★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: **"In Onslaught players can expect the kind of portable X-COM experience theyve always wanted." --148apps.com
**"AvH: Onslaught is like a tribute band for X-Com it hits all of the same notes as the original: recruitable (and re-nameable) troops who learn as they gain experience, cagey aliens who see in the dark better than you do, bases that you build and staff, research that you direct, randomized combat maps the whole lot." -- pockettactics.com

AvH 2.0.8 is TWO games in one choose to play only tactical missions (training missions - the original AvH) OR take on the responsibility that comes with world management by playing 'The Onslaught'.

Aliens versus Humans: THE ONSLAUGHT

You have been hired by the United Countries of Earth (UCE) to defend our planet. Your job is to build bases around the globe in order to detect alien Teleportation Events. Once detected, you must send team(s) of soldiers out to remove the Alien threat and recover any Alien technology.
Beware, the Aliens have superior firepower and you will need to research and manufacture better gear in order to have a chance of winning the war against them. The UCE has provided a fully functional base that will get you up and running.

The rest is up to you...

!@#$% Intercepted communication 18:13a5f506 !@#$%^

Features List:
* Bases - build up to 8 bases around the Earth.
* Geoscape A world view of your bases, crafts and active teleportation events.
* Base Management: build facilities, view base info, equip soldiers, research, manufacture, purchase, sell and transfer items between bases.
* New and updated battle terrains including: Farm, Urban, Industrial, Arctic, Jungle and Desert.
* A Pedia to help you keep track of all your gear, crafts, alien corpses and artifacts.
* Four levels of difficulty: n00b, Challenging, Hard and Cruel.
* Interactive mission tutorials and a quick tutorial.
* Randomly generated battle maps, day and night missions, destructible terrain, on-the-fly Line of Sight and 4 zoom levels.
* Soldiers' stats improve based on their experience during missions.

--A Note on IAPs:

IAPs are new in this version. The game balance has NOT changed so purchasing in game currency is NOT required to complete the game - this is only for those that want to advance quicker than the game allows by default.

This is a challenging game. If you're struggling with funding, change your strategy. Many people have won the game on Cruel difficulty without IAPs, it can be done. Keep trying.

Aliens versus Humans: TRAINING MISSIONS

The original AvH content has moved under 'Training Missions'. If you're looking for the thrill of combat without the extra responsibility of world management then 'Training Missions' is for you.

Features List:
* Design and play your own missions. Choose terrain, soldiers, weapons, armor. Set alien intelligence from easy to truly evil.
OR
* Play 25 missions that proceed along a storyline, including night time missions.
* 11 weapons and 3 armor types that unlock based on game progression.
* 3 star rating system for missions.
* Your soldiers' stats improve based on their experience during missions.
* Randomly generated maps = ultimate replayability.
* Destructible terrain.
* On-the-fly Line of Sight.
* Ability to customize your squad for each mission.
* 4 zoom levels that allow you to see more of the battle map or get up close and personal.
* 20 achievements that will challenge you beyond the game.

A Note from the developers:

We hope you enjoy the latest release of Aliens versus Humans. Aliens versus Humans has been two years in the making and many features have been added as a result of user feedback. Please help support us by rating/reviewing the app, liking us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aliens-versus-Humans/323015897724713), following us on twitter @aliensvshumans as well as providing feedback through our support link.

Thanks
Al(ien) and Hu(man)

goiMot's comments:

11-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Nice, this looks like a pretty good xcom inspired game. I'll have to pick this up.

11-23-2011, 10:06 PM

Last edited by Sanuku; 11-27-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: HD Gameplay Trailer added.
11-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Now on the U.S. app store. Very tempting at that price, any impressions on gameplay performance?

Favorite mobile RTS: Autumn Dynasty, Amoebattle & Red Conquest
Great TBS/SRPGs: Wesnoth, Battle Academy, Kingturn, Pantheon Cycle, Dungeon Crawlers, SW&E, Viking Lords, Metal Brigade Tactics, Tactical Soldier, Ravenmark, Tactics Maiden and Banner Saga

Last edited by Marcus70; 11-23-2011 at 10:14 PM.
11-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
Still unsure about this small One since i am currently already playing a few other X-Com Clones and they are presenting the hole Gameplay a few Quality Levels above this One. I`ll wait with the buy till a few of you have gave it a try.
What other ones are you playing?
11-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Played for a bit and can say that the UI is very user friendly and reminiscent of X-com. Select a player character then click on field location and they will travel as far as their "turn units" will allow. In addition to walking turn units can be spent on shooting or throwing a grenade provided there are targets within line of fire. Obstacles and allies can obscure line of fire limiting attack options or allowing to hide from attack. Using weapons has several variants including various levels of damage/accuracy (lower quality shits use fewer turn units). Turn units not used in okay can be conserved to counter enemy attack with a preselected intensity of affack. Enemy turns mainly happen behind a "hidden movement" screen and those visible are shown. The first levels seems well populated with aliens. The art design is not for everyone but I like it and appreciate that this game is only 11mb. However at times art is too generic with vague/bland aliens and making it hard to tell squad members apart in a sea of similar looking soldiers. Squad members do have differences in stamina/accuracy/etc. The squad units have good stat tracking with number of kills,etc logged automatically. Once started I couldn't figure out how to end or restart a level mid-game.

I can better comment on balance, advancement, etc later but the basic gameplay mechanics are smooth and logical so far I'm enjoying the game.

Last edited by undeadcow; 11-23-2011 at 11:04 PM.
11-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Hey undeadcow. Hit the topleft Pause menu that will give you access to "end turn", "load game", "save game" and "tutorial".

Have fun and keep the feedback coming.

Al(ien).
11-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Does it have the base building qualities of XCom and monitoring of the planet etc?
11-24-2011, 05:14 AM
We choose to focus only on actual missions. Research is now done through the notion of XP where the better you do on missions, the earlier you will unlock better gear. I, for one, never liked getting beaten up during the first month or so while you were slowly building out a base and personally found the research progression slow. Our game has been designed to focus on missions and leveraging achievements and how well you perform to tie into better gear.

Al(ien)
11-24-2011, 06:02 AM
Thank you for the response, I appreciate it.

I'd like to ask how active you plan to be on supporting this app in the future. Knowing a dev will continuously be updating their titles is a big thing when I decide to buy. Can you briefly explain what plans you have to enhance this game in the future?
(Just read this back, so sorry that it sound like an interview!)