for an 8 year old? She has a reading age of 11 and I noticed the app description say 12 and above so thought I'd ask here. I've not read any Poe myself so even if it's too advanced for my daughter I'll be having a read myself.

19. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    #19 dclose, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    If your daughter reads Edgar Allan Poe poems, then there's nothing in the app that will be too much for her. There are ambient sounds (like a heart beating) to heighten the tension, and mildly scary drawings (like of a disembodied heart, as it's beating), but nothing that I, personally, would deem inappropriate for a child who can read who likes scary tales and can understand poetic imagery.

If you want to check out the poems ahead of time, the ones included in this app are:

- The Oval Portrait
    - The Tell-Tale Heart
    - Annabel Lee
    - The Masque of the Red Death

If you end up liking this, Volume 2 (a separate app) contains:

- Hop-Frog
    - The Raven
    - The Black Cat

As well as a look at the driving route you can take around New England to check out the various places Poe lived and wrote.

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think an 8 year old would struggle with the language a little, Poe uses a few words and terms that have largely fallen out of use. It doesn't happen too often though and they might be able to discern the meanings from context. As far as imagery and content goes, most kids would love it.