What to do about portrait-mode video?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by JoeStrout, Feb 15, 2017.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I'm thinking about posting some videos of our new game (Rocket Plume). I've read through Eli's guide here on taking & posting video.

But Rocket Plume is an obligatory portrait-mode game... I mean, I guess I could turn it sideways, but that's not how the game is meant to be played. But YouTube hates portrait-mode video. I don't think there's any way to avoid giant black letterboxing on the sides.

What do folks do in this situation? Should I try to find some interesting content to put in the extra space (like head shots of the player, perhaps)? Or just not worry about it, and learn to love the black bars?

2. MadeOfDinosaurs

MadeOfDinosaurs Active Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Videogame Developer
    UK
    Hi,
    My current project is also just portrait.
    I've found the portrait videos do look a little lost on desktop, and oddly small via the YouTube app, however- when viewing from the touch arcade forums on my phone- they show full screen, no borders, and an excellent preview of the game. So consider where and who your viewers are.
    if you do want to fill the edges, one technique I've seen I like is having a scaled/blurred/darkened copy of the video playing full screen under the 'proper' preview (which sits in the middle with correct portrait aspect ratio and scale).
    I'm failing to find examples on my phone right now, and also no idea how it's achieved (I only have iMovie)- but I've liked the effect when I've seen it.

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Really? That's interesting. I thought that YouTube only did landscape mode, and added the borders automatically -- so I wonder how TA does that?

I've seen it too, but man, it drives me nuts. :) Different strokes for different folks, I guess!

But thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your thoughts.